Z10 to iphone5s?

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes my original post reflects that I understand it must be an AirPrint enabled printer.

Prints direct to printer with no app required.

Still looking for your BB10 solution for this problem in regards to your earlier BB10/iOS equality statement.

I'm not trying to be a jack*** here but, I've been searching for an answer to this forever so if you've got one please feel free to let me in on the secret!

There are many things that BB10
cannot do yet that iOS can. This is just one example. To state otherwise without answers or solutions especially when asked just doesn't make sense.

In theory I can print from both IOS and BBOS. In reality I don't know how to print natively from either of them. This was a bad example as the saying "there's an app for that" applies.

As the poster above said, where's the file manager on IOS? There isn't even an app for that.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
In theory I can print from both IOS and BBOS. In reality I don't know how to print natively from either of them. This was a bad example as the saying "there's an app for that" applies.

As the poster above said, where's the file manager on IOS? There isn't even an app for that.

There are plenty of file manager apps in the App Store. They work with mixed results but, they do exist.

If you could kindly point me towards a BB10 app that prints from device direct to a network printer without a pc host or to Staples that would be great!!

Edit: I re-read your post and noticed you mentioned BBOS. Legacy devices did have some options in App World that would support this. BB10 does not have any of these options yet.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
There are plenty of file manager apps in the App Store. They work with mixed results but, they do exist.

If you could kindly point me towards a BB10 app that prints from device direct to a network printer without a pc host or to Staples that would be great!!

If you kindly direct to an app that provides a hub for messaging , or one for swipe texting, or maybe a removable battery , or separate user space for corporate emails/messaging and personal emails/messaging , or toast multitasking notifications ( yeah that's right I don't have to leave my current app at all to respond to any message.... Wow real multitasking),or how about removal of an archaic home button, if you could show me all these things it would greatly be appreciated.

I mean we can both keep going here ... Ps try playcloud if you want such an app on bberry! Next victim....

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Rushed in a sense of leaving out simple stuff like a music equalizer. Glad to see that they finally got their headless API situation together. I rely heavily on push notifications (personal and professional), and the lack of headless api's killed my z10 experience. The media player was also a crapshoot. I had over 50 albums on my z10, and for some odd reason the media player assigned one album cover to all 50 albums.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

The multitasking stuff is kind of a joke at this point. It's an absolute battery killer on BB10. There was a recent thread on Crackberry where users were polled as to whether or not they left active frames running. The overwhelming majority said no due to the significant battery drain. I think that was another rushed portion of BB10. They couldn't develop a real mobile background processing solution, so they just stuck with what was already baked into neutrino. If I start a background task, I don't want it sitting there chewing up resources. If I'm downloading or uploading a file in the background, why would I want an entire app chewing up resources to do that?

iOS absolutely excels here, even more so with the new iOS7 APIs. The smart background fetch on iOS is absolutely amazing. As soon as I open an app, it's got fresh content waiting for me, no need to wait for a refresh. In fact, no need to even have the app running at all, burning battery for no reason.

There's a reason why ALL other Mobile OSs have taken the same route with background processes. Android, iOs and WP all follow the same paradigm. It's not because they can't (jail breaking and rooting tweaks have easily shown that the platforms are more than capable of it), it's because they were designed for mobile, rather than a rushed desktop OS crammed into a mobile device.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Mike are you serious ?

In conceited z10 battery life is atrocious and pales I'm comparison to my 5s!!!

Multitasking just because much older OSs than bb10 have to tweak their current OS to do so doesn't mean it's a joke on bb10 too though.

Bb10 again being much newer was built with the idea of multitasking in hand, it's why they built the Hub in the first place. Wp, android, and iOS don't support well because it wasn't an important feature and thought when they were created especially in that screens were much smaller, bb10 does not have this problem, multitasking was from day 1 in their design rmeetings an important part of their process.

Play book was the first test ground for some if the concepts. You are right miltitasking in iOS is a joke, multitasking is not an after thought on bb10 it's built into the kernel , right down to how they manage the user and system space in the OS. Moreover bb10 has never been a desktop OS, bberry purchased QNX maker quantum who deals exclusively in mobile OSes.

Also, with headless apps you no longer need an active frame, I doubt though this would improve better battery life.

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Edit: I re-read your post and noticed you mentioned BBOS. Legacy devices did have some options in App World that would support this. BB10 does not have any of these options yet.

Without much issue I was able to print from my storm 2 to my home network. Yes I had an app for that but it worked fairly well.

That IOS relies on the printer leaves me without a solution except there's an app for that.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Could you do us both a favour and refrain from replying to me anymore?
I will put you on ignore to help facilitate this.

In the interest of keeping this civil, I'm going to quote myself again here.
It seems you missed this the first and second time since I keep getting quote notifications from you.
Acadia, I have had you on my ignore list for almost 2 weeks.
The only post I've bothered to read from you is one where I was warned by a fellow forum member that you were being extremely hostile and distasteful.

