Iphone 5 vs 5S

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just love getting the latest and the greatest. Period.
I'll be getting the iPhone 6 when it comes out too.
Go get the 5S , you'll love it.

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
How did I change my tune, A7, is the best iphone processor, it is more future proof than buying the 5s A6? A 64 bit processor is not a huge deal in the Mobile space because of what you do on your mobile machine. Nor is it the first. Nor does making a 64 bit variant of a processor inherently make it faster than ab32 bit processor. gPU will make much bigger difference in the one really intensive thing people currently do gaming. Speech recognition , biometric security is where I see 64bit processing coming in handy , user applications not so much unless w change what we do on our phones, if anything maybe tablets will gain the most. My pint is you aren't rendering avatar on your phone. Either case none my statements are contradictions.

The 5s processor is better it will serve longer, that does not mean the A7 revolutionized the market. It's evolutionary and it's only 1 implementation of ARM64. Nor is it the first.

So which phone maker had a 64 bit chip in their phones before apple?

64 bit is a big deal even if apple only incorporated 1 gig of memory. In addition 64 bit can be more efficient than 32 bit as certain operations take less clock cycles to accomplish the same amount of work. A 64 bit architecture can move data around faster, if in fact the bus width is broadened. All of this trickles down to a better end user experience, so I can't see where you are coming from. Its always a balancing act between hardware and software.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
So which phone maker had a 64 bit chip in their phones before apple?

64 bit is a big deal even if apple only incorporated 1 gig of memory. In addition 64 bit can be more efficient than 32 bit as certain operations take less clock cycles to accomplish the same amount of work. A 64 bit architecture can move data around faster, if in fact the bus width is broadened. All of this trickles down to a better end user experience, so I can't see where you are coming from. Its always a balancing act between hardware and software.

Apple is the first to put 64bit ARM cortex in a consumer mobile, it is not the first 64 bit ARM implementation. If you believe by default because a chip is 64 bit it definitely is faster than a 32 bit variant of a chip, then there really is nothing to argue about. Yhere are a million other factors at play, it may or may not be is the correct answer. Given that this the case how can you by default say it's a better end user experience. Take x86 64 bit vs 32 bit applications, often times the 64 bit version of app was slower in performance. Do I agree 64 bit theoretically is better yes, but theory and actuality has way more factors than that. Again,your argument is like saying a 1.5 ghz processor is faster than a 1.3 ghz by default, it's clocked higher is the only certainty, actual performance has many more factors. Short of it your oversimplifying by saying because it's 64 bit it is going to perform better. Is A7 better than A6 , yes.

"In 2011, AppliedMicro became the first company to implement the ARMv8-A architecture with its X-Gene Platform. In November 2012 at ARM TechCon, AppliedMicro demonstrated advanced web search capabilities and the ability to handle big data workloads in an Apache Hadoop software environment with the X-Gene Platform using FPGA emulation. A silicon implementation of X-Gene was first exhibited publicly in June 2013.[3]"

Nvidia also has implemented ARM v8-A in , Tegra 5 , being released this year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ Does your rant have any relevance to specific performance issues with the iPhone 5S compared to any other device (or older chips sets)? Or are you just randomly talking out of your derri?re?

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Apple is the first to put 64bit ARM cortex in a consumer mobile, it is not the first 64 bit ARM implementation.

The bold is the critical information in your sentence. The rest of your sentence is irrelevant. The world cares about what apple does and that is reflected in it's stock price; what is the stock price of AppliedMicro?

If you believe by default because a chip is 64 bit it definitely is faster than a 32 bit variant of a chip, then there really is nothing to argue about. Yhere are a million other factors at play, it may or may not be is the correct answer. Given that this the case how can you by default say it's a better end user experience. Take x86 64 bit vs 32 bit applications, often times the 64 bit version of app was slower in performance. Do I agree 64 bit theoretically is better yes, but theory and actuality has way more factors than that. Again,your argument is like saying a 1.5 ghz processor is faster than a 1.3 ghz by default, it's clocked higher is the only certainty, actual performance has many more factors. Short of it your oversimplifying by saying because it's 64 bit it is going to perform better. Is A7 better than A6 , yes.

5S seems to be faster than the 5C. 64 bit is less about measuring with a stop watch how fast a given app start and finishes and is more about the concurrency, throughput and efficiency. You can find exceptions all over the place so it really doesn't make any sense to try and convince each other. The issue is way too specific and way too complex to discuss in any meaningful fashion.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
^^^ Does your rant have any relevance to specific performance issues with the iPhone 5S compared to any other device (or older chips sets)? Or are you just randomly talking out of your derri?re?

It's not random. He is trying to downplay that Apple has the first successful consumer mobile implementation of a 64 bit chip; beating out every other manfacturer.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Apple is the first to put 64bit ARM cortex in a consumer mobile, it is not the first 64 bit ARM implementation. If you believe by default because a chip is 64 bit it definitely is faster than a 32 bit variant of a chip, then there really is nothing to argue about. Yhere are a million other factors at play, it may or may not be is the correct answer. Given that this the case how can you by default say it's a better end user experience. Take x86 64 bit vs 32 bit applications, often times the 64 bit version of app was slower in performance. Do I agree 64 bit theoretically is better yes, but theory and actuality has way more factors than that. Again,your argument is like saying a 1.5 ghz processor is faster than a 1.3 ghz by default, it's clocked higher is the only certainty, actual performance has many more factors. Short of it your oversimplifying by saying because it's 64 bit it is going to perform better. Is A7 better than A6 , yes.

"In 2011, AppliedMicro became the first company to implement the ARMv8-A architecture with its X-Gene Platform. In November 2012 at ARM TechCon, AppliedMicro demonstrated advanced web search capabilities and the ability to handle big data workloads in an Apache Hadoop software environment with the X-Gene Platform using FPGA emulation. A silicon implementation of X-Gene was first exhibited publicly in June 2013.[3]"

Nvidia also has implemented ARM v8-A in , Tegra 5 , being released this year.

Your x86_64 example does not apply to ARMv8. Your comparing a desktop architecture to a mobile architecture when both are completely different in every aspect. If you think that ARMv8 has the same characteristics as x86_64 they don't, I've actually read up on ARMv8 and NONE of your x86_64 comparisons apply to ARMv8 in any way. ARM did not repeat the same mistakes as Intel/AMD did with x86_64, instead they redid the ARMv8 instruction set from scratch. In turn it made everything run better. 32 bit application run better when using the ARMv8 instruction set compared to the ARMv7 instruction set and 64 bit apps run better cause ARM made 32 bit and 64 bit applications use their respectable instruction sets but both can run at the same time without issues. So I suggest you read up on ARMv8 cause it is no where close in any way that x86_64 was.

So in conclusion the A7 is way better than the A6 in every way and the A7 will probably last the longest with software updates but again it's up the customer to decide what they want and what they need in a phone.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

The last part cause he has no idea what ARMv8 is and how it make a difference with the A7 chip in the 5S

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not random. He is trying to downplay that Apple has the first successful consumer mobile implementation of a 64 bit chip; beating out every other manfacturer.

I know, my comment was a bit of sarcasm because I know what this person is doing, and I know what he's been doing the entire thread...he likes to flirt the line of trolling while trying to seem relevant to the conversation. Personally, I don't think anyone really buys into it (for long anyways), so hopefully like most trolls, he'll see his way out sooner than later.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I think you are hard of hearing Sean. I said the A7 is better than the A6, this goes without saying, I said that 64bit ARN s not revolutionary, it's evolutionary... Also who ever said that arm v8 is a complete redo is wrong. I too read the v8 release and what changes they made, saying AMD and Intel made a mistake in their implementation is false, x86 64 again was evolutionary increase register size, add 64 bit operation extensions same thing that was done for arm V8.

Finally, I can give examples of issues on 5s that do not appear on 5, for example opening your app list, people notes it takes longer in 5s . Which may or may not have something to do with the processor but it's just a concrete example. Bottom line you call it trolling , I call it, taking things for what they are. And not trying to state everything is better because it's newer, on most all cases I say 5s hands down, but I'm sure you will find oddities where for whatever reason 5, given 32 bit variant of application and the same variant vowing run on 5s might run slower.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I think you are hard of hearing Sean. I said the A7 is better than the A6, this goes without saying, I said that 64bit ARN s not revolutionary, it's evolutionary... Also who ever said that arm v8 is a complete redo is wrong. I too read the v8 release and what changes they made, saying AMD and Intel made a mistake in their implementation is false, x86 64 again was evolutionary increase register size, add 64 bit operation extensions same thing that was done for arm V8.

Finally, I can give examples of issues on 5s that do not appear on 5, for example opening your app list, people notes it takes longer in 5s . Which may or may not have something to do with the processor but it's just a concrete example. Bottom line you call it trolling , I call it, taking things for what they are. And not trying to state everything is better because it's newer, on most all cases I say 5s hands down, but I'm sure you will find oddities where for whatever reason 5, given 32 bit variant of application and the same variant vowing run on 5s might run slower.

This is the only example you can come up with; app list? The rest of the phone is lightning fast, look at Safari benchmarks; this is one of the benchmarks that matter.

Not app list.

It's like saying that windows explorer under windows XP is faster than windows explorer under win 7 64(which it is). But it's a big "so what".

Last edited:

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Let's try this again for the hard of hearing . The A7 is better than the A6. However stating because a chip is 64 bit it is inherently faster is simply wrong, there are many reasons why the A7 performs better but boiling it down to saying its because it's 64bit is not correct, how about it has 2x FPU and Int U compared to the A6? How about increases SRAM cache for GPU, etc... Either case man done with this argent because I'm arguing with someone who doesn't isht about Processor design.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Since you cannot compare 32 and 64 bit of the same processor on iPhone, the point is moot. Of course processor design has something to do with it. Every generation processor is better faster stronger.

I will say windows 7 64 runs much better/faster on my i7 than windows xp. That us about as close as I can come to an equal footing amongst instruction sets.

Last edited:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's try this again for the hard of hearing . The A7 is better than the A6. However stating because a chip is 64 bit it is inherently faster is simply wrong, there are many reasons why the A7 performs better but boiling it down to saying its because it's 64bit is not correct, how about it has 2x FPU and Int U compared to the A6? How about increases SRAM cache for GPU, etc... Either case man done with this argent because I'm arguing with someone who doesn't isht about Processor design.

When did I say it was faster? All I said it was better that's all. The benefits of the ARMv8 instruction set outweigh the shortcomings but since Apple most likely modified the instruction set nobody know what they changed.

The only thing I'm still trying to get is how 64-bit will improve GPU performance when OpenGL ES 3.0 is 32-bit?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
When did I say it was faster? All I said it was better that's all. The benefits of the ARMv8 instruction set outweigh the shortcomings but since Apple most likely modified the instruction set nobody know what they changed.

The only thing I'm still trying to get is how 64-bit will improve GPU performance when OpenGL ES 3.0 is 32-bit?

The gPU is power VR, and is separate from the CPU , A7 is a SoC, a system on chip, basically think of your desktop but all those discrete processors shrunk onto one chip. It's a totally different set of instructions and architecture in GPU, 128-256bit busing. CPU should help some but beyond a certain point the gPU itself is the limiter, so not sure. I'm curious about Nvidias ARMv8 Tegra K performance, implementation as it will pair armv8 CPU paired with GeForce mobile Kepler for the gPU. Anybody knows Nvidia makes some beastly graphics processors.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a long shot, but sometimes a direct approach can be successful and removes the whole beating around the bush issue...

Can you just leave iMore? Like sign out of your account and stop posting here. As soon as you make one of your comments, and someone calls you out on it, you back track and try to act like what you said was taken out of context (which it never is, you just back track like some kind of salsa dancer)...and then you go on these rants that are completely irrelevant because, for some reason, you feel people are impressed that you're not impressed by Apple's offering and you think there are better chips (on random products) out there.

So like I said, I know asking this is probably a pointless effort, but can you at least consider it? Thanks.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I know this is a long shot, but sometimes a direct approach can be successful and removes the whole beating around the bush issue...

Can you just leave iMore? Like sign out of your account and stop posting here. As soon as you make one of your comments, and someone calls you out on it, you back track and try to act like what you said was taken out of context (which it never is, you just back track like some kind of salsa dancer)...and then you go on these rants that are completely irrelevant because, for some reason, you feel people are impressed that you're not impressed by Apple's offering and you think there are better chips (on random products) out there.

So like I said, I know asking this is probably a pointless effort, but can you at least consider it? Thanks.

Yes so unimpressed that own a 5s. Seanhrcc apparently you have love affair with me, please stop hanging from my ....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes so unimpressed that own a 5s. Seanhrcc apparently you have love affair with me, please stop hanging from my ....

Aww...I'm flattered, but really, Im just a little tired of seeing your screen name pop up as having replied, honestly...since you've literally added nothing of value to the community.

No big deal though, we've worked through trolls before, and we'll do it again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices