So I just bought my wife the 5c for 27.00 bucks at Walmart. They also have the 5s for 119.00. I was not a big fan of iOS 7 up until I got to play with her 5c. I have 7 on my mini, but still running 6 on my 4s.

I think the speed of the 5c running 7 is what might have changed my mind about 7.

So I have 2 options:

1) upgrade to 7 on my 4s (not sure I want to upgrade device just yet)
    2) upgrade to 5s for a ridiculous cheap price

So hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

FYI, had the 4s from original date and still not bored with it and never upgraded my device yet with AT&T.
    12-17-2013 06:09 PM
    Based on everything I've read ios7 on anything older than the 5 really slows down the phone. Again this is based on reading many forums on the subject. Once you upgrade there's no going back so choose wisely. If were me and you wanted the iPhone 5s go for it but weigh all your options pros and cons.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro
    12-17-2013 06:14 PM
    I would recommend the 5S. Just because the A7 makes it future proof. I don't think the 5S is going to get cheaper than this before the iPhone 6 is released. On anything older than an iPhone 5, iOS 7 tends to become slow. Remember that it's your choice and that you should do what makes you happy.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-17-2013 06:17 PM
    So I just bought my wife the 5c for 27.00 bucks at Walmart. They also have the 5s for 119.00. I was not a big fan of iOS 7 up until I got to play with her 5c. I have 7 on my mini, but still running 6 on my 4s.

I think the speed of the 5c running 7 is what might have changed my mind about 7.

So I have 2 options:

So hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

FYI, had the 4s from original date and still not bored with it and never upgraded my device yet with AT&T.
    If your 4S is jailbroken I would say no to updating but can tell you that iOS 8 will not run well and apps are starting to require iOS 7 now. If you can hold out for another year I would do that and get one near launch day but the 5S at $119 is tempting...

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-17-2013 06:24 PM
    I did not upgrade my 4s because of slowness and design, my mini feels ancient with 7.

I don't mind spending the money on the 5s and would most likely enjoy it with 7. I bought my 4s outright 3 years ago and have been "holding out" for a phone I really want to waste an upgrade on. But it's been 3 years, I don't care for android much, was a blackberry fan but their available devices have cameras not as good as the 5s (cameras important), and windows phone seems awesome, but not on par with what I am now accustomed too.

With all that said, it's like I should def just do the upgrade and stop "holding out" for some other device. The only possible one would be uBuntu next year.
    12-17-2013 06:28 PM
    I did not upgrade my 4s because of slowness and design, my mini feels ancient with 7.

I don't mind spending the money on the 5s and would most likely enjoy it with 7. I bought my 4s outright 3 years ago and have been "holding out" for a phone I really want to waste an upgrade on. But it's been 3 years, I don't care for android much, was a blackberry fan but their available devices have cameras not as good as the 5s (cameras important), and windows phone seems awesome, but not on par with what I am now accustomed too.

With all that said, it's like I should def just do the upgrade and stop "holding out" for some other device. The only possible one would be uBuntu next year.
    I would hold out for the Ubuntu phone but that's just me

12-17-2013 06:34 PM
    The thing with the uBuntu phone is we don't know when it's gonna hit US and what specs it will have. It will most likely be an open source platform like android, but I prefer a closed garden like iOS.

I am at the point where I would like a different device (surprised I made it this long with the 4s) and I am comfortable with iOS and how it works. Plus, from what I read, the 5s has the best camera hands down and that is extremely important.
    12-17-2013 06:49 PM

So I have 2 options:

So… hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

If you are still content with your 4S, then the only choice you have is to upgrade it to iOS 7 or not. If Apple stays true to form with the iPhone, you have approximately 9 months before the introduction of the next iPhone. That statement is not concrete and I have no evidence to back that claim. Personally, I'd upgrade the 4S and see how it performs. If it performs to your liking then great, if not, you can then decide if you want to upgrade to the 5S or ride it out until the next iPhone is released.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-17-2013 07:02 PM
    The thing with the uBuntu phone is we don't know when it's gonna hit US and what specs it will have. It will most likely be an open source platform like android, but I prefer a closed garden like iOS.

I am at the point where I would like a different device (surprised I made it this long with the 4s) and I am comfortable with iOS and how it works. Plus, from what I read, the 5s has the best camera hands down and that is extremely important.
    I've had the 4S and 5S and I can say that the only time I've noticed a difference with the camera is in low light, in daylight I see no difference in quality with taking pics. The other features of the 5S are slo-mo, burst mode and auto exposure adjusting while taking panos might be the difference though in terms of camera use.

I'm thinking of getting the Ubuntu phone when it comes out cause it is what I want in a phone

12-17-2013 07:05 PM
    First, let me say that I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on my 4S without any problems and no lag at all. There is no difference from iOS 6 for me. The same is true on my daughter and son's 4S's. If you're not sure about upgrading your 4S, I would go with the 5S. Good luck.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    12-17-2013 07:37 PM
    Changed the thread title to ask the question more immediate and clearly
    12-17-2013 07:43 PM
    If you are still content with your 4S, then the only choice you have is to upgrade it to iOS 7 or not. If Apple stays true to form with the iPhone, you have approximately 9 months before the introduction of the next iPhone. That statement is not concrete and I have no evidence to back that claim. Personally, I'd upgrade the 4S and see how it performs. If it performs to your liking then great, if not, you can then decide if you want to upgrade to the 5S or ride it out until the next iPhone is released.
    I really don't want to wait it out anymore, so I might as well upgrade the 4s for I have an upgrade anyway.

First, let me say that I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on my 4S without any problems and no lag at all. There is no difference from iOS 6 for me. The same is true on my daughter and son's 4S's. If you're not sure about upgrading your 4S, I would go with the 5S. Good luck.
    Thanks for heads up. Not all devices are the same as we all know, but I appreciate the confidence.

Changed the thread title to ask the question more immediate and clearly
    Thank You!
    pr1nce likes this.
    12-17-2013 08:04 PM
    I've had the 4S and 5S and I can say that the only time I've noticed a difference with the camera is in low light, in daylight I see no difference in quality with taking pics. The other features of the 5S are slo-mo, burst mode and auto exposure adjusting while taking panos might be the difference though in terms of camera use.
    Well, low light is pretty bad on the 4s, so for the upgrade price at 119, it might not be a bad idea.
    12-17-2013 08:06 PM
    Well, low light is pretty bad on the 4s, so for the upgrade price at 119, it might not be a bad idea.
    Here's a low light photo I took on the 5S:

Upgrade to 5S for a good price or just upgrade to iOS 7 on my 4S?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1387328996.525078.jpg

12-17-2013 08:10 PM
    I second this, iOS 7 ran good on my 4S when I had it

12-17-2013 08:11 PM
    I second this, iOS 7 ran good on my 4S when I had it
    Thanks, thanks for the photo. Would you say that is a good/bad low light photo for a camera on a phone?
    12-17-2013 08:19 PM
    Thanks, thanks for the photo. Would you say that is a good/bad low light photo for a camera on a phone?
    Given the lighting conditions I would say really good but I haven't used other phones like the lumia 1020 so I can't really say but compared to the 4S it's way better.

12-17-2013 08:25 PM
    ah ok, tough me for to compare that same photo with a 4s photo, hence the question. So again this is now coming back to JUST UPGRADE DEVICE for better photos, upgrade software for a change of scenery.
    12-17-2013 08:29 PM
    ah ok, tough me for to compare that same photo with a 4s photo, hence the question. So again this is now coming back to JUST UPGRADE DEVICE for better photos, upgrade software for a change of scenery.
    Plus the 5S has LTE...

And remember you get these 5 apps for free when you get the 5S

Upgrade to 5S for a good price or just upgrade to iOS 7 on my 4S?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1387330377.257568.jpg

kilen71 and iOS Gravity like this.
    12-17-2013 08:33 PM
    LTE is a plus. Believe it or not, when I got my mini, I signed in, updated to 7 and then wiped it to use another account. I did that so I could use those apps on my 4s.
    12-17-2013 08:50 PM
    I saw a buddy at work running ios7 on his 4, my gosh is it brutal....but I'm sure the 4s is better.

With that said, I just came from windows and before that android...5s is my second iPhone to the 3G. I'm very happened to have returned, the leap was big enough (originally by 3 yrs I was tired of iOS)...but 7 has reclaimed my love for mobile os. The camera is amazing for the record.
    12-17-2013 09:53 PM
    Ios7.0.4 works just fine on my wifes iphone 4.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    12-17-2013 11:28 PM
    if you don't want to afford money for new iphone than stay on 4 also ios7 100% working very fine and stable on 4
    if you want going to some new light weight gorgeous slim phone and extra future like airdrop - touch id than sure get 5s its just superb
    12-18-2013 12:55 AM
    I saw a buddy at work running ios7 on his 4, my gosh is it brutal....but I'm sure the 4s is better.

With that said, I just came from windows and before that android...5s is my second iPhone to the 3G. I'm very happened to have returned, the leap was big enough (originally by 3 yrs I was tired of iOS)...but 7 has reclaimed my love for mobile os. The camera is amazing for the record.
    So you were bored with iOS after 3 years, but now are back because of 7?

I don't need the os refresh, but a new device would be a nice change. For the price of the S, I'd be a fool not to buy it.
    12-18-2013 06:13 AM
    Based on the fact that you are "not sure you want to upgrade your device", it sounds like you are just fine with the 4s and are going through a honeymoon phase with your wife's 5c. I was gung-ho on upgrading from a 4s to a 5s and when all is said and done, I miss my 4s and iOS6. I loved it for a few months but really miss the quality build of the 4s. OS7 is not the epic improvement I thought it would be. If I were in your place I would keep the 4s with iOS6 and wait until next year to see what Apple puts out.
    12-18-2013 10:56 AM
55 123