I think for me, if I didn't get the newest version and I could afford to (or perhaps even if I couldn't afford to!) I would regret it. Of course it's still going to be out dated when the next version comes out, but only by one generation rather then two. Although the 5C is as new as the 5S, in my mind, it's still a generation behind. And the price difference isn't enought to make me think the 5C is a bargain!
    01-11-2014 10:29 AM
    I would say most do actually.

Why wouldn't they? Sure they wouldn't buy it if it was crap, but apple has built a reputation for building really nice items, so there name does sell itself a lot of times and I think it is justified.

If work for Allison transmission and they tell us this all the time. People pay more for our transmission because of our reputation and name.

Same is true with phones, if two phones were released and they cost the same and did the same thing and ran the same apps, lets say they are identical.(this could be more so for android, and windows computers)

Would you buy this non name or a Samsung, or would you buy the Apple product?

Most here would buy the apple product just because of the name and the reputation that comes with it.

It's not a bad thing as long as no one is blindly following a company.

We like their products and support them, kind of like what Sean said.
    You aren't getting my point. I mean, just because it says "Apple" I'm not going to go out and get it. I love Apple and their products, but I'm not buying ANY of their stuff until I hear word of mouth on how good it is. Example...the iPhone 6 comes out next and I'm due for an upgrade in January. I'm very much looking forward to this phone. Now, if everyone and their mother says it's stupid or horrible, I'm sure as heck not buying it. Would you?
    01-11-2014 11:05 AM
    You aren't getting my point. I mean, just because it says "Apple" I'm not going to go out and get it. I love Apple and their products, but I'm not buying ANY of their stuff until I hear word of mouth on how good it is. Example...the iPhone 6 comes out next and I'm due for an upgrade in January. I'm very much looking forward to this phone. Now, if everyone and their mother says it's stupid or horrible, I'm sure as heck not buying it. Would you?
    Trust me I get what you are saying and I agree, but I never said you, did I? As soon as the new iphone is announced most will rush out and buy it though, people on the forums might want to know if it is good or bad, but the majority will see a new iphone and want it regardless. It just so happens most of the time it is good.

When I bought the iphone 5 I had people asking me to show the me holographic keyboard. Lol.

It just shows must have no clue if it is good or bad, but they know it is apple and will want it.

So maybe you weren't getting my point, lol.

I wasn't trying to say you personally, sorry of you thought so. You just said you knew no one that bought it just because it was apple.

Heck take the MacBook for example, people will buy that because they have an iphone or and ipad and want their computer to be apple as well.

I bought my MacBook Pro because in part it was apple, it doesn't really add anything extra special from a windows laptop.
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    01-11-2014 11:14 AM
    Sean, if you listened to the comment, he wasn't saying that people buy based on feelings he said that people buy things for themselves. Also, you stated you don't buy things based on words which was exactly his points. Thirdly I just was stating you are an early adopter as you stated you want the latest tech, like to have the latest, getting those users isn't the keys to success which was his point about that. Anyway man I don't even know you are arguing you are an early adopter by your own admission which if you stop being defense and stop looking at my post as an attack you'd get it.

GOTO 11:10 where he starts talking about the law of diffusion of innovation.

Finally, the fact that you are on iMore discussing about Apple means you do have some attachment to their products , you want to know what are they up to, what's their next big idea because you already have a belief in their products , moreover why are you getting upset about being a supporter or fan?
    If you're going to address me in the future, or what you observe about me...at least have the balls to actually say what you want to say without all this convoluted candy coating, lol. I'm finished with the discussion because I find your tactics a bit daft.
    01-11-2014 11:25 AM
    Trust me I get what you are saying and I agree, but I never said you, did I? As soon as the new iphone is announced most will rush out and buy it though, people on the forums might want to know if it is good or bad, but the majority will see a new iphone and want it regardless. It just so happens most of the time it is good.

When I bought the iphone 5 I had people asking me to show the me holographic keyboard. Lol.

It just shows must have no clue if it is good or bad, but they know it is apple and will want it.

So maybe you weren't getting my point, lol.

I wasn't trying to say you personally, sorry of you thought so. You just said you knew no one that bought it just because it was apple.

Heck take the MacBook for example, people will buy that because they have an iphone or and ipad and want their computer to be apple as well.

I bought my MacBook Pro because in part it was apple, it doesn't really add anything extra special from a windows laptop.
    Fair enough, but I still know zero people that apply to that logic.
    01-11-2014 12:29 PM
    Based on articles I've read the 5S and the A7 is laying the ground work for the future in the development of Apple mobile devices.
    One of the main concerns for Apple is battery life.
    The A7 being more powerful than the A6 and also more power efficient in tandem with the M7.
    Is the 5S getting it done with 1gig of ram? Yes. Can it benefit from more ram? Probably. But at the cost of batt life.
    iOS Gravity and nikkisharif like this.
    01-11-2014 01:01 PM
    Ok, if it's so ground breaking what does 64bit mean? Why aren't desktop processors greater than 64bit?

Is the A7 a great processor but not because it's 64bit. And Apple is not about future proofing because they want to sell you a new phone every year, why did it take so long for LTE, why so long in NFC, come on dude get your head out of your ... Apple makes awesome products but being the first or groundbreaking is not the key to their success? Was the iPad the first tablet, was the iPod the first MP3 player, contrary to popular belief the iPhone was not the first phone to combine mp3 plus phone functionality. Apple key is refinement of ideas? You probably think Siri was an apple invention , nope it was a purchased company that already was providing the app on Apple 2 years prior. Again, as it stands right now 64bits on processor is not a big deal, especially in mobile space because what mobile machines are used to. Even graphics, a mobile screen is small, powerful GPUs don't matter on small screens relatively speaking. But the improved graphic performance is because of the Gpus included not so much of the A7.

Finally, 64 bit arm processors are not new ARM which is the basis of Apple processors has been doing 64 bit designs for a couple years now, and they are found in other mobile devices and servers now that ArM is breaking into that space. You do know that the basis of Apple processors are designed by ARM and implemented by Apple. Apple is not a processor company. Anyway I digress if you think the A7 is revolutionary ok, it's more evolutionary, it's like when AMD extended x86 to 64bit, it was evolution of 32 bit x86. I don't need to tell you difference in the power this processor is not because it's 64 bit, in fact it will perform some things slower especially if it's an app that has not been updated.
    My reply might not be as eloquent as Sean's, but SO!
    You have totally highjacked the OP's thread to argue your personal beliefs in technology, and making irrelevant points...
    In an attempt to stay on topic, I would suggest the 5S simply because you only get to upgrade every couple of years. Why would you want to burn that upgrade on getting Apples second best phone? I know you can afford it because otherwise you wouldn't have posted this question if it wasn't obtainable...
    01-11-2014 01:15 PM
    The 5S will be a good investment. People don't buy things because a certain company makes them unless they are a fanboy. To me this really doesn't make sense because I only buy things that suit my needs and work properly.
    01-11-2014 01:28 PM
    Ok, if it's so ground breaking what does 64bit mean? Why aren't desktop processors greater than 64bit?

Is the A7 a great processor but not because it's 64bit. And Apple is not about future proofing because they want to sell you a new phone every year, why did it take so long for LTE, why so long in NFC, come on dude get your head out of your ... Apple makes awesome products but being the first or groundbreaking is not the key to their success? Was the iPad the first tablet, was the iPod the first MP3 player, contrary to popular belief the iPhone was not the first phone to combine mp3 plus phone functionality. Apple key is refinement of ideas? You probably think Siri was an apple invention , nope it was a purchased company that already was providing the app on Apple 2 years prior. Again, as it stands right now 64bits on processor is not a big deal, especially in mobile space because what mobile machines are used to. Even graphics, a mobile screen is small, powerful GPUs don't matter on small screens relatively speaking. But the improved graphic performance is because of the Gpus included not so much of the A7.

Finally, 64 bit arm processors are not new ARM which is the basis of Apple processors has been doing 64 bit designs for a couple years now, and they are found in other mobile devices and servers now that ArM is breaking into that space. You do know that the basis of Apple processors are designed by ARM and implemented by Apple. Apple is not a processor company. Anyway I digress if you think the A7 is revolutionary ok, it's more evolutionary, it's like when AMD extended x86 to 64bit, it was evolution of 32 bit x86. I don't need to tell you difference in the power this processor is not because it's 64 bit, in fact it will perform some things slower especially if it's an app that has not been updated.
    You seem to enjoy contradicting yourself you advice the OP to buy the lasted for future proofing but change your tune when others agree with you.

I could look up the definition of 64 bit and post it here but you will probably dispute it. I've met lots of people like you in my life you say what suits you most of your above post is bull probably what you heard and it makes you sound smart repeating it here.

I have no problem with it just stay on the thread topic and refrain from telling people to remove body parts from orifices if you want to remain a member of this Forum!

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    nikkisharif likes this.
    01-11-2014 01:53 PM
    If you're going to address me in the future, or what you observe about me...at least have the balls to actually say what you want to say without all this convoluted candy coating, lol. I'm finished with the discussion because I find your tactics a bit daft.
    Dude get a grip on life, you think way too hard. 11:10 go to it
    01-11-2014 01:54 PM
    I know its likey somewhere on here already but.... I have an upgrade next week. Why should I get the 5S instead of the 5 when it's more expensive ? Most of the videos I've watched don't demonstrate a big difference. Thank you in advance.
    It would all depend on what you plan to use the phone for. If you are just checking email, browsing the web, use social networks, and play light games then the 5 is more than enough to suit your needs. If you plan on using your phone to play highly detailed games, or use resource heavy apps like photo editing or apps similar to autocad then the 5S will suit your needs best.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    kataran and nikkisharif like this.
    01-11-2014 02:27 PM
    The 5S will be a good investment. People don't buy things because a certain company makes them unless they are a fanboy. To me this really doesn't make sense because I only buy things that suit my needs and work properly.
    Do me favor go to the simon Sinek TED talk video, obviously you people must think you are fanboys, because that's not what Simon said. Watch the video and shut up. His TED talk says nothing about being a fanboy, it talks, about how leadership happens whether it was Apple or Martin Luther king, people follow what they have belief in. Essentially you have a belief sustem and Apple tapped into that, because they present an
    Aligned belief system therefore you buy their products. People buy for themselves not because of what a company says they have, like specs, etc... It's belief in the Apples reason for producing products that you purchase, because people see these products as an extension of their own beliefs. Finally, I said Sean is an early adopter... Really that's all I was commenting on. Because Sinek said success is not defined by early adopters, these folks by the latest tech because is the latest tech, they get technology you don't have to explain it to them ...But they aren't the drivers of company success.

Anyway, I have a bunch of people bytching abou being fanboys when that's not what I said or if you watched the video was said. Apparently you must think you are.
    01-11-2014 03:09 PM
    You seem to enjoy contradicting yourself you advice the OP to buy the lasted for future proofing but change your tune when others agree with you.

I could look up the definition of 64 bit and post it here but you will probably dispute it. I've met lots of people like you in my life you say what suits you most of your above post is bull probably what you heard and it makes you sound smart repeating it here.

I have no problem with it just stay on the thread topic and refrain from telling people to remove body parts from orifices if you want to remain a member of this Forum!

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    How did I change my tune, A7, is the best iphone processor, it is more future proof than buying the 5s A6? A 64 bit processor is not a huge deal in the Mobile space because of what you do on your mobile machine. Nor is it the first. Nor does making a 64 bit variant of a processor inherently make it faster than ab32 bit processor. gPU will make much bigger difference in the one really intensive thing people currently do gaming. Speech recognition , biometric security is where I see 64bit processing coming in handy , user applications not so much unless w change what we do on our phones, if anything maybe tablets will gain the most. My pint is you aren't rendering avatar on your phone. Either case none my statements are contradictions.

The 5s processor is better it will serve longer, that does not mean the A7 revolutionized the market. It's evolutionary and it's only 1 implementation of ARM64. Nor is it the first.
    01-11-2014 03:19 PM
    Dude get a grip on life, you think way too hard. 11:10 go to it
    Get bent.
    01-11-2014 03:40 PM
    The 5s is veryyyyyy much better!! ( I didn't noted anything since i moved to 5s. Lol. I love the fingerprint to unlock and sign at apple store)
    nikkisharif likes this.
    01-11-2014 07:18 PM
    I just love getting the latest and the greatest. Period.
    I'll be getting the iPhone 6 when it comes out too.
    Go get the 5S , you'll love it.
    Last edited by Sekelani Zwambila; 01-12-2014 at 03:07 AM.
    01-12-2014 02:57 AM
    The 5S is a much faster device with a much improved camera.
    01-12-2014 12:10 PM
    How did I change my tune, A7, is the best iphone processor, it is more future proof than buying the 5s A6? A 64 bit processor is not a huge deal in the Mobile space because of what you do on your mobile machine. Nor is it the first. Nor does making a 64 bit variant of a processor inherently make it faster than ab32 bit processor. gPU will make much bigger difference in the one really intensive thing people currently do gaming. Speech recognition , biometric security is where I see 64bit processing coming in handy , user applications not so much unless w change what we do on our phones, if anything maybe tablets will gain the most. My pint is you aren't rendering avatar on your phone. Either case none my statements are contradictions.

The 5s processor is better it will serve longer, that does not mean the A7 revolutionized the market. It's evolutionary and it's only 1 implementation of ARM64. Nor is it the first.
    So which phone maker had a 64 bit chip in their phones before apple?

64 bit is a big deal even if apple only incorporated 1 gig of memory. In addition 64 bit can be more efficient than 32 bit as certain operations take less clock cycles to accomplish the same amount of work. A 64 bit architecture can move data around faster, if in fact the bus width is broadened. All of this trickles down to a better end user experience, so I can't see where you are coming from. Its always a balancing act between hardware and software.
    01-12-2014 11:54 PM
    So which phone maker had a 64 bit chip in their phones before apple?

64 bit is a big deal even if apple only incorporated 1 gig of memory. In addition 64 bit can be more efficient than 32 bit as certain operations take less clock cycles to accomplish the same amount of work. A 64 bit architecture can move data around faster, if in fact the bus width is broadened. All of this trickles down to a better end user experience, so I can't see where you are coming from. Its always a balancing act between hardware and software.
    Apple is the first to put 64bit ARM cortex in a consumer mobile, it is not the first 64 bit ARM implementation. If you believe by default because a chip is 64 bit it definitely is faster than a 32 bit variant of a chip, then there really is nothing to argue about. Yhere are a million other factors at play, it may or may not be is the correct answer. Given that this the case how can you by default say it's a better end user experience. Take x86 64 bit vs 32 bit applications, often times the 64 bit version of app was slower in performance. Do I agree 64 bit theoretically is better yes, but theory and actuality has way more factors than that. Again,your argument is like saying a 1.5 ghz processor is faster than a 1.3 ghz by default, it's clocked higher is the only certainty, actual performance has many more factors. Short of it your oversimplifying by saying because it's 64 bit it is going to perform better. Is A7 better than A6 , yes.

"In 2011, AppliedMicro became the first company to implement the ARMv8-A architecture with its X-Gene Platform. In November 2012 at ARM TechCon, AppliedMicro demonstrated advanced web search capabilities and the ability to handle big data workloads in an Apache Hadoop software environment with the X-Gene Platform using FPGA emulation. A silicon implementation of X-Gene was first exhibited publicly in June 2013.[3]"

Nvidia also has implemented ARM v8-A in , Tegra 5 , being released this year.
    bxnextel86 likes this.
    01-13-2014 12:34 AM
    ^^^ Does your rant have any relevance to specific performance issues with the iPhone 5S compared to any other device (or older chips sets)? Or are you just randomly talking out of your derrire?
    kataran, mikeo007 and anon4757448 like this.
    01-13-2014 08:34 AM
    Apple is the first to put 64bit ARM cortex in a consumer mobile, it is not the first 64 bit ARM implementation.
    The bold is the critical information in your sentence. The rest of your sentence is irrelevant. The world cares about what apple does and that is reflected in it's stock price; what is the stock price of AppliedMicro?

If you believe by default because a chip is 64 bit it definitely is faster than a 32 bit variant of a chip, then there really is nothing to argue about. Yhere are a million other factors at play, it may or may not be is the correct answer. Given that this the case how can you by default say it's a better end user experience. Take x86 64 bit vs 32 bit applications, often times the 64 bit version of app was slower in performance. Do I agree 64 bit theoretically is better yes, but theory and actuality has way more factors than that. Again,your argument is like saying a 1.5 ghz processor is faster than a 1.3 ghz by default, it's clocked higher is the only certainty, actual performance has many more factors. Short of it your oversimplifying by saying because it's 64 bit it is going to perform better. Is A7 better than A6 , yes.
    5S seems to be faster than the 5C. 64 bit is less about measuring with a stop watch how fast a given app start and finishes and is more about the concurrency, throughput and efficiency. You can find exceptions all over the place so it really doesn't make any sense to try and convince each other. The issue is way too specific and way too complex to discuss in any meaningful fashion.
    kataran likes this.
    01-13-2014 09:20 AM
    ^^^ Does your rant have any relevance to specific performance issues with the iPhone 5S compared to any other device (or older chips sets)? Or are you just randomly talking out of your derrire?
    It's not random. He is trying to downplay that Apple has the first successful consumer mobile implementation of a 64 bit chip; beating out every other manfacturer.
    kataran likes this.
    01-13-2014 09:22 AM
    Apple is the first to put 64bit ARM cortex in a consumer mobile, it is not the first 64 bit ARM implementation. If you believe by default because a chip is 64 bit it definitely is faster than a 32 bit variant of a chip, then there really is nothing to argue about. Yhere are a million other factors at play, it may or may not be is the correct answer. Given that this the case how can you by default say it's a better end user experience. Take x86 64 bit vs 32 bit applications, often times the 64 bit version of app was slower in performance. Do I agree 64 bit theoretically is better yes, but theory and actuality has way more factors than that. Again,your argument is like saying a 1.5 ghz processor is faster than a 1.3 ghz by default, it's clocked higher is the only certainty, actual performance has many more factors. Short of it your oversimplifying by saying because it's 64 bit it is going to perform better. Is A7 better than A6 , yes.

"In 2011, AppliedMicro became the first company to implement the ARMv8-A architecture with its X-Gene Platform. In November 2012 at ARM TechCon, AppliedMicro demonstrated advanced web search capabilities and the ability to handle big data workloads in an Apache Hadoop software environment with the X-Gene Platform using FPGA emulation. A silicon implementation of X-Gene was first exhibited publicly in June 2013.[3]"

Nvidia also has implemented ARM v8-A in , Tegra 5 , being released this year.
    Your x86_64 example does not apply to ARMv8. Your comparing a desktop architecture to a mobile architecture when both are completely different in every aspect. If you think that ARMv8 has the same characteristics as x86_64 they don't, I've actually read up on ARMv8 and NONE of your x86_64 comparisons apply to ARMv8 in any way. ARM did not repeat the same mistakes as Intel/AMD did with x86_64, instead they redid the ARMv8 instruction set from scratch. In turn it made everything run better. 32 bit application run better when using the ARMv8 instruction set compared to the ARMv7 instruction set and 64 bit apps run better cause ARM made 32 bit and 64 bit applications use their respectable instruction sets but both can run at the same time without issues. So I suggest you read up on ARMv8 cause it is no where close in any way that x86_64 was.

So in conclusion the A7 is way better than the A6 in every way and the A7 will probably last the longest with software updates but again it's up the customer to decide what they want and what they need in a phone.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    kataran and mikeo007 like this.
    01-13-2014 09:30 AM
    The last part cause he has no idea what ARMv8 is and how it make a difference with the A7 chip in the 5S

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    kataran likes this.
    01-13-2014 09:35 AM
    It's not random. He is trying to downplay that Apple has the first successful consumer mobile implementation of a 64 bit chip; beating out every other manfacturer.
    I know, my comment was a bit of sarcasm because I know what this person is doing, and I know what he's been doing the entire thread...he likes to flirt the line of trolling while trying to seem relevant to the conversation. Personally, I don't think anyone really buys into it (for long anyways), so hopefully like most trolls, he'll see his way out sooner than later.
    01-13-2014 09:45 AM
75 123