I find it funny that I came across this thread. For the past two weeks or so, I've been researching the iPhone 5c & 5s. I'm this ---- close to getting one. But, still on the fence. My main reason for wanting to switch from my Z10 to an iPhone, is for the simplicity of using an iPhone and my iPad Mini. Yes, I would be sort of 'locked' to an ecosystem of sorts, but...

I wanted to make a switch before the year was out, thus start 2014 with a new device\OS. Anyway, time will tell.

I will say this, I don't communicate/get notifications as much as I used to years ago, so the BlackBerry Hub is now not a must have for me. But, the red notification light, well, that is another story!
    tderouchie likes this.
    12-31-2013 07:45 AM
    My old storm 2 and iPad were a perfect combo. I know now why people jailbreak these iPhones, to get functionality that is built into a blackberry since before the first iPhone. That blinking notification light, I miss it.

The jury a still out for me on the iPhone, still in the getting to know you stage.
    12-31-2013 07:58 AM
    I've had every BlackBerry ever.

Started with the 850 and 857 two way pagers. Then it was the following:

7500 (first color)
    8120 Pearl in 2006
    8330 Curve in 2007
    8230 Pearl Flip in 2008
    8910 Curve in 2009
    9860 Torch 2010
    9650 Bold 2011
    9930 Bold 2012
    Z10 2013
    Q10 2013
    Z30 2013

Swore I'd never switch to an iPhone. Well, we got iPhones at work and it didn't take long to make the switch for my personal phone. The Z10 is great and the Z30 is even better. But it goes way beyond the keyboard and camera when comparing Apple to BlackBerry. Do you use other Apple products like iPad, MacBook, etc cause then there's iTunes Match and the iCloud. Additionally, Apple has had 6 year head start in a "consumer" ecosystem versus BlackBerry's "prosumer" ecosystem.

Again BlackBerry is AMAZING and I'm not bashing them, just saying go with the iPhone...

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly
    anon(153966) and Spencerdl like this.
    12-31-2013 07:19 PM
    I've had every BlackBerry ever.

Started with the 850 and 857 two way pagers. Then it was the following:

7500 (first color)
    8120 Pearl in 2006
    8330 Curve in 2007
    8230 Pearl Flip in 2008
    8910 Curve in 2009
    9860 Torch 2010
    9650 Bold 2011
    9930 Bold 2012
    Z10 2013
    Q10 2013
    Z30 2013

Swore I'd never switch to an iPhone. Well, we got iPhones at work and it didn't take long to make the switch for my personal phone. The Z10 is great and the Z30 is even better. But it goes way beyond the keyboard and camera when comparing Apple to BlackBerry. Do you use other Apple products like iPad, MacBook, etc cause then there's iTunes Match and the iCloud. Additionally, Apple has had 6 year head start in a "consumer" ecosystem versus BlackBerry's "prosumer" ecosystem.

Again BlackBerry is AMAZING and I'm not bashing them, just saying go with the iPhone...

Sent from my iPhone 5s on VZW from Philly
    A nice breakdown...
    12-31-2013 09:55 PM
    But, the red notification light, well, that is another story!
    It can be overcome.
    anon(153966) and Coachbulldog like this.
    12-31-2013 10:02 PM
    I find it funny that I came across this thread. For the past two weeks or so, I've been researching the iPhone 5c & 5s. I'm this ---- close to getting one. But, still on the fence. My main reason for wanting to switch from my Z10 to an iPhone, is for the simplicity of using an iPhone and my iPad Mini. Yes, I would be sort of 'locked' to an ecosystem of sorts, but...

I wanted to make a switch before the year was out, thus start 2014 with a new device\OS. Anyway, time will tell.

I will say this, I don't communicate/get notifications as much as I used to years ago, so the BlackBerry Hub is now not a must have for me. But, the red notification light, well, that is another story!
    You can flash the camera LED for messages if you want. It's white though, not quite as festive as the blackberry LED.
    anon(153966) and Darryl Brian like this.
    12-31-2013 10:11 PM
    I have. Z10 is an ok phone and the BB10 was fine. It was the lack of apps that made me move the the iPhone 5S. And I didn't want to do any side loading of android apps either.
    Spencerdl and Frehley like this.
    01-01-2014 10:09 AM
    I have a Z10 and a Z30 and love them both. I bought my 2 kids,wife and myself iPad minis for Christmas this year and have to say I do like them a lot. I'm not trolling. I think the blackberry 10 is a far superior device.

Apple could be the best device out there but I have my complaints. no expandable memory, non standardized cables and accessories, and iTunes and the iTunes Store. These are what bug me the most. it is a fast no bull device, it has all the apps, it's quick the battery last, it looks good etc.
    01-01-2014 10:52 AM
    New Year, new device

Z10 to iphone5s?-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1388602698.314449.jpg
    01-01-2014 01:58 PM
    New Year, new device

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1388602698.314449.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	45243
    Congrats!
    anon(153966) likes this.
    01-01-2014 03:04 PM
    New Year, new device

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1388602698.314449.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	45243
    Congrats!
    anon(153966) likes this.
    01-01-2014 04:06 PM
    Yeah the z10 battery was well known for being far crappier than the q. I did have a couple of the random discharges though. Good times.
    Craziness...wasn't even using the phone during these "drain" periods.

I know battery life is a very personal thing and differs greatly between users, but I expect consistency at the very least.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-03-2014 10:15 PM
    The Z10 keyboard is good.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-05-2014 03:36 PM
    I have both phones, I personally think bb10 OS is best mobile one I've used, in terms of productivity it can't be beat, the 5s is easier to pickup and just use since it's button based, however bb10 actually has managed to do multitasking on mobile device , peek and hub isn't something you think about until you use your 5s and have yo leave an app to read the messages. Gesture based OS are more difficult to use but will be norm in future as it actually allows for multitasking, that being said I like my 5s as well, the app maturity is big difference.

It's a shame BB has had such bad press lately as it really did get bb10 right, and with app support, we'd have a healthy competition in mobile space.
    Spencerdl and Blomsternisse like this.
    01-05-2014 08:13 PM
    I have both phones, I personally think bb10 OS is best mobile one I've used, in terms of productivity it can't be beat, the 5s is easier to pickup and just use since it's button based, however bb10 actually has managed to do multitasking on mobile device , peek and hub isn't something you think about until you use your 5s and have yo leave an app to read the messages. Gesture based OS are more difficult to use but will be norm in future as it actually allows for multitasking, that being said I like my 5s as well, the app maturity is big difference.

It's a shame BB has had such bad press lately as it really did get bb10 right, and with app support, we'd have a healthy competition in mobile space.
    Absolutely, the z30 is really nice...just too big for me, which is why I got the iphone.
    01-05-2014 10:53 PM
    I'm here to say, my story of switching from a Z10 to an iPhone 5s GOLD was short lived. It was actually only 5 days (1st Jan to 5th Jan). The iPhone and iOS is a great device, it is a pick up and go/use device, no question about it. But, I bought the unit without contract ($700+) and to be honest, I just couldn't justify the cost of it. It didn't wow me to keep it, so...

I'm back on my Z10, for now. I guess, like other BlackBerry users, I'll just wait for the Z30, if it in fact is ever released with AT&T. I will say this, with the release (albeit still leaked) 10.2.1 or higher OS, one can simply install apk files for certain apps that are not in the official BlackBerry World market.

I've noticed that this is my third or fourth attempt to get back into using just an iPhone as my primary smartphone, and again it has failed. I'm beginning to think I'm a BlackBerry user through, and through, in addition to me really liking the use of gestures on BB10. I certainly prefer it to using a 'home button'.
    01-06-2014 08:04 AM
    I'm here to say, my story of switching from a Z10 to an iPhone 5s GOLD was short lived. It was actually only 5 days (1st Jan to 5th Jan). The iPhone and iOS is a great device, it is a pick up and go/use device, no question about it. But, I bought the unit without contract ($700+) and to be honest, I just couldn't justify the cost of it. It didn't wow me to keep it, so...

I'm back on my Z10, for now. I guess, like other BlackBerry users, I'll just wait for the Z30, if it in fact is ever released with AT&T. I will say this, with the release (albeit still leaked) 10.2.1 or higher OS, one can simply install apk files for certain apps that are not in the official BlackBerry World market.

I've noticed that this is my third or fourth attempt to get back into using just an iPhone as my primary smartphone, and again it has failed. I'm beginning to think I'm a BlackBerry user through, and through, in addition to me really liking the use of gestures on BB10. I certainly prefer it to using a 'home button'.
    Enjoy the Z10, thats why I kept mine and got rid of my Android in lieu of the iPhone
    01-06-2014 09:04 AM
    I have the z10 and iphone 5C. Was a long time iphone user from 3G to 5 (had every single one of them). When I had the opp to try z10, I jumped bc, honestly, iOS just got kind of stale and boring for me. Had both Z10 and Q10 and still think BB10 is the best mobile OS I've used (and I've used them all). It's efficient and multi-tasks well. Z10 screen and keyboard are awesome. I only came back to the 5C bc work stopped supporting BB10. I have to say that iOS's integration with everything has been great. I've got a jawbone up24 and Pebble connected to my phone with very little work. That part has been nice, but I miss the keyboard and the multi-tasking abilities of the Z10. I'm now looking to get my hands on a 5S so I can have the improved camera, as I take a lot of pics.
    01-06-2014 09:26 AM
    so you're saying it all comes down between a keyboard and a camera? It seems like a keyboard would be more important then.
    The keyboard might be more important than a camera to some but you're wrong to imply that it is a universal fact. I have six grandchildren with two more on the way and the quality of the camera on my phone is by far more important to me. It does not matter to me, and if sales figures are an indication it doesn't matter to millions of others either, the Z10 has a superior keyboard. The camera, FaceTime, being able to sync with my other Apple devices, and the availability of apps more than make up for the perceived edge the Z10 keyboard provides.

This is where the BlackBerry fans will give the "primary purpose of phone is a communication device" response. My answer to that is this, I've had two iPhones now and I've never missed an email, text message, or phone call. My iPhone is a solid communication device.
    anon(73368) and CardsFan314 like this.
    01-06-2014 10:56 AM
    My old storm 2 and iPad were a perfect combo. I know now why people jailbreak these iPhones, to get functionality that is built into a blackberry since before the first iPhone. That blinking notification light, I miss it.

The jury a still out for me on the iPhone, still in the getting to know you stage.
    Oh my. The Storm was a terrible device.
    01-06-2014 04:00 PM
    I keep telling people that bb10 is the best mobile OS on market, gestures based OS is harder to learn, but since it doesn't rely on buttons you can actually use it to do multitasking , ie check messages while in another app!!! I have iphone 5s as well and I actually notice this feature is missing when I've got to leave my current app and go to message app to read my notification, something I don't have to on bb10.

The short of it blackberry got the product right , it's a shame so few no how great the new OS and new phones are. Or atleast tried them. Bberry marketing and mind share is atrocious , maybe the new management will fix it , because the product is great ... Obviously the ecosystem maturity is squarely in apples favor link suc big time compared to iTunes!! And apps are more mature on iOS as developers are learning the QNX dev kits that bb10 is based on not to mention , app deva sitting on sideline waiting to see if it's worth building a native app for them. All in all, since I own both phones I can say both are pretty darn good at what they do best. PS I just used talk to typeon 5s to write this which actually one feature that is useful that's easier to do on the 5s vs z10. Hands down though z10 virtual keyboard is much better.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    01-06-2014 05:34 PM

Just to set it straight I agree Gestures will be the future and iOS is starting to implement it across the board.

But it was webOS that first brought true Multitasking to the Mobile OS!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    01-07-2014 11:27 AM
    Never said BB invented gestures based OS concept, no more than apple invented touch screen cell phones, or Palm for that matter.

I said simply put BB10 is the best mobile OS I've used thus far,in terms of navigation and productivity and integration of multitasking features. Peek and hub are certainly BB inventions though or rather evolutions of the fact that multitasking on a mobile device is difficult to do, do to the lack of real estate.
    kataran likes this.
    01-07-2014 12:22 PM
    Never said BB invented gestures based OS concept, no more than apple invented touch screen cell phones, or Palm for that matter.

I said simply put BB10 is the best mobile OS I've used thus far,in terms of navigation and productivity and integration of multitasking features. Peek and hub are certainly BB inventions though or rather evolutions of the fact that multitasking on a mobile device is difficult to do, do to the lack of real estate.
    I'd have to agree. BB10 devices are productivity, multi-tasking monsters! I'm sad that BB waited so long and fear they may be too late to the game. Would be nice to have some true competition for iOS and Android.
    01-07-2014 05:31 PM
    Useful, productive apps or games and stuff?? Just curious...

I have. Z10 is an ok phone and the BB10 was fine. It was the lack of apps that made me move the the iPhone 5S. And I didn't want to do any side loading of android apps either.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    01-07-2014 08:34 PM
280 12345 ...