New Verizon 5s Want to Jailbreak it but wait, there is more...

Jon Swenson

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I can get a new Verizon number and get the iphone 5s 32G for 299.00 so I may do that.

After I get the number, I wish to jailbreak it. So I have my new phone jailbroken. However, I want my old number in it. So I go back to Verizon ask them to switch numbers.

Will Verizon be able to put my old number in the new phone AFTER it has been jailbroken. Local Verizon store said no, or were they just jerking me.

Jon Swenson

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the phone, It has the NEW Verizon number in it. I have now jailbroken it. Can I now switch it to my OLD number on Verizon to this phone without any problems?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Just backup and restore to remove the jailbreak and keep your data. In Apple's policy, it says they will refuse to service a jailbroken device. I would stay on the safe side and undo the jailbreak and then get the job done.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
There are experts on this forum that are much smarter than me so with that in mind I cautiously write my next sentence. What does jail breaking the iPhone have to do with the phone number? Isn't the phone number attached to the SIM card? Can't anyone drop a Verizon nano SIM into a Verizon iPhone and it will work?

Separately, I don't think the OP's strategy is well founded. I assume a new line is being established because the original line is in contract and therefore not eligible for upgrade. Doing this will secure a new iPhone but will also obligate the OP to two lines of service.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
There are experts on this forum that are much smarter than me so with that in mind I cautiously write my next sentence. What does jail breaking the iPhone have to do with the phone number? Isn't the phone number attached to the SIM card? Can't anyone drop a Verizon nano SIM into a Verizon iPhone and it will work?

Separately, I don't think the OP's strategy is well founded. I assume a new line is being established because the original line is in contract and therefore not eligible for upgrade. Doing this will secure a new iPhone but will also obligate the OP to two lines of service.

The reps might refuse to transfer the number if the phone is jailbroken. Keep my top comment in my mind. About Apple refusing to service the device if it's jailbroken. May be there was a deal between Verizon and Apple. If Apple lets Verizon sell the phone, Verizon must follow that policy as well.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I switched a number to my jailbroken 4S with no issue. I just switched out the sim & dialed *228. I'm not sure if it was suppose to work but it did & I haven't had any issues

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There is no relevance between switching your number with Verizon and jailbreaking your device...truth be told, there's really no reason to even mention jailbreaking the iPhone to them...you simply make a number change request as you stated and they process it like normal.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
The phone carrier won't deny your request whether it be jail broken or not. Apple on the other hand knows if their devices are. For all Verizon knows-- you could've job downloaded a customization app.

Sent from my Black iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😊

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
We would not deny your request to change your number. The way we would look at it is your number is what you pay for, the device is Apples. Now, if you were going to Apple to do something, that's a different story.

rinque85

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just pop in the sim if you already have a sim from you previous verizon number phone. If not then you will have to get a new sim from the store and just ask them to switch the old number to the new 5S. Simple. No need to mention anything about jailbreak, just say you want to switch you old number to the device.

You do know that you signed a new two year contract to get the 5S? So if you disconnect the new number, be prepared to pay the ETF for that line.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR