Battery life of iphone 5s

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Full wipe and backup restore from iTunes didn't resolve it. Something that isn't immediately obvious is causing the phone to run constantly, even with the screen off. Usage and standby times are exactly the same. I hate to do a full wipe and restore as new, but I'm not sure what else to try.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Weird, I had the intermittent battery usage with my past Nokia (windows) and Samsung phones (android)...however I've had my 5s for 2 months and it's been nothing but dead on consistent every day...it's actually freaky how stable the phone performs, IMO.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine has recently started to drain a bit but I think it's likely a few of the newer apps I've installed lately. Granted, I still get good battery life.

MDsmartphone

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I have grown accustomed to smart phones and their batteries. I used to carry spare batteries (treos and palm pres), extended batteries with bulky covers ( Samsung saga, palm pres), phones with large built in battery ( droid RAZR maxx) and now with iPhone I use an extended battery case. My wife uses the mophie, I use the unu case.

Why limit yourself by turning off bluetooth, WiFi, GPS, etc features that make your smartphone "smart"??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Another update:

Last Saturday, I completely wiped my 5S and set it back up as a new iPhone. For the first day or so, I resisted the urge to reinstall all of my apps and just left the phone stock. That resolved all of my battery issues. The CPU stopped running constantly and the usage/standby ratio returned to normal instead of 1:1. It has stayed normal as I've reinstalled essential apps during the week. I'm calling this fixed.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Another update:

Last Saturday, I completely wiped my 5S and set it back up as a new iPhone. For the first day or so, I resisted the urge to reinstall all of my apps and just left the phone stock. That resolved all of my battery issues. The CPU stopped running constantly and the usage/standby ratio returned to normal instead of 1:1. It has stayed normal as I've reinstalled essential apps during the week. I'm calling this fixed.

Glad you found a fix. Now you can enjoy your device!

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Grumble. The constant battery drain is back now. The only thing out of the ordinary I remember doing the past couple of days is that I cancelled an app download. Turning on airplane mode stops the 1:1 usage/standby ratio. Perhaps the phone still thinks it should be downloading something?

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Settings / General / Background App Refresh -- turn off

Settings / Privacy / Location Services / System Services / turn all of these off except the first one

this has helped me a TON
its nothing that you need on

wbkm85

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Turn off iCloud backup... It helped me to gain battery life.

sent from my rMini or iPhone 5s.

it only backs up to iCloud when the phone is plugged in, and the screen is off.

this will not help. not even photo stream is updated on cellular

this shouldn't have helped anything with your battery life.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
it only backs up to iCloud when the phone is plugged in, and the screen is off.

this will not help. not even photo stream is updated on cellular

this shouldn't have helped anything with your battery life.

Of course it helps to decide which data it should save PERMANENTLY.
If all toggles are on, the phone permanently sends data to iCloud to see what changed.

gumary8y.jpg

So I switched a few toggles off and believe me, it really helped to save my battery life.

And if you have switched on iCloud on the iCloud backup setting, it will push data to iCloud even when you're on wifi, not only when the phone is plugged in.

MDsmartphone

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I suggest anyone complaining of battery just purchase a battery case. I don't worry about my iphone battery at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Seems on par with my Galaxy S4...but the thing is I need a portable charger to go with a 5S if I'm using one.

Friend has an S4 and it certainly gets better battery life than that.

If you have everything turned on, maybe not, but that's a slight user error. Friends usually have me set their phones up for them and the first thing I do before anything is uninstall/disabled all Bloatware and Samsung/Google Apps they don't use and go through all settings to enable and disable features that they do or don't use.

I got better battery life than that on my Galaxy S II Skyrocket and Galaxy S III with Stock TouchWiz Nature UX ROMs (I've never rooted or used custom ROMs).

I'd say the background refresh and Location services would be the first thing I'd check. Also check which apps are installed and have permission for Location and Background Refresh.

iCloud Backup can still affect your battery because if your phone isn't getting a good amount of amperage from the charger (too many things plugged in, using a weaker 3rd party charger, bad vable or charger plug) there is still the possibility that the data transfer may overpower the charge. Same for Photo Stream, especially if you take a lot of pictures with your phone.

If you have any Shared Photo Streams that are active, I believe those *are* updated over Cellular.

Phone calls tend to drain the iPhone battery faster than many Android phones that I've used. I noticed the iPhone also had to work harder for reception than a lot of other phones that I've owned.

"Usage" is too vague. "Usage" can mean you were playing music with the screen off for 4 of those hours, and playing audio using very little power on any modern smartphone. Have to see screen on time to really know how the battery is measuring up to usage.

Lastly, Apple uses tiny batteries in the iPhone so expectations need to be kept in check IRT what kind of battery life the phone should be getting. It's not going to be amazing until moderate to high usage, but it should be decent. The phone does charge quickly to 80% so as long as you can give it a bump in the middle of the day it should be fine for almost anyone. It won't be able to compete with most of the newer flagships on other platforms for moderate to heavy mixed usage for battery life. I didn't find the battery life to be bad on mine when I had it, though I was griefed by the fact that it uses a proprietary charger (can't just plug it in in the car using someone else's micro USB charger when you're riding and not using it).

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do a lot of video streaming on my S4 and I tore through my battery faster on an average day at work, which required battery swaps before I hit home, while my 5S got through the day on the same usage, again video streaming, allowing me to plug in the charger when I reach home at about 10 percent.

That to me shows that in a real world scenario Apple came up on top. One could attribute that to any form of theoretical reasoning but in a real world test I found the iPhone 5S to be more resilient. Maybe it's because of how iOS doesn't allow notifications and background actions freely nilly.

Do note I usually do the same things on my phones everyday. Can't really argue with the consistency I find on both phones. IPhones have smaller batteries, yes, but if I'm getting about the same or even better battery life in some cases over the far bigger battery of the S4, I must say Samsung really has to address the battery management much like Motorola did on their Moto phones.

I attribute Android phones of the past, for example, the S2s and the generations before to be on par with battery lives of iPhones because their specs aren't that high compared to the S4s of today. Of course they are going to have better battery lives than probably the iPhone 5s.

Whatever it is, it still remains that iOS manages battery better than most Android forks or variants.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro