How are you feeling with your 5s now? For the first few days I was playing with mine incessantly? I just figurep

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Of course I've been playing with it incessantly! I'll give my Z10 a break because it is sometimes confusing to 'switch' between metaphors for proper use --maybe I'm slow but I'll get there. I kinda miss swiping for every action. And I certainly miss the 'Hub' because I do a lot of email and messaging (bbm, whatsapp, sms) and it is so convenient to have them all in one place vs. jumping from app to app.

I've used iMessages a lot because many friends have iPhones now; I can think of it as the 'new' bbm. All of its advantages seem to be there. I wonder why many people on iPhones use whatsapp so much when iMessages is a better option...

I'm still learning how to fine tune what I want my iPhone to tell me in notification center and I find it confusing. Sites and forums like this have been very helpful!

I'm surprised with battery life on the 5s. I thought I would be desperately charging it mid day and it hasn't happened yet. Not even mid-afternoon, so it is on par with what I had on my Z10. YMMV but with my typical use both the Z10 and now the 5s can carry me for full work day.

What is very irritating is the constant crashes of the springboard. I have to take the iPhone to my carrier and see if I can get a replacement. It may be software related and looks to me crashes are happening when i unlock it with my fingerprint, but I want to get a replacement...
    01-28-2014 10:00 AM
    If you'd read it, you'd see I'm not a geek just because I own an android. I'm a geek no matter what phone I have. I mod it and sometimes even learn how to take it apart (and hopefully put it back together).

That includes Androids, iPhones, Blackberrys and WP8 and....

By the way, no need for the cynicism. Have a nice day. =)
    I read it. Poor choice of words.
    01-28-2014 11:56 AM
    Of course I've been playing with it incessantly! I'll give my Z10 a break because it is sometimes confusing to 'switch' between metaphors for proper use --maybe I'm slow but I'll get there. I kinda miss swiping for every action. And I certainly miss the 'Hub' because I do a lot of email and messaging (bbm, whatsapp, sms) and it is so convenient to have them all in one place vs. jumping from app to app.

I've used iMessages a lot because many friends have iPhones now; I can think of it as the 'new' bbm. All of its advantages seem to be there. I wonder why many people on iPhones use whatsapp so much when iMessages is a better option...

I'm still learning how to fine tune what I want my iPhone to tell me in notification center and I find it confusing. Sites and forums like this have been very helpful!

I'm surprised with battery life on the 5s. I thought I would be desperately charging it mid day and it hasn't happened yet. Not even mid-afternoon, so it is on par with what I had on my Z10. YMMV but with my typical use both the Z10 and now the 5s can carry me for full work day.

What is very irritating is the constant crashes of the springboard. I have to take the iPhone to my carrier and see if I can get a replacement. It may be software related and looks to me crashes are happening when i unlock it with my fingerprint, but I want to get a replacement...
    Maybe it depends on your carrier but if I dont turn off LTE, my battery is done for come mid afternoon (starting my day at 9). I'm in a refarmed T-Mobile LTE area that flipped the LTE switch a couple of years ago and since then they ramped up the speed even more, since then it's been a battery killer. The crashes are getting annoying and I have seen a lot more as of lately. Rumor has it that Apple is working on it and I hope to see that fix real soon.
    01-28-2014 12:00 PM
    Maybe it depends on your carrier but if I dont turn off LTE, my battery is done for come mid afternoon (starting my day at 9). I'm in a refarmed T-Mobile LTE area that flipped the LTE switch a couple of years ago and since then they ramped up the speed even more, since then it's been a battery killer. The crashes are getting annoying and I have seen a lot more as of lately. Rumor has it that Apple is working on it and I hope to see that fix real soon.
    I forgot to mention I turned off LTE. It's not that important to me. I'm on wifi most of the day. Bluetooth on only for an hour a day for commute.
    01-28-2014 12:13 PM

Yes, that's the big difference gestures based OS! Man, so much faster for navigation on. Z10, iOS feels dated by comparison. When u first got the 5s, I kept trying to swipe everything. Apple is slowly introducing gestures, it's kind of smart how they do it , a couple new gestures each release so people get to know them,... Picking up Z10 it's harder learning curve because it's all gestures. But man loads faster to navigate and actually multitask.

01-28-2014 03:26 PM
    All I got from my Z10 was missed calls, browser crashes and superb lag. LOL

For a business, this device is secure. For a consumer though, there are way more solid options.
    My favorite was when my z10 spontaneously rebooted when I was calling emergency services.

That was fun.

As far as this 'have to jailbreak to fully appreciate ios' all I say to that is pish posh. I jail broke my 4 to make it look like what iOS 7 looks like. I jail broke my 5s for a day and restored it back to stock because other than a scrolling dock there was nothing I wanted to tweak. I fully appreciate iOS 7 as it is. I don't see these springboard crashes soluble they are only happening in my pocket or while I'm asleep, but I will say I fully appreciate not having to troll leak forums to try to fix problems with my phone that made it totally unusable and unreliable like my z10 was at times. Even when it was on a stable leak it rebooted at least once a day and the battery lasted 6 hours at best.

I want BB to succeed, they are the only company I've had so many bad experiences with (on behalf of both my customers and my phones) that I gave fourth and fifth chances to, but I'm out. Even Samsung only got two chances from me.

So while I hope BB succeeds from a sentimental standpoint, it will be from the sidelines for me.
    Kashan Osama and mikeo007 like this.
    01-29-2014 06:39 AM
    My favorite was when my z10 spontaneously rebooted when I was calling emergency services.

That was fun.

As far as this 'have to jailbreak to fully appreciate ios' all I say to that is pish posh. I jail broke my 4 to make it look like what iOS 7 looks like. I jail broke my 5s for a day and restored it back to stock because other than a scrolling dock there was nothing I wanted to tweak. I fully appreciate iOS 7 as it is. I don't see these springboard crashes soluble they are only happening in my pocket or while I'm asleep, but I will say I fully appreciate not having to troll leak forums to try to fix problems with my phone that made it totally unusable and unreliable like my z10 was at times. Even when it was on a stable leak it rebooted at least once a day and the battery lasted 6 hours at best.

I want BB to succeed, they are the only company I've had so many bad experiences with (on behalf of both my customers and my phones) that I gave fourth and fifth chances to, but I'm out. Even Samsung only got two chances from me.

So while I hope BB succeeds from a sentimental standpoint, it will be from the sidelines for me.
    Dude bb10 is brand new OS, written from ground up! Go back and time and play with IOS 1.0 was , as I mentioned people have short term memories! You couldn't even mms or copy and paste with it. Those features showed up in 3.0.... IOS 7 is IMHO much less stable than 4,5, and 6. As it stands as a pure Eco system iOS is awesome. As next gen mobile OS I give the nod to bb10, but it's ok it's
    only 1 year old versus 7 years.

Personally I haven't either OS really buggy. But the differences I see is in the full Eco system that iOS provides from iTunes, syncing, backing up, and apps.

01-29-2014 07:29 AM
    1) I'm not a dude, nor am I anyone's dude.

2) random reboots during phone calls (including 911 calls) are unacceptable and the fact you compared that to MMS and copy/paste is silly. Sorry. It isn't even the same class as far as an acceptable bug.
    01-29-2014 07:43 AM
    1) I'm not a dude, nor am I anyone's dude.

2) random reboots during phone calls (including 911 calls) are unacceptable and the fact you compared that to MMS and copy/paste is silly. Sorry. It isn't even the same class as far as an acceptable bug.
    Random reboots are unacceptable period, and the inter webs are full of battery life and reboot problems on iOS 7. That you haven't been effected is irrelevant to the amount of chatter on this topic. Some of the shortcomings in the first iOS were pathetic...I don't care how many units were sold.

For now I'm sticking with apple, I'll give it the same 4 year chance I gave blackberry, but I don't like the way iOS works. Bbos 10 is more my speed.

01-29-2014 08:08 AM
    Dude bb10 is brand new OS, written from ground up! Go back and time and play with IOS 1.0 was , as I mentioned people have short term memories! You couldn't even mms or copy and paste with it. Those features showed up in 3.0.... IOS 7 is IMHO much less stable than 4,5, and 6. As it stands as a pure Eco system iOS is awesome. As next gen mobile OS I give the nod to bb10, but it's ok it's
    only 1 year old versus 7 years.

Personally I haven't either OS really buggy. But the differences I see is in the full Eco system that iOS provides from iTunes, syncing, backing up, and apps.

BB10 is a brand new lousy os. Lousy because it is incomplete. Hopefully they will have something to show at MWC.
    Xm_jdm and mikeo007 like this.
    01-29-2014 12:49 PM
    BB10 is a brand new lousy os. Lousy because it is incomplete. Hopefully they will have something to show at MWC.
    I agree it's incomplete, although I like gestures-for-everything. And I sure hope they come up with something exciting in Barcelona!
    01-29-2014 05:07 PM
    I agree it's incomplete, although I like gestures-for-everything. And I sure hope they come up with something exciting in Barcelona!
    I think it was a pretty first release of a brand new OS. Just personal opinion.
    01-29-2014 05:58 PM
    I just found out there are swipe back gestures in ios7!! For the record I already said I'm a slow learner. This is so nice! Not entirely a hub substitute, but nice.

Today I missed being able to type in two languages without switching keyboards. A hassle indeed but something I can get used to. The fact that different apps retain the last used keyboard kinda helps...

I returned the iphone yesterday because of the springboard restarts and picked up the same phone this morning after a carrier restore. Same problem so far... I guess I'll send it again to get a replacement. I had to use my Z10 yesterday afternoon to keep in touch via wifi with coworkers on BBM and email, as well as risk my life venturing without a working phone for my commute. My Z10 felt so big! The wider screen is nice though, especially for typing.
    01-29-2014 07:09 PM
    The app gap is no more.

I can download about any android app I need, and they all run flawlessly. I have every bank app I could want, games, forums, ect.

The "lack of apps" doesn't work anymore, on reasons to switch from BB to iOS/droid.
    i7guy likes this.
    01-29-2014 09:18 PM
    The app gap is no more.

I can download about any android app I need, and they all run flawlessly. I have every bank app I could want, games, forums, ect.

The "lack of apps" doesn't work anymore, on reasons to switch from BB to iOS/droid.
    Thank you for spewing BS in your first post. Tons of apps don't work, and pirating apps or downloading from shady and unsupported app stores is not a way to close the app gap. Welcome to iMore though, I'm sure your reasons for being here are totally legit.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-29-2014 09:50 PM
    I think it was a pretty first release of a brand new OS. Just personal opinion.
    Too bad it's competing against very well established OS's with huge ecosystems and big players backing them. Being "pretty good" first release clearly wasn't enough in this case.
    I hope that their new CEO starts to focus on SOMETHING. BB10 was so scattered and unfocused. Not good enough or feature rich enough for most consumers, not as good as old Blackberrys for most business users, full of bugs, yet extremely late to release. They tried to go after everyone, and ended up losing on all fronts.
    01-29-2014 10:11 PM
    Too bad it's competing against very well established OS's with huge ecosystems and big players backing them. Being "pretty good" first release clearly wasn't enough in this case.

I hope that their new CEO starts to focus on SOMETHING. BB10 was so scattered and unfocused. Not good enough or feature rich enough for most consumers, not as good as old Blackberrys for most business users, full of bugs, yet extremely late to release. They tried to go after everyone, and ended up losing on all fronts.
    In what way is it not feature reach? The OS pretty dayum beast... From that stand point as an OS Bberry hit a home run, but again having a great product is not the defining factor in sales. And it certainly no more buggy than any other OS, otherwise wouldn't be certified by DoD? The only real complaint which is a time thing is the Eco system isn't mature??? I definitely would not call it scattered, what do you mean?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    01-29-2014 11:37 PM
    Thank you for spewing BS in your first post. Tons of apps don't work, and pirating apps or downloading from shady and unsupported app stores is not a way to close the app gap. Welcome to iMore though, I'm sure your reasons for being here are totally legit.
    What are you talking about bb10 has an App Store? Also, the android App Store is an app in bb10, and allows direct install of android ports as if 10.2. As for unsupported apps that's no different than jail breaking and loading non official apps. The android loading is a purposeful feature , it isn't a hack. Expressly built into the OS by berry. Think of it like apples support of windows using parallels, but it's for more closely integrated and not an emulation.

Last edited by acadia11; 01-29-2014 at 11:54 PM.
    retomex likes this.
    01-29-2014 11:43 PM
    At least you can pick and chose which shady apps to download. Certainly not inside of a walled garden. And talk about spewing bs. Sheesh.
    01-29-2014 11:44 PM
    What is incomplete about the OS itself, people I. Here keep saying, there isn't a feature you can do in IOS that you can't do in bb10, in fact, I would say OS wise bb10 has more features. Incomplete would have been something like iOS 1.0 which didn't allow mms, didn't allow cut and paste, didn't have search feature.... Why do people keep saying bb10 is incomplete bb10 is far from lacking in features, especially 10.2.... Honestly , have any if you commenting used the OS, read any of the feature specs, done anymore of comparisons... Yes there is plenty to complain about bb10 but the stuff I'm hearing is really offbase and seems to lack genuine investigation??? A lack of features that's certainly not the case.

01-29-2014 11:52 PM
    People are saying BB10 is incomplete because it just doesn't give a complete experience. While certain features may work flawlessly, as a whole, the bugs make it appear fractured. Having owned one, done side loading, and cracked releases, I just couldn't deal with the serious issues. I did not like the reboots, on a blackberry it takes forever to restart. I do not like having to pretty much wipe the phone when the browser decides to stop working (BB server issues). I also was very worried when the phone wouldn't ring or I'd miss a call due to it making a sound that's one third of my ringtone. It also felt like BB wasn't even supporting it's users on the consumer end anymore.

On another note, I saw someone state that jailbreaking iOS to make it complete is bull hockey. I felt iOS was incomplete to me because I'm used to the customization abilities of an Android. That wasn't directed as a fact, merely my opinion. My iPhone is stable and works perfectly. I only jailbroke it because I'd wanted more control over my visual kei! =)
    taz323 likes this.
    01-30-2014 05:33 AM
    People are saying BB10 is incomplete because it just doesn't give a complete experience. While certain features may work flawlessly, as a whole, the bugs make it appear fractured. Having owned one, done side loading, and cracked releases, I just couldn't deal with the serious issues. I did not like the reboots, on a blackberry it takes forever to restart. I do not like having to pretty much wipe the phone when the browser decides to stop working (BB server issues). I also was very worried when the phone wouldn't ring or I'd miss a call due to it making a sound that's one third of my ringtone. It also felt like BB wasn't even supporting it's users on the consumer end anymore.

On another note, I saw someone state that jailbreaking iOS to make it complete is bull hockey. I felt iOS was incomplete to me because I'm used to the customization abilities of an Android. That wasn't directed as a fact, merely my opinion. My iPhone is stable and works perfectly. I only jailbroke it because I'd wanted more control over my visual kei! =)
    I don't know what version you were using but for sure reboots etc have Been addressed months ago... With that said I can comb these forums and find just as many complaints of iOS 7. But no one is stating iOS 7 is complete because of it.... Didn't you notice the huge thread of I hope iOS 7.0.5 fixes the random reboots???

I personally find both crash about the same my 5s and. Z10, actually iOS 7 seems pretty flaky , we browser crashes often, apps close often, etccc .... But this stuff to me is the nature of software. It's just interesting that such an event on bb10 people state the OS incomplete while not harboring the same feeling in iOS when based on just going through the threads here it's seems equally as buggy???

01-30-2014 06:51 AM
    What is incomplete about the OS itself, people I. Here keep saying, there isn't a feature you can do in IOS that you can't do in bb10, in fact, I would say OS wise bb10 has more features. Incomplete would have been something like iOS 1.0 which didn't allow mms, didn't allow cut and paste, didn't have search feature.... Why do people keep saying bb10 is incomplete bb10 is far from lacking in features, especially 10.2.... Honestly , have any if you commenting used the OS, read any of the feature specs, done anymore of comparisons... Yes there is plenty to complain about bb10 but the stuff I'm hearing is really offbase and seems to lack genuine investigation??? A lack of features that's certainly not the case.

You just said, up until 10.2 things started to improve. At 10.2.1 much better. I never complained about the lack of apps and i didn't even need to sideload android apps. My Z10 works great, I think it's easier sharing almost any file on BBOS10 than on iOS. But many people are just upgrading to 10.2.1 so they can just begin to notice the many things they've missed. T-mo users? No luck yet. Telcel (mexico)? Pfft, they'll never push it...

I still thank Thor for pushing BBOS10 out of the gate, and in its first year the os improved a lot. I hope Chen does a better job of pushing blackberry to more users. And the work on bbos doesn't stop. All of the functionality may be there already but it still needs polishing.
    Last edited by retomex; 01-30-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Redacted
    01-30-2014 06:55 AM
    I don't know what version you were using but for sure reboots etc have Been addressed months ago... With that said I can comb these forums and find just as many complaints of iOS 7. But no one is stating iOS 7 is complete because of it.... Didn't you notice the huge thread of I hope iOS 7.0.5 fixes the random reboots???

I personally find both crash about the same my 5s and. Z10, actually iOS 7 seems pretty flaky , we browser crashes often, apps close often, etccc .... But this stuff to me is the nature of software. It's just interesting that such an event on bb10 people state the OS incomplete while not harboring the same feeling in iOS when based on just going through the threads here it's seems equally as buggy???

Exactly, other than lack of customization, random crashes and reboots IOS 7 is heads and heels above BBOS. Riiiiight.

01-30-2014 07:38 AM
    At least you can pick and chose which shady apps to download. Certainly not inside of a walled garden. And talk about spewing bs. Sheesh.
    The fact that you even acknowledge that users need to hunt through shady app stores shows the problem. iOS App Store has the highest quality for a reason. It's vetted and users trust it. Sorry, but sideloading apps might be a solution for the few folks who already use blackberry, but it won't suddenly make other folks start caring or believing that they can suddenly get any app they want.
    01-30-2014 08:02 AM
280 ... 678910 ...