Debating on switching to a 5s

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think too much will change. Nokia and Windows send out joint updates and [as far as I am aware], Nokia will still be responsible for the software so there ought not to be update upsets. There is a big upgrade to 8.1 on its way soon too.

That's the problem.
It's up to Microsofts new CEO whoever that may be.

Perhaps theirs hope windows phone 8 doesn't get abandoned like windows phone 7.

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm primarily an Android user, but awhile ago I carried 2 active phones. I liked to switch it up with other OS's. I had a Lumia 920, and then I had the opportunity to trade, with a bit of cash, for an iPhone 5. After getting the iPhone 5 and starting to use it, my first thought was, "Now this is a real phone!"

WP is unique to say the least, but it's still quite buggy and immature. It's also missing a lot of features that are present in iOS & Android. Some people like WP (I think the reason is often because they like Microsoft or Nokia, or because it's NOT iPhone/Android) and put up with its shortcomings, but you obviously are not one who's willing to do that. I recommend returning it before the 14 day period is over, and get what you want. 2 years is a long time to be forced to use something you don't like or gives you trouble.

I've since deactivated my 2nd line, and I sold the iPhone 5. I again have a 920 which I bought very cheap, but I use it WiFi only. I'm carrying it mainly to keep up with WP's progress. I wouldn't say I'll never primarily use a WP, but they have a lot of ground to cover first.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had a windows phone for a bit a couple of years ago (Samsung Focus Flash). I did like the phone and the os, but there were many issues (as stated above), a lack of apps, and a lack of support (I found at least). I went back to the iPhone. As a matter of fact, I ALWAYS go back to the iPhone and I don't see myself changing that for a while.

I like to test out other phones for a change of pace, but it only lasts a month or so before I get bored of it and miss my iOS. Most times, I feel guilty...like I am offending my iPhone haha.

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm primarily an Android user, but awhile ago I carried 2 active phones. I liked to switch it up with other OS's. I had a Lumia 920, and then I had the opportunity to trade, with a bit of cash, for an iPhone 5. After getting the iPhone 5 and starting to use it, my first thought was, "Now this is a real phone!"

WP is unique to say the least, but it's still quite buggy and immature. It's also missing a lot of features that are present in iOS & Android. Some people like WP (I think the reason is often because they like Microsoft or Nokia, or because it's NOT iPhone/Android) and put up with its shortcomings, but you obviously are not one who's willing to do that. I recommend returning it before the 14 day period is over, and get what you want. 2 years is a long time to be forced to use something you don't like or gives you trouble.

I've since deactivated my 2nd line, and I sold the iPhone 5. I again have a 920 which I bought very cheap, but I use it WiFi only. I'm carrying it mainly to keep up with WP's progress. I wouldn't say I'll never primarily use a WP, but they have a lot of ground to cover first.

This is a really good description of what I did at first. I had an HTC Arrive running WP7 and after a few months I bought an iPhone 4 off contract and I was so amazed at how complete it felt, However i kept my HTC just so i could keep up with WP. Fast forward to now and I feel stuck in the same scenario. Windows Phone is really cool, but I'm afraid that after the cool factor wears off I'll miss the functionality of an iPhone.

anon(7808135)

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you traded in your 925 for a different one? I have multiple phones including the 925 and mine has never had those problems. You might have got a bad one. Take it in to see if they can get you a new one or get the 5S. As long as your happy with what you have, that's all that matters.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
A notification centre is due to come with the next update to 8.1, which will sort a lot of these areas out. In the meantime, you can set different sounds for email and text. Additionally, you can set Twitter and SMS to show a preview across the top of your screen, even when the screen is off. Not perfect, but a work around until the update comes.

While I know 8.1 has been secretly leaking pictures of the notification centre, nothing is official. My huge problem with WP was the waiting game, it's now jan 2014, black is being distributed and 8.1 is still a ghost. Black update does add important missing features but it wasn't enough for me so I jumped ship...for now

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm like you, but in reverse! I switched from iPhone5 to a 920. The bundled maps and Office were a persuader for me along with the thinking that the 920 would be more 'businessy' - at the time I couldn't silence the iPhone 5 text/email sent swoosh which sounded a little teenagery in a business meeting. However, Lumia calendar is lacking too many basic features to be a proper business phone...

When my contract is up, I am considering the 5s...

I do give Nokia a thumbs up for the HERE drive, it's awesome and doesn't use data...it was a huge selling point and works great. Office, meh...i have a work phone and only use this specific sim for personal so it wasn't a selling point for me. Don't get me wrong the 920 is an awesome phone, I especially love it's body....but the wp8 os is just buggy and needs work still

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
This is an iPhone forum. Of course we're going to say join us.

That said, that you're posting here shows what you want -- so join us! :p

My 5s has been rock solid.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm a firm believer in buying something for what it is now, not what it might be or do in the future. That said, what you see is what you get with iPhone, and what you get is a very well rounded, feature loaded, stable device with the greatest selection of 1st and 3rd party applications available. WP8 might get some much needed improvements down the road, but there are a ton of variables there. Will your device get those updates? Will the updates come out in a timely manner? Will someone else come out with something even better in the mean time?

If your current device isn't doing it for you, then I think the decision is simple. Make the switch. You can always go back later on if the changes you need are made.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Looks as though my comment was misinterpreted and I may not have been clear in my reply (sorry), but I understood your original comment to be that you expected MS to drop/ignore WP8 once the Nokia takeover goes through. My reply was intended to reassure that the regular updates we get are expected to continue. WP8.1 is on it's way and there are rumours about for WP9. As these are MS updates, I expect the platform to continue receiving attention and updates, rather than being sidelined.

I don't know much about WP7, but from what I gather on WP Central, it seems MS joined the mobile party too quickly, too late and then spent it's time sorting out WP7 problems by creating WP8. MS were too slow to the market. In the 5 months I've had my WP8 phone, I've received 2 or 3 updates and the major one to 8.1 is yet to come and I expect more on top from both Nokia and MS.

I don't know who the new CEO will be, or what their plans are for WP8, but in this day and age, I would be shocked if they dropped it. The lesson I hope they will have learned will be from Blackberry, where the board fell asleep at the wheel...

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You're right about the rumours, but sadly, every company plays the same game - Google didn't acknowledge KitKat or the Nexus 5 until they put it on the Play store. Apple didn't acknowledge iOS7 or 5s (I think), until they launched them.

The only company in recent years to make announcements about new phones and software is Blackberry and they couldn't keep to their own dates, missing them by about a year!!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks as though my comment was misinterpreted and I may not have been clear in my reply (sorry), but I understood your original comment to be that you expected MS to drop/ignore WP8 once the Nokia takeover goes through. My reply was intended to reassure that the regular updates we get are expected to continue. WP8.1 is on it's way and there are rumours about for WP9. As these are MS updates, I expect the platform to continue receiving attention and updates, rather than being sidelined.

I don't know much about WP7, but from what I gather on WP Central, it seems MS joined the mobile party too quickly, too late and then spent it's time sorting out WP7 problems by creating WP8. MS were too slow to the market. In the 5 months I've had my WP8 phone, I've received 2 or 3 updates and the major one to 8.1 is yet to come and I expect more on top from both Nokia and MS.

I don't know who the new CEO will be, or what their plans are for WP8, but in this day and age, I would be shocked if they dropped it. The lesson I hope they will have learned will be from Blackberry, where the board fell asleep at the wheel...

Not drop or ignore, but go in another direction with windows phone 9, is what I meant.
Microsoft replaced its kernel in wm8 thus ending compatibility with wm7.

It is a risk at the moment to go wm8 with so much uncertainty looming, especially regarding how Microsoft intends to transition to a 64 bit architecture. It's not as cut and dry as you might hope.

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Have you traded in your 925 for a different one? I have multiple phones including the 925 and mine has never had those problems. You might have got a bad one. Take it in to see if they can get you a new one or get the 5S. As long as your happy with what you have, that's all that matters.

If you have both the 925 and the 5s, what's your opinion? What do you use as your daily driver?

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I use to have a win phone running 6.0 it ran ok for those times a few freezes but that was normal. Fast forward to 2014 I couldn't except that much instability that's why I rock a 5s

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

@Kataran, @Septembersrain#AC - Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 8 are two totally different beasts. The later is leaps and bounds better, absolutely nothing like Windows Mobile.

@Strings78 - Like Keith mentioned, if you decide not to switch, and still keep having issues with the Lumia, you will end up regretting getting locked into 2 years (or AT&T NEXT financing) for a phone you are not truly happy with. Also, the 5S is a whole new experience if you are coming from an iPhone 4. You will not be disappointed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the sense that you prefer Apple's ecosystem a little more than WP8, but like me, like to try new things from time to time. Even though I try new phones all the time, I always come back to, and prefer Apple's hardware and software, but that'e me and what suits my needs.

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the sense that you prefer Apple's ecosystem a little more than WP8, but like me, like to try new things from time to time. Even though I try new phones all the time, I always come back to, and prefer Apple's hardware and software, but that'e me and what suits my needs.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I love pulling for the underdog and I really like trying new things that I think have the ability to take off. I really like the Apple Ecosystem, but I love the design of iOS. I've decided to give my Lumia until Sunday then make a decision on weather to keep it or not.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I love pulling for the underdog and I really like trying new things that I think have the ability to take off. I really like the Apple Ecosystem, but I love the design of iOS. I've decided to give my Lumia until Sunday then make a decision on weather to keep it or not.

Sounds good. Its ALL about what meets and suits YOUR needs best in the end :)

Strings78

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to let you all know that I decided to switch to the iPhone and that i just picked up my 5s!! Very excited to be back with the iPhone!! Thank you for all of your help/opinions! Can't wait to see you all again on the message boards again!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to let you all know that I decided to switch to the iPhone and that i just picked up my 5s!! Very excited to be back with the iPhone!! Thank you for all of your help/opinions! Can't wait to see you all again on the message boards again!

Congrats on your new iPhone 5s.....hope to see you around iMore....ENJOY

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77