Z10 to iphone5s?

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
But, the red notification light, well, that is another story!
It can be overcome.

My original post did not include the quote above.
How can the red notification light be overcome?

daveshiz

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Getting used to my new in phone5s but got to say my old z10 is still my favorite even with its lack of main apps and battery problems

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
But, the red notification light, well, that is another story!
It can be overcome.

My original post did not include the quote above.
How can the red notification light be overcome?

That blinking red notification light is probably the single best feature of any blackberry.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The lack of apps and the camera quality have me the incentive to get the 5S. Blackberry is lacking in apps even with side loading them, I tried to side load my banking app but when I tried to use it it would not work. If apple and android can do it then blackberry should be able to do the same.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
The lack of apps and the camera quality have me the incentive to get the 5S. Blackberry is lacking in apps even with side loading them, I tried to side load my banking app but when I tried to use it it would not work. If apple and android can do it then blackberry should be able to do the same.

Apple ecosystem is 7 years old, android is 5 years old, of course both have more apps... Bb10 is 1 year old. For example it took 18 months before Instagram was on android. Apps are created by developers not the 3 mentioned companies ... Furthermore all major apps are available on bb10 accept maybe shazam, but sound hound is. I find things missing are more items like banking apps, etc.... Also 10.2 ,allows natve side loading of android apps meaning now you just go to android market place directly on phone and install it just like any other app.

I agree the ecosystem isn't as mature on bb10 but it's also much newer than the others so this is expected.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Apple ecosystem is 7 years old, android is 5 years old, of course both have more apps... Bb10 is 1 year old. For example it took 18 months before Instagram was on android. Apps are created by developers not the 3 mentioned companies ... Furthermore all major apps are available on bb10 accept maybe shazam, but sound hound is. I find things missing are more items like banking apps, etc.... Also 10.2 ,allows natve side loading of android apps meaning now you just go to android market place directly on phone and install it just like any other app.

I agree the ecosystem isn't as mature on bb10 but it's also much newer than the others so this is expected.

I prefer a physical keyboard over a touch screen but all the other factors made me switch. If blackberry gets the apps that are needed and actually markets their devices properly then they would be the biggest come back kid! I hope they succeed and they still have a good chance at doing so but I haven't seen any real signs of it. The BB10 system is awesome but it's needs the other factors to become a total success. The major issue is the media constantly beating blackberry up, look at apples stock last year loosing almost 250 points which was media driven.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have. Z10 is an ok phone and the BB10 was fine. It was the lack of apps that made me move the the iPhone 5S. And I didn't want to do any side loading of android apps either.

Useful, productive apps or games and stuff?? Just curious...

This is the type of exchange that occurs every time the topic of iPhone v BlackBerry is discussed. A former BlackBerry user will say they left BB devices because of the lack of apps followed by the predictable response from BlackBerry diehards with code words like useful and productive as opposed to games and stuff. The insinuation is obvious, iPhone users can have their games and stuff but BlackBerry is for those who are serious about being productive. Even though BlackBerry's "Tools not Toys" advertising campaign was a miserable failure with consumers the slogan has taken a deep root within the BlackBerry community and has become a smug responses used in an attempt to prove they are superior for choosing to use a device that is productive. Your question was nothing more than an attempt to communicate your opinion that BlackBerry is for production and the iPhone is for games and stuff. The issue you and other BlackBerry defenders have with this arguement is the iPhone is more productive than BlackBerry because of the available apps. Whether it is finance, medicine, education, or any other professional field, the available of apps makes iDevices more useful to most people than BlackBerry. It is the same for personal production apps like banking and travel. iPhone is a more useful tool to the vast majority of consumers.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Blackberry is competing with the Android and Apple ecosystems today, not 5 and 7 years ago.
Implying that "all major apps" are available on the Blackberry 10 platform is also extremely laughable.
This is the typical "it does what I want it to, so all your arguments are null" attitude.

Blackberry 10 is a niche product. There's no denying that a few people find it to be the best solution for them. The problem is, the vast majority of people do not.

Also, any mention of sideloading simply nullifies any argument in my opinion. The average user does not know how to sideload a 3rd party apps store, nor do they want to be bothered with it.

How would the sales pitch go?

