Questions for Android Converts

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been in these forums for a long time. I jump from Android to iOS and back again rather frequently - I'm not an addict, I can quit anytime! :)

Just for a brief history of my phones, I went from the BlackBerry world to a Droid X, to a Droid 3, to an iPhone 4, then a Moto Razr, then a Galaxy Nexus, then an iPhone 4S, then a Galaxy S3, then I used an iPhone 5 for roughly 8 months before making the journey back to Android with a DNA, then an S4, and now a Moto X. I've been back with Android since last March, so going on 11 months. The Moto X is a great phone. Good battery life, no crap skins, and customizable - but it leaves me feeling like it isn't premium, and I don't trust Moto if something goes wrong with it as their customer service hasn't been real solid. However, Punit Soni and some other high ups in Moto are great and respond to questions/complaints on G+ quite frequently.

I'm also firmly invested in Google's ecosystem, being that I use GMail, Google Calendar, Keep (for notes), Google Music (All Access member here), and use a ChromeCast at home. I do have quite a number of paid apps on iOS, as well, after being on it for probably over a year with the 4, 4S, and 5. I do like Android a lot - I like the freedom and customization where I feel like I can make my phone/tablet MINE - but it feels like every phone is missing something and I'm always looking for the next thing. The Moto X is SO CLOSE, but that camera is terrible and I use my smartphone as my digital camera and I'm always taking pictures of my daughters. Feeling like I'm going to miss out on a special moment drives me insane.

I'm looking at going back to iOS, which I haven't used since before iOS 7 was released. If I go back, I'm going at it full bore - meaning I'll be buying an iPad and Apple TV, too. But I haven't used iOS 7, and I'm not sure how easy it is to use all things Google while on an iPhone. I use two email accounts (Hotmail and Gmail) and I'd like them both in the Apple Email app, and not have to use both GMail and the Email app.

I guess what I'd like to know is if there are any Android converts out there, preferably recent ones, who could give me some insight into their transition and their experience. Sorry for the ramble and taking so long to get to some sort of question!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at going back to iOS, which I haven't used since before iOS 7 was released. If I go back, I'm going at it full bore - meaning I'll be buying an iPad and Apple TV, too. But I haven't used iOS 7, and I'm not sure how easy it is to use all things Google while on an iPhone. I use two email accounts (Hotmail and Gmail) and I'd like them both in the Apple Email app, and not have to use both GMail and the Email app.
Doing Hotmail & Gmail in the stock Mail app is very doable...

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Doing Hotmail & Gmail in the stock Mail app is very doable...

Right. Just wanting to know people's experience with it. Does it delete the emails off the server from there or just the phone to where I'd have to go through the Gmail app or computer to actually delete them?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Right. Just wanting to know people's experience with it. Does it delete the emails off the server from there or just the phone to where I'd have to go through the Gmail app or computer to actually delete them?

The Gmail on iPhone uses IMAP... you can modify what happens on Google's end by logging into Gmail via web browser, going to settings... and 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab in the Gmail settings.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The Gmail on iPhone uses IMAP... you can modify what happens on Google's end by logging into Gmail via web browser, going to settings... and 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab in the Gmail settings.

Are there any specific settings I should change?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully you make the transition back you just might find iOS 7 very refreshing

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

LuckRocks

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been in these forums for a long time. I jump from Android to iOS and back again rather frequently - I'm not an addict, I can quit anytime! :)

Just for a brief history of my phones, I went from the BlackBerry world to a Droid X, to a Droid 3, to an iPhone 4, then a Moto Razr, then a Galaxy Nexus, then an iPhone 4S, then a Galaxy S3, then I used an iPhone 5 for roughly 8 months before making the journey back to Android with a DNA, then an S4, and now a Moto X. I've been back with Android since last March, so going on 11 months. The Moto X is a great phone. Good battery life, no crap skins, and customizable - but it leaves me feeling like it isn't premium, and I don't trust Moto if something goes wrong with it as their customer service hasn't been real solid. However, Punit Soni and some other high ups in Moto are great and respond to questions/complaints on G+ quite frequently.

I'm also firmly invested in Google's ecosystem, being that I use GMail, Google Calendar, Keep (for notes), Google Music (All Access member here), and use a ChromeCast at home. I do have quite a number of paid apps on iOS, as well, after being on it for probably over a year with the 4, 4S, and 5. I do like Android a lot - I like the freedom and customization where I feel like I can make my phone/tablet MINE - but it feels like every phone is missing something and I'm always looking for the next thing. The Moto X is SO CLOSE, but that camera is terrible and I use my smartphone as my digital camera and I'm always taking pictures of my daughters. Feeling like I'm going to miss out on a special moment drives me insane.

I guess what I'd like to know is if there are any Android converts out there, preferably recent ones, who could give me some insight into their transition and their experience. Sorry for the ramble and taking so long to get to some sort of question!

Switched from the s4 on ATT to the 5s about a month ago and I haven't looked back. Very impressed with ios7.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully you make the transition back you just might find iOS 7 very refreshing

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure yet. There are a lot of things I really like about Android. One thing that always sticks in the back of my mind is that something isn't going to work right and I'll have no recourse. And for OCD reasons, iOS is much better. :)

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I went from the galaxy S4 to the 5S. So happy to be back to the iPhone. I went from the iPhone 3G to the 4 and then went to the galaxy note and then the S4. I was never truly satisfied with android.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I went from the galaxy S4 to the 5S. So happy to be back to the iPhone. I went from the iPhone 3G to the 4 and then went to the galaxy note and then the S4. I was never truly satisfied with android.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

I think that's part of my issue with Android. I really like it. A lot. Especially the ability to make the phone "mine". But it seems like something is always missing, and I'm never completely satisfied.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have always liked my S4, and how it felt and how it really flies on apps.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm on a Moto X now and I can't complain about the speed or the fact that it doesn't lag. But it still feels like it's missing something.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm on a Moto X now and I can't complain about the speed or the fact that it doesn't lag. But it still feels like it's missing something.

I'm guessing, maybe, you miss the consistency in the app designs on it, and maybe it just doesn't have that sleek feeling to the user interface of Android compared to iOS?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing, maybe, you miss the consistency in the app designs on it, and maybe it just doesn't have that sleek feeling to the user interface of Android compared to iOS?

Yeah, honestly I think that's exactly it. And camera. Still haven't found one that's as good as the iPhone.

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I had a S2 for 2 years and i loved it! best phone i had ever owned, i had every intention of sticking with android, does everything i wanted and more. I loved being able to customize everything on the phone and had it all setup exactly how i wanted. After 2 years though i was getting a bit bored with android overall and decided to switch. Got a good deal on a 5C to begin with and i fell in love with it. The handset itself was lovely to hold and having a smaller screen initially was a bit off putting but i got used to it and the increase in resolution and being able to use the phone one handed was worth the drop in size.

Unfortunately though i had problems with my 5C so swapped it for another, had issues with the second handset so ended up getting a free upgrade to a 5S, it's honestly the best phone I've owned. Everything just works with ios, with android i used to have issues with crashes and stuff but had got used to it after 2 years but don't think i could go back now. I use gmail and it all works fine on the 5S, i had no issues getting my contacts on the iphone either.

My only complaint is the actual build quality of iphones, coming to Apple i expected the highest quality possible but out of 3 phones in the space of 3 weeks, 2 of them were faulty. My 5S has some very minor issues, power button rattles and i've picked up a scuff on the case but i do feel better knowing i can go to a Apple store in the future and change it if i find any further faults. I think i was just very lucky with my S2 as it was perfect and i never had to deal with Samsung but i doubt it would have been as easy as going to a Apple store.

When my contract ends i'm going to have to see what's about, i have every intention on getting the next iphone but Android is a great system and who knows what will be about in 2 years.

Merthod

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site

I love romantic questions lol.

To me both are pretty much the same. However I do enjoy the Apple ecosystem for accessories and stuff since in Android is device specific.

About email management you should be careful about using the apps, especially with the Apple mail as I believe these are made for enterprise emailing. If you receive a lot of emails you can expect a good chunk of space be used by these. I've always preferred using the respective app or even a third email account that receives forwarded emails from the others. Specially from those senders relevant to you. I do this because I'm picky about what I see in my phone and I hate being notified about every email that comes along knowing I really check fewer than 10% of them all.

What I love about android devices are the larger screens. I enjoy more using phablets (about 5"-5.5") because I use wifi a lot. However I do enjoy more the iphone music apps for discovering music and such. Android music apps are pretty rudimentary. As with any phone all has their ups and downs.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen