Safari is still crashing for me.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing safari crashing frequently? It's not even certain sites, it seems to happen on any site randomly. It keeps crashing to the home screen. Really, I'm not too sure what to do to fix it. I don't think a factory restore would fix it because I already tried that a few weeks back.

Is this just something apples going to fix?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use the Safari browser on numerous occasions every day, and it never crashes. I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4. Your best bet might be to put your device in DFU mode, restore it via iTunes, and then set it up as a new device instead of from a backup.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It happens often for me, too. On my 5S, not so much as it does on my iPad Mini w/Retina and my older iPad 4.

I found that a restore as new on my 5S pretty much resolved my problem but I don't use safari that much on my
phone to begin with. It's on my iPads that it happens. A lot. Like on a daily basis. Even after restoring as new.
The problem isn't so much Apple's, I think, as it is to some sites just not handling what's under the hood of iOS7
that quite well yet.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Safari is an app on my 5S I have never had issues with and being a native app that cannot be removed and reinstalled, If it does happen for you that often you sure might want to set your phone back up as new and give it a shot this way. There could be one piece of the app that is corrupted that needs to do this to fix it since as I stated, You can't delete it like regular apps and reinstall to fix. Best of luck.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It happens often for me, too. On my 5S, not so much as it does on my iPad Mini w/Retina and my older iPad 4.

I found that a restore as new on my 5S pretty much resolved my problem but I don't use safari that much on my
phone to begin with. It's on my iPads that it happens. A lot. Like on a daily basis. Even after restoring as new.
The problem isn't so much Apple's, I think, as it is to some sites just not handling what's under the hood of iOS7
that quite well yet.
I am actually really surprised to hear this, I would tend to agree that it could be the sites similar to being on a PC and you get a site crash. Have you compared the same sites both on your 5S and mini? Even though you said it is a non issue pretty much now on your phone. Now if it is not the sites i believe that I would have to be making a trip to the Apple genius bar to let them determine what's up unless you want to live with it on a brand new model like your mini retina. I would not let it go. This is for you as well as the OP.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I am actually really surprised to hear this, I would tend to agree that it could be the sites similar to being on a PC and you get a site crash. Have you compared the same sites both on your 5S and mini? Even though you said it is a non issue pretty much now on your phone. Now if it is not the sites i believe that I would have to be making a trip to the Apple genius bar to let them determine what's up unless you want to live with it on a brand new model like your mini retina. I would not let it go. This is for you as well as the OP.

I frequent the forums here through Safari on my iPad and this is the place where I get crashes at times. I access this place through Tapatalk on my iPhone though. I get it on a couple of other sites on my iPad as well. But it's all pretty much stuff that I don't look through safari on my phone. I'm going to do what you suggested though. I'll also see what 7.1 does for the issue.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I frequent the forums here through Safari on my iPad and this is the place where I get crashes at times. I access this place through Tapatalk on my iPhone though. I get it on a couple of other sites on my iPad as well. But it's all pretty much stuff that I don't look through safari on my phone. I'm going to do what you suggested though. I'll also see what 7.1 does for the issue.
To add to this, When was the last time you deleted your cache in Safari? Try that. I am confused? In your first 2 sentences you said you frequent this site through Safari and then you say you access through Tapatalk? Which and what do you frequent actually through what? Doesn't Tapatalk have it's own internal browser like the iMore forum where you can decide what to open in? I have never had any crashes believe it or not through Safari on my phone or going through the iMore app which is what I use. I have never had a crash on my Mini Retina either. Depending on how much I dump my cache on both devices about every 2-3 days.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
To add to this, When was the last time you deleted your cache in Safari? Try that. I am confused? In your first 2 sentences you said you frequent this site through Safari and then you say you access through Tapatalk? Which and what do you frequent actually through what? Doesn't Tapatalk have it's own internal browser like the iMore forum where you can decide what to open in? I have never had any crashes believe it or not through Safari on my phone or going through the iMore app which is what I use. I have never had a crash on my Mini Retina either. Depending on how much I dump my cache on both devices about every 2-3 days.
I frequent this site on safari through my iPad and not on my iPhone. Instead, on my iPhone, I come to these forums through Tapatalk. I was just making the point that I don't come to this site through safari on my iPhone very often to be able to compare the crashes. Safari just hasn't been that pleasurable an experience on my iPad since iOS7 came out. I clear history and cache often. I can say the crashes come at least once a day. I can live with it though. I'll just wait and see if something is fixed. If not, oh well lol

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow and I'll have apple look at it. They'll probably just tell me to set my phone up as new , though. But I'll let them know I tried that already.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it's Chrome that's the problem for me.

But I realized actually Flash players are the culprits, they are memory hogging and battery draining to the core. Hate them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Safari does, infrequently, crash. I've had contacts and preferences crash. I got a bunch of low memory errors in diagnostics. Not one reboot. I can't really say the operation of the phone is adversely effected as these crashes do not happen very often.