"Well, it doesn't have many apps, but you can go to an internet forum and download this app that lets you use a backdoor into the Android app store, as long as google doesn't change things to completely break it. Then put your phone into development mode. Then connect your phone to the (windows only) computer that everyone has laying around. Then go to a forum on the internet and download a completely un-vetted piece of software. Now download a special tool that allows you to transfer this software to your device. Then you can download Android apps (free apps only) and maybe they will work on your phone."

vs

"Here's an Android phone. Turn it on a tap Google Play to download any app you could imagine."

If I wanted to run Android apps, I'd buy an Android phone and inherit the benefits of the Android platform along with it.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
When I say productivity I'm talking business productivity, exchange integration still by far the best on bb10, as well as support for office products excel, word, etc... My actual day job.

Ok, another WTF moment here. Exchange integration is virtually identical on iPhone and Blackberry 10 devices. With the removal of BIS, Blackberry, IMO, lost their edge on email. EAS works the same on both devices, there is zero advantage there.

And support for office products better on Blackberry, really?
How could you possibly come to this conclusion?
Even if you ignore the face that Pages, Numbers and Keynote exceptionally more capable than Documents to Go on Blackberry 10, you simply can't ignore the fact that the OFFICIAL version of Office 365 is available on iOS, as well as the same application (Documents to Go) that you claim offers the best support on Blackberry, is available on iOS as well.

Again, the platform is undoubtedly the best for a few people. Different strokes for different folks. But come on, making up things, or making grossly inaccurate claims to try and justify your decision to others is kind of silly, no?

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
This is the type of exchange that occurs every time the topic of iPhone v BlackBerry is discussed. A former BlackBerry user will say they left BB devices because of the lack of apps followed by the predictable response from BlackBerry diehards with code words like useful and productive as opposed to games and stuff. The insinuation is obvious, iPhone users can have their games and stuff but BlackBerry is for those who are serious about being productive. Even though BlackBerry's "Tools not Toys" advertising campaign was a miserable failure with consumers the slogan has taken a deep root within the BlackBerry community and has become a smug responses used in an attempt to prove they are superior for choosing to use a device that is productive. Your question was nothing more than an attempt to communicate your opinion that BlackBerry is for production and the iPhone is for games and stuff. The issue you and other BlackBerry defenders have with this arguement is the iPhone is more productive than BlackBerry because of the available apps. Whether it is finance, medicine, education, or any other professional field, the available of apps makes iDevices more useful to most people than BlackBerry. It is the same for personal production apps like banking and travel. iPhone is a more useful tool to the vast majority of consumers.

I don't think anyone is saying iphone is simply for games, also as bberry and iphone user, I'm saying bb10 especially is better for productivity because I find it's productivity integration to be a lot better, BeS is much better than active sync, I can actually download onto the device, outlook integration much better, there is a file manager , being gestures based Bb10 allows for actual for real multitasking , ie checking a message without leaving the current app, simply through a hand motion. The message received status light ... Bberry simply does productivity very well. Native swipe typing, etc.... It's not to say iphone does not allow you to be productive, it's simply stating productivity is a strong suit for Bberry.

I just read another thread someone complaining about not being able to open a zip file on iOS, no such issue on my Z10, often attachments are sent as zip files , Bberry inderstanding the business world does what, has native integration... This is just a simple example of what I'm talking about.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
The keyboard might be more important than a camera to some but you're wrong to imply that it is a universal fact. I have six grandchildren with two more on the way and the quality of the camera on my phone is by far more important to me. It does not matter to me, and if sales figures are an indication it doesn't matter to millions of others either, the Z10 has a superior keyboard. The camera, FaceTime, being able to sync with my other Apple devices, and the availability of apps more than make up for the perceived edge the Z10 keyboard provides.

This is where the BlackBerry fans will give the "primary purpose of phone is a communication device" response. My answer to that is this, I've had two iPhones now and I've never missed an email, text message, or phone call. My iPhone is a solid communication device.

I've already been burnt , meaning lost pictures due to the inadequacy of the 5s camera. While it has gotten a lot of positive press, I've learned if I absolutely want to capture the moment, lug my dslr and lenses.

So to me I was hoping the 5s would open a new world from my blackberry, and I do like the iPhone, it hasn't. The best part of the 5s is the browser as far as I'm concerned, light years ahead of my old blackberry.

And yes, it is a communication device.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok, another WTF moment here. Exchange integration is virtually identical on iPhone and Blackberry 10 devices. With the removal of BIS, Blackberry, IMO, lost their edge on email. EAS works the same on both devices, there is zero advantage there.

And support for office products better on Blackberry, really?
How could you possibly come to this conclusion?
Even if you ignore the face that Pages, Numbers and Keynote exceptionally more capable than Documents to Go on Blackberry 10, you simply can't ignore the fact that the OFFICIAL version of Office 365 is available on iOS, as well as the same application (Documents to Go) that you claim offers the best support on Blackberry, is available on iOS as well.

Again, the platform is undoubtedly the best for a few people. Different strokes for different folks. But come on, making up things, or making grossly inaccurate claims to try and justify your decision to others is kind of silly, no?

Exchange integration is inferior on the iPhone. Can't flag messages private, can't set how time is displayed, we are forbidden to accept meetings on iOS devices. Plus the email client on my old blackberry is superior to iOS, IMO.

I won't comment on the rest of the post right now.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Exchange integration is inferior on the iPhone. Can't flag messages private, can't set how time is displayed, we are forbidden to accept meetings on iOS devices. Plus the email client on my old blackberry is superior to iOS, IMO.

I won't comment on the rest of the post right now.

Could you explain how you "flag messages private" on Blackberry 10? I don't see that functionality anywhere.
Setting how the time is displayed is done in Settings on iOS, and is extremely simple.
Your IT policies forbidding you from accepting meetings are of no consequence to me or any other user. The functionality works fine.

Email client thing is 100% user preference, and I personally dislike the junk drawer known as the "hub". I find the iOS client, as well as the plethora of available 3rd party clients, superior.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Could you explain how you "flag messages private" on Blackberry 10? I don't see that functionality anywhere.
Setting how the time is displayed is done in Settings on iOS, and is extremely simple.
Your IT policies forbidding you from accepting meetings are of no consequence to me or any other user. The functionality works fine.

Email client thing is 100% user preference, and I personally dislike the junk drawer known as the "hub". I find the iOS client, as well as the plethora of available 3rd party clients, superior.

The bolded is not a policy it's a verbal mandate as it screws up the meeting on exchange, issue acknowledged by all vendors. (I won't provide further details so I don't care if you don't believe it's of no consequence) My old storm 2 on BES allowed private messages, this is what I am referring to.

When the time line for the meeting is displayed in outlook, there is free, out of office, busy, etc. IOS only allows busy and free. My old blackberry supported all the options.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The bolded is not a policy it's a verbal mandate as it screws up the meeting on exchange, issue acknowledged by all vendors. (I won't provide further details so I don't care if you don't believe it's of no consequence) My old storm 2 on BES allowed private messages, this is what I am referring to.

When the time line for the meeting is displayed in outlook, there is free, out of office, busy, etc. IOS only allows busy and free. My old blackberry supported all the options.

Mandate/policy, you're arguing semantics. It's still of no concern to anyone not bound by your mandate.

But anyway, we're talking about blackberry 10 here, not BBOS. I already said earlier that BBOS was superior to all other options when it came to email. BB10 has lost that advantage.

Oh and BTW, I have no trouble with setting the meeting status (free, out of office, etc)
image.jpg

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Mandate/policy, you're arguing semantics. It's still of no concern to anyone not bound by your mandate.

But anyway, we're talking about blackberry 10 here, not BBOS. I already said earlier that BBOS was superior to all other options when it came to email. BB10 has lost that advantage.

Oh and BTW, I have no trouble with setting the meeting status (free, out of office, etc)
View attachment 45857

It maybe semantics but my email experience on the iPhone is subpar from where I came. I'm glad you like it, I don't. It's just passable.

Edit: not to mention the oddball recurring meetings I could set up along with oddball recurring daily alarms.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone is saying iphone is simply for games, also as bberry and iphone user, I'm saying bb10 especially is better for productivity because I find it's productivity integration to be a lot better, BeS is much better than active sync, I can actually download onto the device, outlook integration much better, there is a file manager , being gestures based Bb10 allows for actual for real multitasking , ie checking a message without leaving the current app, simply through a hand motion. The message received status light ... Bberry simply does productivity very well. Native swipe typing, etc.... It's not to say iphone does not allow you to be productive, it's simply stating productivity is a strong suit for Bberry.

I just read another thread someone complaining about not being able to open a zip file on iOS, no such issue on my Z10, often attachments are sent as zip files , Bberry inderstanding the business world does what, has native integration... This is just a simple example of what I'm talking about.

I can open a zip file on my iPhone or iPad, why can't you?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox