Is iPhone 5s not 4g compatable?

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If Rogers has LTE in your area there shouldn't be a reason why your iphone wouldn't connect to LTE, but if Rogers is a CDMA network, it won't connect to plain "4G"; like Sprint and Verizon's iPhones won't connect to "4G (WiMAX for sprint). "4G" and "4G LTE" are two different speeds/frequencies.

Sent from my Black iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😊

In my work area I have LTE and it's all fine, I get LTE 99% of the time. Where I live it's 3G and hspa+[4g]. I have never once got 4g in my home area, neither does my wife on her iPhone 5. My buddies with nokias get 4g frequently.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
In my work area I have LTE and it's all fine, I get LTE 99% of the time. Where I live it's 3G and hspa+[4g]. I have never once got 4g in my home area, neither does my wife on her iPhone 5. My buddies with nokias get 4g frequently.

Rogers may not have the same agreement to make it say 4G in the status bar (like AT&T) so you may be getting HSPA+, it's just showing 3G.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Cause AT&T told Apple to add the 4G icon to the status bar when people where using their HSPA+ network. They started that with iOS 5.1 on the 4S & up. Here in Canada HSPA+ & DC-HSDPA will show as 3G on the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Oh alright! That makes sense! But is their a speed differance between 3G and 4G

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
My 5s is on AT&T but I haven't seen a LTE on my phone just 4g sous that the same thing or should I return it to the apple store

1. If LTE isn't in your area then you won't see it (check your coverage on the AT&T website). 2. Is LTE enabled on your iPhone? (Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE). 3. If all else fails take it to your provider or apple (your provider is preferred).

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The iphne does have 4g. However, the term "4g" has been completely demolished this last generation of mobile data....

4g refers to 4th generation standards of mobile data and is a major bump in speeds ect. I don't know all the specifics but you can find more details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G.

LTE, HSP+, and WiMAX are all considered 4g although technically LTE is the only true 4g. HSPA+ uses the same radio and frequencies as their 3G network but is able to have much high speeds. HSPA+ and WiMAX have similar speeds but have a much Lowe cap than LTE.

If you see a phone that says 4g and lte its likely you are on a gsm carrier who supports HSPA+ as no additional radio is necessary to get HSPA+. It's less confusing for customers to market HPSA+ as 4g and LTE as something better because having 2 4g's would be confusing (though it can already be confusing if you don't know better.)

Sprint and verizon are both CDMA. If you don't have lte then you will drop to 3G. WiMAX is no longer available on new phones and is being phased out.

To make this simple LTE is 4g. Anything else is clever marketing which makes what would technically be 3.5g appear as 4g. (Although there is nothing wrong with 3.5g! It is just not 4g and should not have been marketed that way.)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I find the lack of knowledge in this thread disturbing. As was stated 4G refers to 4th generation technology, and the chance of seeing 5G is quite slim because what makes 4G, 4G is speed. I forget the numbers right now and I don't have time to search right now, but there is a minimum download and upload speed that must be met to be considered 4G. Your technologies that support 4G speeds are WiMAX for Sprint, HSPA+ and LTE (High Speed Packet Access, and Long Term Evolution) for T-Mobile and AT&T, and LTE for Verizon. Those being in the US of course, I can't comment on other countries because I don't live there and don't know what the cell providers use. Also, I don't know if it happened, but Verizon was supposedly going to start implementing LTE stage 2 in the US by the end of 2013, this is still LTE (4G) but at twice the current speed.

Synchronistically transposed

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh