Happy to announce that I was able to get my hands on a space gray 5s today by trading on Craigslist. I noticed that there is a dead pixel on the screen and have an appt with the Genius Bar tomorrow. Anyone know if they'll replace the screen or the entire device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-11-2014 10:10 PM
    I am pretty sure on the 5S they can just swap out the screen.
    01-11-2014 10:25 PM
    Thanks. I know I had the same issue with my iphone 4 and they replaced the entire device but wasn't sure if anything had changed.

01-11-2014 10:42 PM
    Yea I know screen on the 4/S was a beast to change out. On 5S they can swap out a lot more volume buttons, vibrate motor, speaker etc. I actually prefer a part swap rather than the whole device. Especially when everything is perfect but that one thing.
    TheRewardisCheese likes this.
    01-11-2014 10:56 PM
    It might just be the screen that they replace. Depends on how they're feeling will determine that (sometimes the genius' go by their own rules).

I had a problem with the SIM card slot on a iPhone 5 that I got on Craigslist. They looked at the phone and could've replaced the part but they gave me a new phone instead.
    01-11-2014 11:05 PM
    Yea I know screen on the 4/S was a beast to change out. On 5S they can swap out a lot more volume buttons, vibrate motor, speaker etc. I actually prefer a part swap rather than the whole device. Especially when everything is perfect but that one thing.
    In reality, I don't really care what they do. I was just asking out of curiosity. In preparation, I've backed up and wiped the device to remove sensitive information. I'll report back tomorrow to tell you all what they ended up doing.

01-11-2014 11:39 PM
    So I had my appt with the genius today and he replaced my 5s without hesitation. He made sure it was indeed a dead pixel and got me a new device. He says that they aren't able to replace the screen on the 5s yet. So there you have it!

01-12-2014 07:28 PM
    So I had my appt with the genius today and he replaced my 5s without hesitation. He made sure it was indeed a dead pixel and got me a new device. He says that they aren't able to replace the screen on the 5s yet. So there you have it!

Glad the problem got solved. Enjoy your new device!!!
    eyecrispy likes this.
    01-12-2014 08:14 PM

Great to know ... So how is the replacement? Good as new?
    01-16-2014 12:21 AM
    Great to know ... So how is the replacement? Good as new?
    Looks brand spankin new to me! Could be a refurb but I can't know for sure. I did look up the serial on their self solve site and my warranty is now until January of 2015!
    jburke82 and bbdodgersdude like this.
    01-16-2014 08:41 AM
    Looks brand spankin new to me! Could be a refurb but I can't know for sure. I did look up the serial on their self solve site and my warranty is now until January of 2015!
    It's a win-win!
    01-16-2014 12:50 PM
    It's a win-win!
    You know, I was thinking the same thing. Not that the guy I who traded me is a scammer or anything, but you hear a lot of stories about Craigslist deals gone bad. If he were to stop paying on his account or report the phone stolen, I am guessing my phone will still work. At least I hope it would.
    01-16-2014 03:45 PM