Z10 to iphone5s?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
This is only true if your printer supports AirPrint protocol. It's not the phone that makes this possible, it's the printer plus the software that ioS7 has, Mac OS also supports this feature, and conceivably there are people now writing apps that will support AirPrint protocol on other devices.

Also why are you guys still talking about bbos7, bb10 is not bbOS, it's not even in the same family or built on the same technology. Let it go. Should I compare bb10 to iOS 1.0?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

In my opinion BlackBerry 10 isn't much better than BlackBerry OS7 regarding apps and built in features. That's why I talk them both in a similar way.

I'd love to have a BlackBerry. I would. When they get their App Store built up I will be back! BlackBerry 10 also lost a lot of great BlackBerry OS7 features.

In my opinion. Can BlackBerry 10 do headless apps yet?

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Windows 3.1 was DOS with some crap tacked on. Windows 8 is Windows 7 with some crap tacked on. There is virtually nothing from Windows 3.1 in Windows 8 (at least code wise).
Still, these are desktop OSs, not mobile. All OSs are iterative to some degree, the problem is when you iterate from a desktop OS to a mobile OS.

Could you take a stove and turn it into a BBQ? Probably, but you're in for a world of hurt.
You're much better off taking only the core components you need from the stove and building a BBQ from the ground up.

My take on iOS is similar to your take on BB10; that iOS is Osx with "crap" bolted on. Took a refrigerator and turned it into a snow machine to use your stove analogy.

Except that BB10 is an OS that was derived from a highly scalable, secure OS.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Also not true. My printer is wifi enabled. But it's also 3 years old. It doesn't support anything special. It's a $30 printer.

So whatever airplay is must be available on all printers.

AirPrint is available on a ton of printers. It was introduced about 4 years ago at which time it only worked on a few HP printers. Now, 4 years later, almost every wifi enabled printer comes with AirPrint support. It really costs the vendor nothing to add it, but it's a huge value add for the customer.

Here's a list of AirPrint printers available from Walmart (hint, it's a LOT).

https://goto.walmart.com/c/1943169/...walmart.com/c/kp/airprint-compatible-printers

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My take on iOS is similar to your take on BB10; that iOS is Osx with "crap" bolted on. Took a refrigerator and turned it into a snow machine to use your stove analogy.

Except that BB10 is an OS that was derived from a highly scalable, secure OS.

The difference is that your take has no basis in fact. iOS is quite well documented, and the facts are right there. It was built from the ground up. Whenever changes are made, they are made to the core OS, not bolted on as external apps. Even Blackberry's much touted Android player is simply an app bolted on.

BB10 is also documented if you know where to look. Just follow the development of the Playbook, through bb10. It's actually laughable how similar the two are.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Also not true. My printer is wifi enabled. But it's also 3 years old. It doesn't support anything special. It's a $30 printer.

So whatever airplay is must be available on all printers.

As I said above AirPrint does not work on my home network. I can install a windows third party program to make it work, but I haven't done that yet.

Or I guess I can download an app from the old store, but not doing that either.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
This is only true if your printer supports AirPrint protocol. It's not the phone that makes this possible, it's the printer plus the software that ioS7 has, Mac OS also supports this feature, and conceivably there are people now writing apps that will support AirPrint protocol on other devices.

Also why are you guys still talking about bbos7, bb10 is not bbOS, it's not even in the same family or built on the same technology. Let it go. Should I compare bb10 to iOS 1.0?

AirPrint is available on a ton of printers. It was introduced about 4 years ago at which time it only worked on a few HP printers. Now, 4 years later, almost every wifi enabled printer comes with AirPrint support. It really costs the vendor nothing to add it, but it's a huge value add for the customer.

Here's a list of AirPrint printers available from Walmart (hint, it's a LOT).

Airprint Compatible Printers : Printers - Walmart.com

In ANY case, like I said. I don't need an app to print from my iOS device. That's all.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
The difference is that your take has no basis in fact. iOS is quite well documented, and the facts are right there. It was built from the ground up. Whenever changes are made, they are made to the core OS, not bolted on as external apps. Even Blackberry's much touted Android player is simply an app bolted on.

BB10 is also documented if you know where to look. Just follow the development of the Playbook, through bb10. It's actually laughable how similar the two are.

You and I must have different internets, because my internet says IOS is derived from Osx.

While BBX is derived from QNX.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

As I said above AirPrint does not work on my home network. I can install a windows third party program to make it work, but I haven't done that yet.

Or I guess I can download an app from the old store, but not doing that either.

Yeah anyway. Someone posed a question of: how do I print natively from my BlackBerry 10. I said you can't, you need an app. That is correct.

And I said I don't need an app to print from my iOS, that is correct.

You need a printer upgrade. It's not to do with either BlackBerry or Apple for you. It's your printer.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, this thread has wasted far too much of my time.
It's quite sad really.

I actually like both iOS and BB10.
I like iOS more, as it suits my work and lifestyle better than BB10.
This would seem to be the case for the majority of people out there choosing between the 2 platforms.

I've probably made some gross over-exaggerations in this thread in response to even more ridiculous claims from the other camp, but that's why fighting about phones is so stupid.
So little fact checking, so much opinion listed as fact.

The OP has never returned since the first page, so this thread has completely run its course. It's now just a dumping ground for the few Blackberry diehards who choose for whatever reason to float around the Apple forums.

IMO the only thing sadder than arguing about phones, is coming to another fansite and trying to evangelize for your device of choice.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I don't care about either platform personally. I'll use whatever.

I just wish I could have BlackBerry and Apple features on one device. Someday.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion BlackBerry 10 isn't much better than BlackBerry OS7 regarding apps and built in features. That's why I talk them both in a similar way.

I'd love to have a BlackBerry. I would. When they get their App Store built up I will be back! BlackBerry 10 also lost a lot of great BlackBerry OS7 features.

In my opinion. Can BlackBerry 10 do headless apps yet?

Yes it can, have you at all gone through the feature list?

The fact that you think bbOS is anything like bb10, leads me to question your opinion because it's not technically anything like bbOS. The fact that you don't know bb10 can do headless apps, again makes me question your opinion?

And bb10 is isht load better than bbOS on terms of features? Most basically it was built from day one to support touch, it's gestures base, the hub, the web browser is the best on the market, why because initially people had to rely on the web for apps like your banking program that may not be present.

Honestly , it's ridiculous to compare bbOS and bb10. And yes bb10 removed things done in bbOS, because they weren't relevant to the new paradigm of navigating on blackberry devices.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I don't care about either platform personally. I'll use whatever.

I just wish I could have BlackBerry and Apple features on one device. Someday.

I use both. But I enjoy talking tech , examining, seeing how it works, what works well, what doesn't. Tech as a whole fascinates, and the truth is both products do something's really well, and some not so well...

For example, entertainment. Hands down iOS , the integration is second to none, business productivity hands down I give to berry, office integration is second to none especially outlook exchange integration, BeS much tighter coupling than active sync

Honestly, I find I can do what I want on either device, it's just a difference in ease and how I want to do it.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I like both too. And enjoy tech. Don't really like talking about it because people gets I defensive!

Mention an LED light for iPhone and some people get angry. Grrr. Haha.

I miss BlackBerry keyboard, size, LED, custom sound profiles.

Put those on iPhone. Or put Apple apps on BlackBerry. Either way, I like both for different reasons.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah anyway. Someone posed a question of: how do I print natively from my BlackBerry 10. I said you can't, you need an app. That is correct.

And I said I don't need an app to print from my iOS, that is correct.

You need a printer upgrade. It's not to do with either BlackBerry or Apple for you. It's your printer.

I have $2000 worth of new printer models, that I have to update them to get AirPrint is ludicrous. Not going to happen. So as I said, printing from iPhone a fail.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, this thread has wasted far too much of my time.
It's quite sad really.

I actually like both iOS and BB10.
I like iOS more, as it suits my work and lifestyle better than BB10.
This would seem to be the case for the majority of people out there choosing between the 2 platforms.

I've probably made some gross over-exaggerations in this thread in response to even more ridiculous claims from the other camp, but that's why fighting about phones is so stupid.
So little fact checking, so much opinion listed as fact.

The OP has never returned since the first page, so this thread has completely run its course. It's now just a dumping ground for the few Blackberry diehards who choose for whatever reason to float around the Apple forums.

IMO the only thing sadder than arguing about phones, is coming to another fansite and trying to evangelize for your device of choice.

Except you have been a part of this discussion. I like IOS however I like BB10 better, but for other reasons ended up with a 5s. It is definitely okay.

I agree "facts" appear to have taken a back seat to hyperbole.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have $2000 worth of new printer models, that I have to update them to get AirPrint is ludicrous. Not going to happen. So as I said, printing from iPhone a fail.

But you'll pay $900 for a phone you're going to keep maybe two years? Seems odd.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
But you'll pay $900 for a phone you're going to keep maybe two years? Seems odd.

I kind of had to laugh at this. I'm the type who wouldn't spend hardly a thing on a printer or even a laptop. Yet, I've spent over 3K on phones in the last year alone (I'm an employee of a prepaid subsidiary of Sprint). I literally update my phone every 2-5 months. Not to mention I've got my non-work related line I update once a year too.

I think airprint is a cool feature, I just wouldn't really use it myself. Though yeah, you get what you pay for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2