Upgrade to 5S for a good price or just upgrade to iOS 7 on my 4S?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So I just bought my wife the 5c for 27.00 bucks at Walmart. They also have the 5s for 119.00. I was not a big fan of iOS 7 up until I got to play with her 5c. I have 7 on my mini, but still running 6 on my 4s.

I think the speed of the 5c running 7 is what might have changed my mind about 7.

So I have 2 options:

1) upgrade to 7 on my 4s (not sure I want to upgrade device just yet)
2) upgrade to 5s for a ridiculous cheap price

So? hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

FYI, had the 4s from original date and still not bored with it and never upgraded my device yet with AT&T.

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Based on everything I've read ios7 on anything older than the 5 really slows down the phone. Again this is based on reading many forums on the subject. Once you upgrade there's no going back so choose wisely. If were me and you wanted the iPhone 5s go for it but weigh all your options pros and cons.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend the 5S. Just because the A7 makes it future proof. I don't think the 5S is going to get cheaper than this before the iPhone 6 is released. On anything older than an iPhone 5, iOS 7 tends to become slow. Remember that it's your choice and that you should do what makes you happy.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Convince Me Please

So I just bought my wife the 5c for 27.00 bucks at Walmart. They also have the 5s for 119.00. I was not a big fan of iOS 7 up until I got to play with her 5c. I have 7 on my mini, but still running 6 on my 4s.

I think the speed of the 5c running 7 is what might have changed my mind about 7.

So I have 2 options:

So? hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

FYI, had the 4s from original date and still not bored with it and never upgraded my device yet with AT&T.

If your 4S is jailbroken I would say no to updating but can tell you that iOS 8 will not run well and apps are starting to require iOS 7 now. If you can hold out for another year I would do that and get one near launch day but the 5S at $119 is tempting...

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I did not upgrade my 4s because of slowness and design, my mini feels ancient with 7.

I don't mind spending the money on the 5s and would most likely enjoy it with 7. I bought my 4s outright 3 years ago and have been "holding out" for a phone I really want to waste an upgrade on. But it's been 3 years, I don't care for android much, was a blackberry fan but their available devices have cameras not as good as the 5s (cameras important), and windows phone seems awesome, but not on par with what I am now accustomed too.

With all that said, it's like I should def just do the upgrade and stop "holding out" for some other device. The only possible one would be uBuntu next year.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I did not upgrade my 4s because of slowness and design, my mini feels ancient with 7.

I don't mind spending the money on the 5s and would most likely enjoy it with 7. I bought my 4s outright 3 years ago and have been "holding out" for a phone I really want to waste an upgrade on. But it's been 3 years, I don't care for android much, was a blackberry fan but their available devices have cameras not as good as the 5s (cameras important), and windows phone seems awesome, but not on par with what I am now accustomed too.

With all that said, it's like I should def just do the upgrade and stop "holding out" for some other device. The only possible one would be uBuntu next year.

I would hold out for the Ubuntu phone but that's just me

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The thing with the uBuntu phone is we don't know when it's gonna hit US and what specs it will have. It will most likely be an open source platform like android, but I prefer a closed garden like iOS.

I am at the point where I would like a different device (surprised I made it this long with the 4s) and I am comfortable with iOS and how it works. Plus, from what I read, the 5s has the best camera? hands down and that is extremely important.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

So I have 2 options:

So… hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

If you are still content with your 4S, then the only choice you have is to upgrade it to iOS 7 or not. If Apple stays true to form with the iPhone, you have approximately 9 months before the introduction of the next iPhone. That statement is not concrete and I have no evidence to back that claim. Personally, I'd upgrade the 4S and see how it performs. If it performs to your liking then great, if not, you can then decide if you want to upgrade to the 5S or ride it out until the next iPhone is released.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The thing with the uBuntu phone is we don't know when it's gonna hit US and what specs it will have. It will most likely be an open source platform like android, but I prefer a closed garden like iOS.

I am at the point where I would like a different device (surprised I made it this long with the 4s) and I am comfortable with iOS and how it works. Plus, from what I read, the 5s has the best camera? hands down and that is extremely important.

I've had the 4S and 5S and I can say that the only time I've noticed a difference with the camera is in low light, in daylight I see no difference in quality with taking pics. The other features of the 5S are slo-mo, burst mode and auto exposure adjusting while taking panos might be the difference though in terms of camera use.

I'm thinking of getting the Ubuntu phone when it comes out cause it is what I want in a phone

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
First, let me say that I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on my 4S without any problems and no lag at all. There is no difference from iOS 6 for me. The same is true on my daughter and son's 4S's. If you're not sure about upgrading your 4S, I would go with the 5S. Good luck. :)

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you are still content with your 4S, then the only choice you have is to upgrade it to iOS 7 or not. If Apple stays true to form with the iPhone, you have approximately 9 months before the introduction of the next iPhone. That statement is not concrete and I have no evidence to back that claim. Personally, I'd upgrade the 4S and see how it performs. If it performs to your liking then great, if not, you can then decide if you want to upgrade to the 5S or ride it out until the next iPhone is released.

I really don't want to wait it out anymore, so I might as well upgrade the 4s for I have an upgrade anyway.

First, let me say that I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on my 4S without any problems and no lag at all. There is no difference from iOS 6 for me. The same is true on my daughter and son's 4S's. If you're not sure about upgrading your 4S, I would go with the 5S. Good luck. :)

Thanks for heads up. Not all devices are the same as we all know, but I appreciate the confidence.

Changed the thread title to ask the question more immediate and clearly :)

Thank You!

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 4S and 5S and I can say that the only time I've noticed a difference with the camera is in low light, in daylight I see no difference in quality with taking pics. The other features of the 5S are slo-mo, burst mode and auto exposure adjusting while taking panos might be the difference though in terms of camera use.

Well, low light is pretty bad on the 4s, so for the upgrade price at 119, it might not be a bad idea.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I second this, iOS 7 ran good on my 4S when I had it

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, thanks for the photo. Would you say that is a good/bad low light photo for a camera on a phone?

Given the lighting conditions I would say really good but I haven't used other phones like the lumia 1020 so I can't really say but compared to the 4S it's way better.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
ah ok, tough me for to compare that same photo with a 4s photo, hence the question. So again this is now coming back to JUST UPGRADE DEVICE for better photos, upgrade software for a change of scenery.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
ah ok, tough me for to compare that same photo with a 4s photo, hence the question. So again this is now coming back to JUST UPGRADE DEVICE for better photos, upgrade software for a change of scenery.

Plus the 5S has LTE...

And remember you get these 5 apps for free when you get the 5S

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387330377.257568.jpg

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
LTE is a plus. Believe it or not, when I got my mini, I signed in, updated to 7 and then wiped it to use another account. I did that so I could use those apps on my 4s.