Z10 to iphone5s?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just care about being able to do what I want to do other than the usual suspects such as email. News, banking, travel reservations, navigation...pretty much can be done on either platform.

It sounds like BB10 is a great platform for you then. Goes back to one of my first posts (before all the babbling and platform advocacy started) where everyone has a device that's "best" for them. One problem is when others try to cram their ideals down your throat...especially when they come to a site dedicated to one device, and try to scream at the top of their lungs to advocate for a different platform.

It becomes a personal preference as to what you prefer. Inherently I think IOS is dated with BBOS being the "better" OS.

I hope it perseveres.
I think iOS is a much more mobile focused OS which not only feels more modern, but also much more complete. Aesthetics are also important to me, and I feel like BB10 still looks like something from the Windows ME era.

But I also hope it perseveres, and I hope it does that by becoming focused on a target demographic and filling out the feature set to fit that demographic.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Dude, bb10 feels extremely modern analyst agree on that one? How are transparent tiles windows ME? Come on man, this the issue with many of the arguments they seem like people are commenting on bbOS 7, not bb10. Bb10 looks fresher than iOS, and it should it's much newer???!???

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough.........

How do I print natively from BB10 directly to my printer?!?!

It's done the same way you do it on an iPhone. Installing an app. Neither platform comes with the ability to print on their own but both have native apps that allow you to do so.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You can't. I think the Print to Go app may work.

False.

You can, there is breezy print, plus many others, again both platforms support printing and must be done installing additional apps. Neither one out of box connects to printer without additional apps, mostly because even with your PC you have to install a driver to print to a printer, you need to do the same thing on your smartphone this is why the additional apps are required for printing whether it's bb10 or iOS.

Print to go , is for printing from your PC to your blackberry (bb10 device acts as the printer).

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough.........

How do I print natively from BB10 directly to my printer?!?!

Can't do it. Nothing like AirPrint on blackberry. I'm sure there are some apps somewhere that may work with certain printers. Nothing like the built-in AirPrint functionality though, no app required for that :)

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's done the same way you do it on an iPhone. Installing an app. Neither platform comes with the ability to print on their own but both have native apps that allow you to do so.

Installing an app is one way to do it on iOS yes. Apps are readily available and work reasonably well. AirPrint prints to enabled printers with no app required.

Where is the BB10 native app or 3rd party solutions for this?

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
False.

You can, there is breezy print, plus many others, again both platforms support printing and must be done installing additional apps. Neither one out of box connects to printer without additional apps, mostly because even with your PC you have to install a driver to print to a printer, you need to do the same thing on your smartphone this is why the additional apps are required for printing whether it's bb10 or iOS.

Print to go , is for printing from your PC to your blackberry (bb10 device acts as the printer).

False.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Can't do it. Nothing like AirPrint on blackberry. I'm sure there are some apps somewhere that may work with certain printers. Nothing like the built-in AirPrint functionality though, no app required for that :)

This is only true if the printer is an AirPrint enabled printer and /or you are using Mac OS.

Otherwise as stated the the method is exactly the same between either platform. So, to imply you can do it simply by having an iphone is disingenuous! you need AirPrint enabled printer, and then you can do it. You can't just walk into someone's house and go oh gee let me print to your printer. And this is because of how printer protocols work ... AirPrint though is a unique feature in the sense if you are completely Apple world it makes it seamless to print Froman iDevice.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

All righty since we are nit-picking, I have about $2000 worth of printers in my house and no way to print from any IOS device natively. Now my router comes with something that I can download to my pc and do something to let me air-print, but I haven't had the time to take a look at it. I think it's great that in the end there is someway to support printing from an IOS device, but it would be nice to do it without installing new infrastructure.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
All righty since we are nit-picking, I have about $2000 worth of printers in my house and no way to print from any IOS device natively. Now my router comes with something that I can download to my pc and do something to let me air-print, but I haven't had the time to take a look at it. I think it's great that in the end there is someway to support printing from an IOS device, but it would be nice to do it without installing new infrastructure.

It's too bad that you don't have a compatible device. Still, having an ecosystem with these type of devices available is still an advantage over not having them, no matter how you twist it.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Installing an app is one way to do it on iOS yes. Apps are readily available and work reasonably well. AIRPRINT PRINTS TO ENABLED PRINTERS WITH NO APP REQUIRED.

Where is the BB10 native app or 3rd party solutions for this?

This is only true if the printer is an AirPrint enabled printer and /or you are using Mac OS.

Otherwise as stated the the method is exactly the same between either platform. So, to imply you can do it simply by having an iphone is disingenuous! you need AirPrint enabled printer, and then you can do it. You can't just walk into someone's house and go oh gee let me print to your printer. And this is because of how printer protocols work ... AirPrint though is a unique feature in the sense if you are completely Apple world it makes it seamless to print Froman iDevice.

Yes my original post reflects that I understand it must be an AirPrint enabled printer.

Prints direct to printer with no app required.

Still looking for your BB10 solution for this problem in regards to your earlier BB10/iOS equality statement.

I'm not trying to be a jack*** here but, I've been searching for an answer to this forever so if you've got one please feel free to let me in on the secret!

There are many things that BB10
cannot do yet that iOS can. This is just one example. To state otherwise without answers or solutions especially when asked just doesn't make sense.

CardsFan314

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The app gap is no more.

I can download about any android app I need, and they all run flawlessly. I have every bank app I could want, games, forums, ect.

The "lack of apps" doesn't work anymore, on reasons to switch from BB to iOS/droid.

Not true IMO. iOS remains n?mero uno when it comes to app quality. How does os10 handle push notifications for apps such as twitter (favorites, lists, etc etc), the score, checks, cnbc, and bloomberg? Blackberry has some cool features, however I can't help but feel they rushed this os. Everything from the ui design, to the media player (os10 has the worst media player of all major os's) feels amateurish.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Not true IMO. iOS remains n?mero uno when it comes to app quality. How does os10 handle push notifications for apps such as twitter (favorites, lists, etc etc), the score, checks, cnbc, and bloomberg? Blackberry has some cool features, however I can't help but feel they rushed this os. Everything from the ui design, to the media player (os10 has the worst media player of all major os's) feels amateurish.

Rushed what? What are you taking about.... Dude what do you mean how do they handle push notifications?it shows up in the hub. It's handled like any modern mobile OS. Not only that twitter, fb, etc..., are native apps. Not only that you can have headless apps , they don't even run in a window , it's a complete background process, allowing for way more flexibility. Furthermore, apps are created by developers not bberry.

Finally, gestures based OS are far from amateurish, it's the next evolution in mobile OS. There is a lot to complain about but calling the OS amateurish sounds like someone who's never used it.and the media player ???? Hu h? These complaints sound like complaints about bbOS 7. And bb10 not only being a complete rewrite is nothing like the old OS. It's not even the same technology , bb10 being QNX based. I could say you could even call it rushed a year ago, but it was delayed 2 years so rushed I didn't see it as, when it first came out, but today that's a ridiculous assertion ? It's been more than a year and quite a few updates.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes my original post reflects that I understand it must be an AirPrint enabled printer.

Prints direct to printer with no app required.

Still looking for your BB10 solution for this problem in regards to your earlier BB10/iOS equality statement.

I'm not trying to be a jack*** here but, I've been searching for an answer to this forever so if you've got one please feel free to let me in on the secret!

There are many things that BB10
cannot do yet that iOS can. This is just one example. To state otherwise without answers or solutions especially when asked just doesn't make sense.

And vice versa. There are many things bb10 can do that iOS can't. If this is your view.

My original comment was more directed at common functionality for example when iOS first arrived it could not mmS , universally mms was available on all phones.

AirPrint again only works with the AirPrint printers, number. 2, all the major platforms offer printing capability , apple specifically has created a protocol wirhch had nothing to do with the
iphone that allows pronting without drivers if a printer supports AirPrint. This is not a feature of the iphone but feature the protocol , I can do it aLoa with a Mac

CardsFan314

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Rushed what? What are you taking about.... Dude what do you mean how do they handle push notifications?it shows up in the hub. It's handled like any modern mobile OS. Not only that twitter, fb, etc..., are native apps. Not only that you can have headless apps , they don't even run in a window , it's a complete background process, allowing for way more flexibility. Furthermore, apps are created by developers not bberry.

Finally, gestures based OS are far from amateurish, it's the next evolution in mobile OS. There is a lot to complain about but calling the OS amateurish sounds like someone who's never used it.and the media player ???? Hu h? These complaints sound like complaints about bbOS 7. And bb10 not only being a complete rewrite is nothing like the old OS. It's not even the same technology , bb10 being QNX based. I could say you could even call it rushed a year ago, but it was delayed 2 years so rushed I didn't see it as, when it first came out, but today that's a ridiculous assertion ? It's been more than a year and quite a few updates.

Rushed in a sense of leaving out simple stuff like a music equalizer. Glad to see that they finally got their headless API situation together. I rely heavily on push notifications (personal and professional), and the lack of headless api's killed my z10 experience. The media player was also a crapshoot. I had over 50 albums on my z10, and for some odd reason the media player assigned one album cover to all 50 albums.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Rushed in a sense of leaving out simple stuff like a music equalizer. Glad to see that they finally got their headless API situation together. I rely heavily on push notifications (personal and professional), and the lack of headless api's killed my z10 experience. The media player was also a crapshoot. I had over 50 albums on my z10, and for some odd reason the media player assigned one album cover to all 50 albums.

I don't think that's an issue of rush, that's an issue of paradigm! Simply put berry doesn't focus on the entertainment aspect of a smartphone . Hands down the music integration on iOS is far superior to any other smart phones, IMHO. But this has always been an Apple thing. Saying Bberry 10 device is rushed because it doesn't have a music equalizer is absurd, it's not something berry would consider a focus of their devices. You can get one as an app of course.

It would be like saying iOS is unfinished because it doesn't have a file manager? Where is iOS file manager???

Get my point.... It's a paradigm issue. It's not that Apple decided to not add a file manager because they were rushing to get the OS out. It's not their natively on purpose.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app