I would go 5S. I think you can get a higher price selling the 4S with iOS6 among those that know vs the 4S with iOS7. There's people that hate iOS7, and there's not really any other way for them to get iOS6 installed anymore. I installed iOS7 on my 4 and it's pretty slow.
    12-18-2013 11:06 AM
    Nine months from now on the day the iPhone 6 is released there will an article on a tech blog and a thread here on iMore speculating on the next iPhone, 6s or 7. What is rumored to be in the pipeline always appears more impressive than what is currently available. In my view, it is a lost effort to chase technology. I liked my 4s and it worked great with iOS 7 installed. But I've been using a 5s now for several weeks and it is a much better phone for all the reasons others have stated in this thread. I always go with the latest phone when I'm due for an upgrade.
    i7guy likes this.
    12-18-2013 11:32 AM
    Based on the fact that you are "not sure you want to upgrade your device", it sounds like you are just fine with the 4s and are going through a honeymoon phase with your wife's 5c. I was gung-ho on upgrading from a 4s to a 5s and when all is said and done, I miss my 4s and iOS6. I loved it for a few months but really miss the quality build of the 4s. OS7 is not the epic improvement I thought it would be. If I were in your place I would keep the 4s with iOS6 and wait until next year to see what Apple puts out.
    Well put about the honeymoon phase. I thought about what you said about waiting till next year and see what apple delivers, and I wrote a thread months back regarding the future of iOS. We all know apple will introduce new hardware next year, but the software will be relatively the same as in UI and design.

So that is another factor in my decision. I waited for iOS 7 to come out, don't care for all that much, but also don't care for any other platform out there either. So waiting till next year really doesn't make a difference except for hardware.

Still kinda feel like I ready for a hardware change. I'm a techie and its been 3 years. Before the 4s, I was buying a different phone every year at minimum.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    12-18-2013 11:51 AM
    I would go 5S. I think you can get a higher price selling the 4S with iOS6 among those that know vs the 4S with iOS7. There's people that hate iOS7, and there's not really any other way for them to get iOS6 installed anymore. I installed iOS7 on my 4 and it's pretty slow.
    I was checking on eBay for a few weeks, and people really are paying more for Apple products with 6 instead of seven.
    12-18-2013 11:53 AM
    In my view, it is a lost effort to chase technology.

I always go with the latest phone when I'm due for an upgrade.
    It really is a lost effort, never thought of it like that before, but makes complete sense. I would like to stay down the Apple path because of how it works.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    12-18-2013 11:56 AM
    I was checking on eBay for a few weeks, and people really are paying more for Apple products with 6 instead of seven.
    This isn't really true across the board...perhaps in isolated situations but most people buying iPhone's on eBay are looking for current firmware updates. I've sold 4 of them in the last few months and every time I was asked if it was running iOS 7 (and the one that wasn't...an old 4S we used as a backup) the person requested an update for it before shipping.

The only reason some people requested iOS 6 so heavily is because a couple of the early versions were jail breakable...this was not true with later versions or with iOS 7.

As far as your question, really it just comes down to what YOU want. Personally, I prefer to have the newest gizmos and gadgets, I also like the upgraded camera on the 5S and I have gotten used to the size now (and prefer the weight)...the 4S is a fine phone but I feel it's on the cusp of becoming obsolete with the internals it provides...you have to remember that the 4S is approaching 3 years old, it will also be 3 generations old starting with the 2014 model of iPhone, and that is typically when features begin to roll out that aren't supportable by the device (you have already seen this with the most recent iOS 7 release).

Get the 5S is you can...it's a very nice device.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    12-18-2013 12:03 PM
    Well put about the honeymoon phase. I thought about what you said about waiting till next year and see what apple delivers, and I wrote a thread months back regarding the future of iOS. We all know apple will introduce new hardware next year, but the software will be relatively the same as in UI and design.

So that is another factor in my decision. I waited for iOS 7 to come out, don't care for all that much, but also don't care for any other platform out there either. So waiting till next year really doesn't make a difference except for hardware.

Still kinda feel like I ready for a hardware change. I'm a techie and its been 3 years. Before the 4s, I was buying a different phone every year at minimum.
    I buy a few phones a year myself and I always pay full price, nothing is wrong with that unless you're not looking to pay all of that next year like you did with your 4. You can always sell your 5s next year though and just add the extra money to it to get your 6. The price of it won't get any lower, don't miss your chance to upgrade! A 4 to a 5s is a jump.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    12-18-2013 12:24 PM
    I really don't want to wait it out anymore, so I might as well upgrade the 4s for I have an upgrade anyway.

Thank You!
    Go for it, my friend...
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    12-18-2013 12:26 PM
    Contrary to popular opinion (not sure if it is based on fact) iOS 7 works fine on the 4s. I just upgraded to a 5 (got a great deal on a 64GB, that felt better than getting a 16GB 5s) and while the 5 feels faster, the speed is felt more in certain apps and not the OS. My 4s runs iOS7 fine. If that helps in your decision, great.

Some fail to realise that the 4s has a Dual Core processor slightly slower than the 5. The bigger difference comes between the performance of the 4 and 4s, that is night and day, as the 4 has a single core processor.

P.S. I got the 5, because I didmt want to spend on the 5s model i would prefer, and I dont like the plastic on the 5C.
    12-18-2013 12:27 PM
    Contrary to popular opinion (not sure if it is based on fact) iOS 7 works fine on the 4s. I just upgraded to a 5 (got a great deal on a 64GB, that felt better than getting a 16GB 5s) and while the 5 feels faster, the speed is felt more in certain apps and not the OS. My 4s runs iOS7 fine. If that helps in your decision, great.

Some fail to realise that the 4s has a Dual Core processor slightly slower than the 5. The bigger difference comes between the performance of the 4 and 4s, that is night and day, as the 4 has a single core processor.

P.S. I got the 5, because I didmt want to spend on the 5s model i would prefer, and I dont like the plastic on the 5C.
    I don't think anyone was really arguing that the 4S didn't run iOS 7 properly or fluidly...but the update was not 100% on the 4S compared to the newer gen device.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    12-18-2013 01:34 PM
    I don't think anyone was really arguing that the 4S didn't run iOS 7 properly or fluidly...but the update was not 100% on the 4S compared to the newer gen device.
    The only major feature the 4S didn't get with iOS 7 was airdrop (yet I can use airdrop between my 5S and 5th gen iPod touch with my router set to wireless g only)

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    12-18-2013 02:29 PM
    The only major feature the 4S didn't get with iOS 7 was airdrop (yet I can use airdrop between my 5S and 5th gen iPod touch with my router set to wireless g only)

Airdrop, native photo filtering and if I recall correctly, wasn't the parallax feature omitted from the 4S's update?
    12-18-2013 03:18 PM
    Airdrop, native photo filtering and if I recall correctly, wasn't the parallax feature omitted from the 4S's update?
    Native photo filtering was added in beta 4 or 5, parallax was there from the start.

12-18-2013 03:21 PM
    First, let me say that I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on my 4S without any problems and no lag at all. There is no difference from iOS 6 for me. The same is true on my daughter and son's 4S's. If you're not sure about upgrading your 4S, I would go with the 5S. Good luck.
    I think this is what he was looking for.
    12-18-2013 04:10 PM
    I say go for it. I don't think it's going to get any cheaper. Good Luck.
    xMatter likes this.
    12-18-2013 04:13 PM
    So i guess it comes down to this... upgrade the 4s to 7, play with it for a week. If I enjoy it, then upgrade to 5s, if not, then choose another platform.
    12-18-2013 04:15 PM
    So i guess it comes down to this... upgrade the 4s to 7, play with it for a week. If I enjoy it, then upgrade to 5s, if not, then choose another platform.
    That's your best bet. Good luck
    12-18-2013 04:17 PM
    No, the 4s does have native photo filtering, I too thought it wasn't going to get it, but I got it in my 4s. Parallax is also there it is janky though, I don't even use it on my 5. Really in a first time for apple the 4s got everything except airdrop. It's a truly capable little device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    12-18-2013 05:47 PM
    That's your best bet. Good luck
    Solid plan IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    12-18-2013 05:48 PM
    So I just bought my wife the 5c for 27.00 bucks at Walmart. They also have the 5s for 119.00. I was not a big fan of iOS 7 up until I got to play with her 5c. I have 7 on my mini, but still running 6 on my 4s.

I think the speed of the 5c running 7 is what might have changed my mind about 7.

So I have 2 options:

1) upgrade to 7 on my 4s (not sure I want to upgrade device just yet)
    2) upgrade to 5s for a ridiculous cheap price

So hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

FYI, had the 4s from original date and still not bored with it and never upgraded my device yet with AT&T.
    Based on what you said I would wait. I mean you said you're not bored with the 4s yet, so might as well keep running it and I wouldn't even bother with IOS 7 if IOS6 is running smoothly on the 4s and you are ok with that. Then you can pick up the iPhone 6 or whatever is the next version released or a 5S after the new one is released for even cheaper.
    12-18-2013 07:39 PM
    So you were bored with iOS after 3 years, but now are back because of 7?

I don't need the os refresh, but a new device would be a nice change. For the price of the S, I'd be a fool not to buy it.
    In a way yes, I got bored with iOS after 3 years because it always looked the same...and at the time WP7 was released and android was on the horizon, new different designs....so I went to WP and loved it...then android and wasn't overly impressed...back to WP8 liked it but still a beta stage. IoS7 really brought me back to iphone, including the preferable phone size (4" perfect for me) and solid stability os. I had the opportunity to play around with ios7 on my wife's phone for a few months before jumping on board again.

I am happy to be back, I work in an industry where I get to at around with all the latest phones and gotta say android/windows cannot compete in terms of simplicity, flawless functionality and speed/lagless.

The 5s is an outstanding phone, I am confident enough to say it's the best phone on the market. With android their best IMO is lg g2 and windows is lumia 1020. But overall 5s is top of the hill, king of the crop. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.
    Spencerdl and xMatter like this.
    12-19-2013 09:26 AM
    In my opinion you can't go wrong paying $119 for a 5s....welcome to the future
    12-19-2013 09:36 AM
    In a way yes, I got bored with iOS after 3 years because it always looked the same...and at the time WP7 was released and android was on the horizon, new different designs....so I went to WP and loved it...then android and wasn't overly impressed...back to WP8 liked it but still a beta stage. IoS7 really brought me back to iphone, including the preferable phone size (4" perfect for me) and solid stability os. I had the opportunity to play around with ios7 on my wife's phone for a few months before jumping on board again.

I am happy to be back, I work in an industry where I get to at around with all the latest phones and gotta say android/windows cannot compete in terms of simplicity, flawless functionality and speed/lagless.

The 5s is an outstanding phone, I am confident enough to say it's the best phone on the market. With android their best IMO is lg g2 and windows is lumia 1020. But overall 5s is top of the hill, king of the crop. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.
    This was the kind of answer I was looking for. I have bought used Android (Atrix) and WP (Samsung Focus Flash) phones in the past just to play with them. I just enjoy WP a lot more than Android, WP is just not where I want it to be even though I use all MS services. So thank you for backing up my initial thought that iOS 7 is as good as they say. There is no sense for me to wait to upgrade until next year if I plan on staying with iOS in the future, 7 will just have to grow on me.The iPhone 6 could have nothing new that I really need, so why wait i guess.

In my opinion you can't go wrong paying $119 for a 5s....welcome to the future
    That's what I thought, and that is the reason for this post. Saving 80 bucks seems decent enough.
    Spencerdl and chezm like this.
    12-19-2013 10:04 AM
    Native photo filtering was added in beta 4 or 5, parallax was there from the start.

We're talking final product here, not beta testing versions, which even included features omitted from the 5S upon final release. Regardless, my initial comment was accurate, the 4S's iOS 7 update was not 100%.
    12-19-2013 10:09 AM
    We're talking final product here, not beta testing versions, which even included features omitted from the 5S upon final release. Regardless, my initial comment was accurate, the 4S's iOS 7 update was not 100%.
    Native photo filters was in the final release of iOS 7 for the 4S. And yes the iOS 7 update for the 4S was not 100%. The only devices that I know of that got 100% of features on iOS 7 "update" day was the iPhone 5 & 5th gen iPod touch (32/64).

12-19-2013 10:30 AM
55 123