I don't respect your posting style, nor your petty reasons for bashing Apple devices on an Apple fan site.
Your posts are often riddled with inaccuracies or flatout fabrications and I don't have the time, nor the energy to reply.
I'm not the first person on this site to tell you this, and I likely won't be the last.
So I'm writing this for your own good. Don't quote me and expect a response, you will never get one.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
The multitasking stuff is kind of a joke at this point. It's an absolute battery killer on BB10. There was a recent thread on Crackberry where users were polled as to whether or not they left active frames running. The overwhelming majority said no due to the significant battery drain. I think that was another rushed portion of BB10. They couldn't develop a real mobile background processing solution, so they just stuck with what was already baked into neutrino. If I start a background task, I don't want it sitting there chewing up resources. If I'm downloading or uploading a file in the background, why would I want an entire app chewing up resources to do that?

iOS absolutely excels here, even more so with the new iOS7 APIs. The smart background fetch on iOS is absolutely amazing. As soon as I open an app, it's got fresh content waiting for me, no need to wait for a refresh. In fact, no need to even have the app running at all, burning battery for no reason.

There's a reason why ALL other Mobile OSs have taken the same route with background processes. Android, iOs and WP all follow the same paradigm. It's not because they can't (jail breaking and rooting tweaks have easily shown that the platforms are more than capable of it), it's because they were designed for mobile, rather than a rushed desktop OS crammed into a mobile device.

Please do not talk about battery life on BBOS. As I previously said there are far too many threads on the inter webs dealing with battery life, resprings, reboots, app crashes to trash BBOS. It's a joke how many of these threads actually exist.

You may have no issues on your iPhone, my friends who have the z10/z30 are not having issues. We're left with proving unsubstantiated data via the internet.

iOS clearly does not excel as you put it. BBOS was built from the ground up as a robust, secure, lightweight and fast multitasking environment. And to boot it came or if the gate with copy and paste and a file manager..

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
In the interest of keeping this civil, I'm going to quote myself again here.
It seems you missed this the first and second time since I keep getting quote notifications from you.
Acadia, I have had you on my ignore list for almost 2 weeks.
The only post I've bothered to read from you is one where I was warned by a fellow forum member that you were being extremely hostile and distasteful.

I don't respect your posting style, nor your petty reasons for bashing Apple devices on an Apple fan site.
Your posts are often riddled with inaccuracies or flatout fabrications and I don't have the time, nor the energy to reply.
I'm not the first person on this site to tell you this, and I likely won't be the last.
So I'm writing this for your own good. Don't quote me and expect a response, you will never get one.

So ignore me?!? If you don't like my discussions, don't comment, I didn't approach you saying I'm ignoring you because I don't like your opinions and thoughts. Don't talk about it, be about it. You going to defriend me from your Facebook do I look like a child , who has internet anxiety because some person some millions of bits away won't contact me???

Who is bashing apple, why would I bash products I use, I can ,unlike you , accept both their shortcomings and their advantages. You seem incapable of this simple impartialness.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Without much issue I was able to print from my storm 2 to my home network. Yes I had an app for that but it worked fairly well.

That IOS relies on the printer leaves me without a solution except there's an app for that.

It makes for an extremely confusing conversation when you keep jumping from BB10 to BBOS and back again. It almost seems like you're combining their feature sets in some cases. I don't think you're willfully trying to confuse, but nevertheless it really muddies the conversation.

iOS has the ability to directly print to a variety of printers natively. With the addition of various apps it can print to many more printers.
BBOS did not have the ability to print directly to any printer, BUT there were apps available to enable this for some printers.
BB10 does not have the ability to print directly to any printer. AFAIK there are no apps that currently enable this functionality (without requiring extra hardware in between).

If anything, this is another situation that shows a feature that not only iOS has over BB10, but even legacy BBOS has over BB10. It's part of BB10's problem, it tried to be too many things to too many people. Dumping tons of legacy features in exchange for some (often poorly implemented) consumer features.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Please do not talk about battery life on BBOS. As I previously said there are far too many threads on the inter webs dealing with battery life, resprings, reboots, app crashes to trash BBOS. It's a joke how many of these threads actually exist.

You may have no issues on your iPhone, my friends who have the z10/z30 are not having issues. We're left with proving unsubstantiated data via the internet.

iOS clearly does not excel as you put it. BBOS was built from the ground up as a robust, secure, lightweight and fast multitasking environment. And to boot it came or if the gate with copy and paste and a file manager..

The sheer volume of threads complaining about battery at crackberry would seem to indicate that the problem was much larger, especially considering that there was 100s of times more iOS devices than there are BB10 devices. For the issues to be similar, I'd expect to see 200+ complaints about iOS battery for every 1 complaint about BB10. But in fact, it almost seems to be the reverse!

I still can't tell what you're talking about when you say BBOS since that refers to the old legacy Blackberry OS. If you are talking aboug BB10 being built from the ground up, then that is an absolute joke. BB10 is the QNX Neutrino OS with a TON of crap bolted on. I saw a picture on Crackberry once that illustrated this beautifully. It had Pippy Longstocking with a QNX logo on her, attempting to balance a whole pile of random stuff that makes up BB10. BB10 is a bolt-on solution, there is absolutely nothing about it that is from the ground up.

Heck, it can even be seen in the simplest places, like the inability to choose a system-wide theme for the device. BB introduced the ability to choose a dark or light theme, but only from within select apps because the apps are all bolted on, with only very loose ties to the rest of the OS.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I've never discussed bbOS, you guys being up bbOS, why would I bring up bbOS, an old OS, it's like talking about windows xp??? I'm talking of bberry today and now, would I compare bberry now to iOS 3.0 , that would be silly.

Ps battery life in z10 is horrible !!!! Period!!! Even carrying 2 batteries I can't make it through a day.

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
BBOS is my reference to BB10. Saying BB10 is QNX with a ton of crap is like saying windows 8.1 is windows 3 with a ton of crap(I would have used a Mac OS reference but I don't know enough about the lineage)

On my iPhone I have a juice pack air so I can make it through the day.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
False.

You can, there is breezy print, plus many others, again both platforms support printing and must be done installing additional apps. Neither one out of box connects to printer without additional apps, mostly because even with your PC you have to install a driver to print to a printer, you need to do the same thing on your smartphone this is why the additional apps are required for printing whether it's bb10 or iOS.

Print to go , is for printing from your PC to your blackberry (bb10 device acts as the printer).

I said you can't do it natively. You need an app.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
BBOS is my reference to BB10. Saying BB10 is QNX with a ton of crap is like saying windows 8.1 is windows 3 with a ton of crap(I would have used a Mac OS reference but I don't know enough about the lineage)

On my iPhone I have a juice pack air so I can make it through the day.

Windows 3.1 was DOS with some crap tacked on. Windows 8 is Windows 7 with some crap tacked on. There is virtually nothing from Windows 3.1 in Windows 8 (at least code wise).
Still, these are desktop OSs, not mobile. All OSs are iterative to some degree, the problem is when you iterate from a desktop OS to a mobile OS.

Could you take a stove and turn it into a BBQ? Probably, but you're in for a world of hurt.
You're much better off taking only the core components you need from the stove and building a BBQ from the ground up.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Installing an app is one way to do it on iOS yes. Apps are readily available and work reasonably well. AirPrint prints to enabled printers with no app required.

Where is the BB10 native app or 3rd party solutions for this?

100% you do not need an app to print from iOS. I don't have any apps for it. I get an email or PDF or whatever and I just hit print. No apps required.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
It's done the same way you do it on an iPhone. Installing an app. Neither platform comes with the ability to print on their own but both have native apps that allow you to do so.

photo.PNG

This is not true. On my iOS 7 5c I don't need an app. I open the mail, menu, print.

No app needed. IOS doesn't need an app. BlackBerry does. On BlackBerry OS7 the app never worked for me.

Last edited:

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
This is not true. On my iOS 7 5c I don't need an app. I open the mail, menu, print.

No app needed. IOS doesn't need an app. BlackBerry does. On BlackBerry OS7 the app never worked for me.

This is only true if your printer supports AirPrint protocol. It's not the phone that makes this possible, it's the printer plus the software that ioS7 has, Mac OS also supports this feature, and conceivably there are people now writing apps that will support AirPrint protocol on other devices.

Also why are you guys still talking about bbos7, bb10 is not bbOS, it's not even in the same family or built on the same technology. Let it go. Should I compare bb10 to iOS 1.0?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Windows 3.1 was DOS with some crap tacked on. Windows 8 is Windows 7 with some crap tacked on. There is virtually nothing from Windows 3.1 in Windows 8 (at least code wise).
Still, these are desktop OSs, not mobile. All OSs are iterative to some degree, the problem is when you iterate from a desktop OS to a mobile OS.

Could you take a stove and turn it into a BBQ? Probably, but you're in for a world of hurt.
You're much better off taking only the core components you need from the stove and building a BBQ from the ground up.

Bb10 isn't a desktop OS , nor is its QNX base???? I don't get the point? Bb10 is built from the ground up.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
This is only true if your printer supports AirPrint protocol. It's not the phone that makes this possible, it's the printer plus the software that ioS7 has, Mac OS also supports this feature, and conceivably there are people now writing apps that will support AirPrint protocol on other devices.

Also why are you guys still talking about bbos7, bb10 is not bbOS, it's not even in the same family or built on the same technology. Let it go. Should I compare bb10 to iOS 1.0?

Also not true. My printer is wifi enabled. But it's also 3 years old. It doesn't support anything special. It's a $30 printer.

So whatever airplay is must be available on all printers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods