With 10.2.1 and above, BB now supports headless apps. This should help resolve one of the major issues with the OS, where only 8 apps could be active at one time.

Hopefully, this should help spur development for the platform but I'm concerned that it may a little too late. The company has an uncertain future and many BB diehards are now moving to Android or iOS.
    Might have to make a return. Loved the OS but those were annoyances
    12-23-2013 08:52 PM
    I have. The blackberry Z10 is a great phone with a gorgeous OS - I can see it becoming a top competitor if it gets a load more apps on it. But the main issue is the apps themselves (more specifically, the lack of apps) and Apple has a vast App Store compared to it. The fluidity of the OS is amazing, the gestures just work. I switched to Apple and never regretted it...

Sent from my silver iPhone 5s
    12-24-2013 05:30 AM
    I'm still debating if I like the iPhone. The just works mantra is overrated because it doesn't work with me.

I have played extensively with os 10. It is nice. I would have gotten the z30 but too big.

How many non native apps do you use on a daily basis? Other than one newspaper app and one news app and navigation nothing else. Yet I have about 30 apps installed.
    12-24-2013 06:06 AM
    I'm still debating if I like the iPhone. The just works mantra is overrated because it doesn't work with me.

I have played extensively with os 10. It is nice. I would have gotten the z30 but too big.

How many non native apps do you use on a daily basis? Other than one newspaper app and one news app and navigation nothing else. Yet I have about 30 apps installed.
    I have to agree to a point. I couldn't get yellow pages app to work (which I use a lot) or Directv app or even candy crush or CSR racing. I don't play a lot of games but I do have my favorites and I like to have them actually work. I do have a lot of apps that I don't use much so I have to agree to a point. Never could the HP eprint app to work either. I enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling I get just knowing my apps work and are there when I get ready to use them.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app
    12-24-2013 10:53 PM
    I have to agree to a point. I couldn't get yellow pages app to work (which I use a lot) or Directv app or even candy crush or CSR racing. I don't play a lot of games but I do have my favorites and I like to have them actually work. I do have a lot of apps that I don't use much so I have to agree to a point. Never could the HP eprint app to work either. I enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling I get just knowing my apps work and are there when I get ready to use them.

Speak about printing, i don't have any native air print printers..would be nice.
    12-25-2013 12:11 AM
    I have had both devices. If the Z10 had the app support that apple does I think it would be a very worthy competitor.
    Spencerdl and anon(153966) like this.
    12-25-2013 03:42 AM
    I just recently shifted to iPhone 4S from my Z10 .quite handy this phone is and I quite like it but I do miss the Z10.
    12-25-2013 04:41 AM
    Has anyone gone from Z10 to iphone5s or vice versa? What's your experience and input on it? I'm just curious. Thanks
    What's a Z10?
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    12-25-2013 12:11 PM
    What's a Z10?
    A z10 is the first blackberry with os 10. BBOS is more customizable than iOS, people I know who haves z10 really like it. The virtual keyboard is excellent and is way better than iOS keyboard. IMO.
    Xm_jdm and Blomsternisse like this.
    12-25-2013 02:09 PM
    A z10 is the first blackberry with os 10. BBOS is more customizable than iOS, people I know who haves z10 really like it. The virtual keyboard is excellent and is way better than iOS keyboard. IMO.
    I know. I was just kidding.
    12-25-2013 02:55 PM
    Coming from a z10 next Friday but don't know how I feel as I love my z10, but going to see how it goes with 5s will keep u posted
    12-25-2013 04:00 PM
    I came back to Apple from a Z10. I loved the Hub and the keyboard but the battery life was horrible and my data usage almost doubled on the z10. The iPhone 5s just works. The zed 10 had to be reset often and the lack of apps got old really fast. I even side loaded a lot of apps but they didn't work as well in most cases.

Not to go to far off-topic, friends who have z10 are more than satisfied with battery life. Like the battery life thread on the 5s, for whatever reason it's variable on the z10 as well. A lot of friends have android or ipad or ultra-thins as a companion device anyway.
    12-25-2013 04:48 PM
    I know. I was just kidding.
    You should've put a little sarcastic :-) on the post so we all know LOL
    12-25-2013 06:25 PM
    Not to go to far off-topic, friends who have z10 are more than satisfied with battery life. Like the battery life thread on the 5s, for whatever reason it's variable on the z10 as well. A lot of friends have android or ipad or ultra-thins as a companion device anyway.
    I must add that although I have used the Z10 and got okay battery life on it, I still would rather have a Galaxy s4 for instance and got better piece of mind with a better battery. The battery life on the Z10 is okay, but not fantastic by any means.
    12-25-2013 07:27 PM
    I must add that although I have used the Z10 and got okay battery life on it, I still would rather have a Galaxy s4 for instance and got better piece of mind with a better battery. The battery life on the Z10 is okay, but not fantastic by any means.
    Agreed. The Z10 was the only phone I carried an extra battery for and actually had to use it. I haven't done that since the 9900.
    12-26-2013 06:37 AM
    I tried the z10 for a day (I lost my iPhone 5 so seemed like a good time).

The browser was very fast--impressive. Especially since I have a playbook that I got cheap and its browser is way slower than this one. Since my iPhone was lost (and then stolen), I could not compare browser speeds with iPhone but I am sure you can find tests on the web.

Coming from a webOS device, I appreciated the gestures instead of a physical home button although it took some time to figure my way around the device.
    I liked also the fact that I could swap batteries.

I could see that putting all the email and twitter social messages into the hub could be useful if I used all those ways to communicate as it would be really fast to reply. Since I only use a few of those avenues to communicate I did not need the hub and in fact it seemed cluttered to me.

I am for having alternatives to iPhone other than android so I would consider this as a second phone. I am not crazy though, about android apps as they are indiscriminate in the way they ask for permissions (a wallpaper app needs access to messages and web history really???). The most attractive thing may be the famed Blackberry security so that would limit one mostly to the blackberry apps.

I am also unsure about the fate of the OS since less than 5 million phones were sold and it seems like the older OS is selling more phones. Blackberry recently announced that they were outsourcing their phones to Foxconn rather than producing themselves so they will turn solely into a software company. I am not sure if the Foxconn phones would be the older or new OS although there seems to be software leaks for the new OS still coming on the site. Verizon notoriously slow in updating software so they are at least one iteration behind and I imagine there is not a lot of incentive for them to test the new software iterations since the user base is small although one encouraging thing is that Verizon is the carrier who is carrying the latest z30 device that came out in the fall.

I would buy one as a second device.
    blambtn likes this.
    12-27-2013 03:24 AM
    Agreed. The Z10 was the only phone I carried an extra battery for and actually had to use it. I haven't done that since the 9900.
    I have a mophie case for my iPhone 5s, what does that say? If I didn't gave the mophie I would have some other external battery. I can't trust this phone to have juice when I really need it. With the mophie I can get a good 5+ hours on the phone if I need it.
    12-27-2013 08:32 AM
    The battery life on my Q10 is horrible as well. Not because it necessarily dies quickly through day-to-day use, but because it will sometimes randomly decide to completely discharge over a couple of hours while the phone is idle. If it weren't for major flaws like that in (I assume) the OS, then I think the battery life would be ok.
    12-27-2013 10:17 AM
    I have a mophie case for my iPhone 5s, what does that say? If I didn't gave the mophie I would have some other external battery. I can't trust this phone to have juice when I really need it. With the mophie I can get a good 5+ hours on the phone if I need it.
    I regularly GET a good 5+ hours of screen time on it and have never needed a mophie case, so I don't seem to have that problem. Don't have anything turned off other than the plethora of location system services that most do. All my apps have background on. 50% screen brightness...
    blambtn and tack like this.
    12-27-2013 10:48 AM
    The battery life on my Q10 is horrible as well. Not because it necessarily dies quickly through day-to-day use, but because it will sometimes randomly decide to completely discharge over a couple of hours while the phone is idle. If it weren't for major flaws like that in (I assume) the OS, then I think the battery life would be ok.
    Yeah the z10 battery was well known for being far crappier than the q. I did have a couple of the random discharges though. Good times.
    blambtn and tack like this.
    12-27-2013 10:49 AM
    I regularly GET a good 5+ hours of screen time on it and have never needed a mophie case, so I don't seem to have that problem. Don't have anything turned off other than the plethora of location system services that most do. All my apps have background on. 50% screen brightness...
    Thats the thing, the 5s battery life threads have been all over place. Everywhere from 2 to 10 hours on a charge, it's crazy. Im in the 5 hours of usage. I do not believe in using the iphone as a dumb device and turning everything off. So I have what i want enabled. Screen brightness i do have about 30%.
    reeneebob and blambtn like this.
    12-27-2013 11:00 AM
    I just switched from the Z10 to the iPhone 5S and I miss how fluid the Z10 OS was. Phone quality (hi-def) and browsing (especially videos) were much better on the Z10. I loved the BB hub and the 5S keyboard can't even compare to the Z10. It is much easier and faster to switch in and out of apps on the Z10, I am still not used to the iPhone home button (it really gets annoying). I just found the Z10 much easier to use and more efficient. However, as others have mentioned the battery life was horrible. The phone would generally die half way through the day and I had to constantly charge it. Also, no apps. The reason I switched to the iPhone was for an app I needed which BB didn't offer. One other feature on the IPhone that I like is the blocking of phone numbers. If blackberry had the app I needed I would definitely switch back to the Z30.

Cheers
    i7guy and blambtn like this.
    12-27-2013 11:20 PM
    Thats the thing, the 5s battery life threads have been all over place. Everywhere from 2 to 10 hours on a charge, it's crazy. Im in the 5 hours of usage. I do not believe in using the iphone as a dumb device and turning everything off. So I have what i want enabled. Screen brightness i do have about 30%.
    I have location enabled for every app and screen brightness around 70% and as long as I have 4g service, the battery is great for me. It drained really fast on me one time but I was on it constantly for about 5 hours and I had poor service.

12-28-2013 03:15 PM
    Just today I paid an ETF for my Q10. I love the 5S, and I also loved the Q10, however the dearth of apps killed it for me. Local Banking, News, etc. Just too few to keep me happy. It is amazing that OS10 doesn't even have a simple Banking App.

I think Apple machines are excellent.
    blambtn likes this.
    12-28-2013 10:13 PM
    I found BlackBerry 10 OS to be well designed for efficiency in use and to be very communications-centric. The gesture navigation (once you learn it) makes easy to zip around the OS. The virtual keyboard is one of the best I've used. The Hub is the one thing I miss most when I'm not using my Z10. The app catalog, like many have mentioned, is not great. Even if you're not a heavy app user, there may come a time in the future that there will be an app that you want or need. Chances are, it will be developed and be on iOS first. BlackBerry at this point, is not on the radar for many devs. (There is a way to load Android apps on to BB10, but not everyone will want to get into that.) From a hardware perspective, the Z10 is solidly built, nice in an unassuming and understated way. The specs are at this point mid-range at best, but still perfectly adequate to run BB10 and the apps that are available. The camera is generally good - not the best I've seen, but there are definitely a lot worse out there. The option for expandable memory is to have, but depending on someone's useage, they may not even need it. Even then, it's only good for unloading your media, pictures and documents...apps can only be installed onto the on board 16gb.

For an email and messaging heavy user who doesn't require a lot of apps, the Z10 is a pretty good choice. Messaging, communication, and efficiency have always been BlackBerry's bread and butter, and for the most part, it still is. But it is not nearly as well rounded a smartphone as an iPhone, or even Android devices are at this point.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    12-29-2013 01:44 AM
280 1234 ...