Z10 to iphone5s?

bluenote

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried the z10 for a day (I lost my iPhone 5 so seemed like a good time).

The browser was very fast--impressive. Especially since I have a playbook that I got cheap and its browser is way slower than this one. Since my iPhone was lost (and then stolen), I could not compare browser speeds with iPhone but I am sure you can find tests on the web.

Coming from a webOS device, I appreciated the gestures instead of a physical home button although it took some time to figure my way around the device.
I liked also the fact that I could swap batteries.

I could see that putting all the email and twitter social messages into the hub could be useful if I used all those ways to communicate as it would be really fast to reply. Since I only use a few of those avenues to communicate I did not need the hub and in fact it seemed cluttered to me.

I am for having alternatives to iPhone other than android so I would consider this as a second phone. I am not crazy though, about android apps as they are indiscriminate in the way they ask for permissions (a wallpaper app needs access to messages and web history really???). The most attractive thing may be the famed Blackberry security so that would limit one mostly to the blackberry apps.

I am also unsure about the fate of the OS since less than 5 million phones were sold and it seems like the older OS is selling more phones. Blackberry recently announced that they were outsourcing their phones to Foxconn rather than producing themselves so they will turn solely into a software company. I am not sure if the Foxconn phones would be the older or new OS although there seems to be software leaks for the new OS still coming on the site. Verizon notoriously slow in updating software so they are at least one iteration behind and I imagine there is not a lot of incentive for them to test the new software iterations since the user base is small although one encouraging thing is that Verizon is the carrier who is carrying the latest z30 device that came out in the fall.

I would buy one as a second device.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. The Z10 was the only phone I carried an extra battery for and actually had to use it. I haven't done that since the 9900.

I have a mophie case for my iPhone 5s, what does that say? If I didn't gave the mophie I would have some other external battery. I can't trust this phone to have juice when I really need it. With the mophie I can get a good 5+ hours on the phone if I need it.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The Z10 was the only phone I carried an extra battery for and actually had to use it. I haven't done that since the 9900.

The battery life on my Q10 is horrible as well. Not because it necessarily dies quickly through day-to-day use, but because it will sometimes randomly decide to completely discharge over a couple of hours while the phone is idle. If it weren't for major flaws like that in (I assume) the OS, then I think the battery life would be ok.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a mophie case for my iPhone 5s, what does that say? If I didn't gave the mophie I would have some other external battery. I can't trust this phone to have juice when I really need it. With the mophie I can get a good 5+ hours on the phone if I need it.

I regularly GET a good 5+ hours of screen time on it and have never needed a mophie case, so I don't seem to have that problem. Don't have anything turned off other than the plethora of location system services that most do. All my apps have background on. 50% screen brightness...

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on my Q10 is horrible as well. Not because it necessarily dies quickly through day-to-day use, but because it will sometimes randomly decide to completely discharge over a couple of hours while the phone is idle. If it weren't for major flaws like that in (I assume) the OS, then I think the battery life would be ok.

Yeah the z10 battery was well known for being far crappier than the q. I did have a couple of the random discharges though. Good times.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I regularly GET a good 5+ hours of screen time on it and have never needed a mophie case, so I don't seem to have that problem. Don't have anything turned off other than the plethora of location system services that most do. All my apps have background on. 50% screen brightness...

Thats the thing, the 5s battery life threads have been all over place. Everywhere from 2 to 10 hours on a charge, it's crazy. Im in the 5 hours of usage. I do not believe in using the iphone as a dumb device and turning everything off. So I have what i want enabled. Screen brightness i do have about 30%.

julztrades

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from the Z10 to the iPhone 5S and I miss how fluid the Z10 OS was. Phone quality (hi-def) and browsing (especially videos) were much better on the Z10. I loved the BB hub and the 5S keyboard can't even compare to the Z10. It is much easier and faster to switch in and out of apps on the Z10, I am still not used to the iPhone home button (it really gets annoying). I just found the Z10 much easier to use and more efficient. However, as others have mentioned the battery life was horrible. The phone would generally die half way through the day and I had to constantly charge it. Also, no apps. The reason I switched to the iPhone was for an app I needed which BB didn't offer. One other feature on the IPhone that I like is the blocking of phone numbers. If blackberry had the app I needed I would definitely switch back to the Z30.

Cheers

blambtn

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Thats the thing, the 5s battery life threads have been all over place. Everywhere from 2 to 10 hours on a charge, it's crazy. Im in the 5 hours of usage. I do not believe in using the iphone as a dumb device and turning everything off. So I have what i want enabled. Screen brightness i do have about 30%.

I have location enabled for every app and screen brightness around 70% and as long as I have 4g service, the battery is great for me. It drained really fast on me one time but I was on it constantly for about 5 hours and I had poor service.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just today I paid an ETF for my Q10. I love the 5S, and I also loved the Q10, however the dearth of apps killed it for me. Local Banking, News, etc. Just too few to keep me happy. It is amazing that OS10 doesn't even have a simple Banking App.

I think Apple machines are excellent.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I found BlackBerry 10 OS to be well designed for efficiency in use and to be very communications-centric. The gesture navigation (once you learn it) makes easy to zip around the OS. The virtual keyboard is one of the best I've used. The Hub is the one thing I miss most when I'm not using my Z10. The app catalog, like many have mentioned, is not great. Even if you're not a heavy app user, there may come a time in the future that there will be an app that you want or need. Chances are, it will be developed and be on iOS first. BlackBerry at this point, is not on the radar for many devs. (There is a way to load Android apps on to BB10, but not everyone will want to get into that.) From a hardware perspective, the Z10 is solidly built, nice in an unassuming and understated way. The specs are at this point mid-range at best, but still perfectly adequate to run BB10 and the apps that are available. The camera is generally good - not the best I've seen, but there are definitely a lot worse out there. The option for expandable memory is to have, but depending on someone's useage, they may not even need it. Even then, it's only good for unloading your media, pictures and documents...apps can only be installed onto the on board 16gb.

For an email and messaging heavy user who doesn't require a lot of apps, the Z10 is a pretty good choice. Messaging, communication, and efficiency have always been BlackBerry's bread and butter, and for the most part, it still is. But it is not nearly as well rounded a smartphone as an iPhone, or even Android devices are at this point.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I find it funny that I came across this thread. For the past two weeks or so, I've been researching the iPhone 5c & 5s. I'm this ---- close to getting one. But, still on the fence. My main reason for wanting to switch from my Z10 to an iPhone, is for the simplicity of using an iPhone and my iPad Mini. Yes, I would be sort of 'locked' to an ecosystem of sorts, but...

I wanted to make a switch before the year was out, thus start 2014 with a new device\OS. Anyway, time will tell.

I will say this, I don't communicate/get notifications as much as I used to years ago, so the BlackBerry Hub is now not a must have for me. But, the red notification light, well, that is another story!

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
My old storm 2 and iPad were a perfect combo. I know now why people jailbreak these iPhones, to get functionality that is built into a blackberry since before the first iPhone. That blinking notification light, I miss it.

The jury a still out for me on the iPhone, still in the getting to know you stage.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had every BlackBerry ever.

Started with the 850 and 857 two way pagers. Then it was the following:

7500 (first color)
8120 Pearl in 2006
8330 Curve in 2007
8230 Pearl Flip in 2008
8910 Curve in 2009
9860 Torch 2010
9650 Bold 2011
9930 Bold 2012
Z10 2013
Q10 2013
Z30 2013

Swore I'd never switch to an iPhone. Well, we got iPhones at work and it didn't take long to make the switch for my personal phone. The Z10 is great and the Z30 is even better. But it goes way beyond the keyboard and camera when comparing Apple to BlackBerry. Do you use other Apple products like iPad, MacBook, etc cause then there's iTunes Match and the iCloud. Additionally, Apple has had 6 year head start in a "consumer" ecosystem versus BlackBerry's "prosumer" ecosystem.

Again BlackBerry is AMAZING and I'm not bashing them, just saying go with the iPhone...

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've had every BlackBerry ever.

Started with the 850 and 857 two way pagers. Then it was the following:

7500 (first color)
8120 Pearl in 2006
8330 Curve in 2007
8230 Pearl Flip in 2008
8910 Curve in 2009
9860 Torch 2010
9650 Bold 2011
9930 Bold 2012
Z10 2013
Q10 2013
Z30 2013

Swore I'd never switch to an iPhone. Well, we got iPhones at work and it didn't take long to make the switch for my personal phone. The Z10 is great and the Z30 is even better. But it goes way beyond the keyboard and camera when comparing Apple to BlackBerry. Do you use other Apple products like iPad, MacBook, etc cause then there's iTunes Match and the iCloud. Additionally, Apple has had 6 year head start in a "consumer" ecosystem versus BlackBerry's "prosumer" ecosystem.

Again BlackBerry is AMAZING and I'm not bashing them, just saying go with the iPhone...

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly

A nice breakdown...

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I find it funny that I came across this thread. For the past two weeks or so, I've been researching the iPhone 5c & 5s. I'm this ---- close to getting one. But, still on the fence. My main reason for wanting to switch from my Z10 to an iPhone, is for the simplicity of using an iPhone and my iPad Mini. Yes, I would be sort of 'locked' to an ecosystem of sorts, but...

I wanted to make a switch before the year was out, thus start 2014 with a new device\OS. Anyway, time will tell.

I will say this, I don't communicate/get notifications as much as I used to years ago, so the BlackBerry Hub is now not a must have for me. But, the red notification light, well, that is another story!

You can flash the camera LED for messages if you want. It's white though, not quite as festive as the blackberry LED.

Mister Sir

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have. Z10 is an ok phone and the BB10 was fine. It was the lack of apps that made me move the the iPhone 5S. And I didn't want to do any side loading of android apps either.

canadian nick

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a Z10 and a Z30 and love them both. I bought my 2 kids,wife and myself iPad minis for Christmas this year and have to say I do like them a lot. I'm not trolling. I think the blackberry 10 is a far superior device.

Apple could be the best device out there but I have my complaints. no expandable memory, non standardized cables and accessories, and iTunes and the iTunes Store. These are what bug me the most. it is a fast no bull device, it has all the apps, it's quick the battery last, it looks good etc.