Upgrade to 5S for a good price or just upgrade to iOS 7 on my 4S?

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I saw a buddy at work running ios7 on his 4, my gosh is it brutal....but I'm sure the 4s is better.

With that said, I just came from windows and before that android...5s is my second iPhone to the 3G. I'm very happened to have returned, the leap was big enough (originally by 3 yrs I was tired of iOS)...but 7 has reclaimed my love for mobile os. The camera is amazing for the record.

meashishnd

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
if you don't want to afford money for new iphone than stay on 4 also ios7 100% working very fine and stable on 4
if you want going to some new light weight gorgeous slim phone and extra future like airdrop - touch id than sure get 5s its just superb

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I saw a buddy at work running ios7 on his 4, my gosh is it brutal....but I'm sure the 4s is better.

With that said, I just came from windows and before that android...5s is my second iPhone to the 3G. I'm very happened to have returned, the leap was big enough (originally by 3 yrs I was tired of iOS)...but 7 has reclaimed my love for mobile os. The camera is amazing for the record.

So you were bored with iOS after 3 years, but now are back because of 7?

I don't need the os refresh, but a new device would be a nice change. For the price of the S, I'd be a fool not to buy it.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Based on the fact that you are "not sure you want to upgrade your device", it sounds like you are just fine with the 4s and are going through a honeymoon phase with your wife's 5c. I was gung-ho on upgrading from a 4s to a 5s and when all is said and done, I miss my 4s and iOS6. I loved it for a few months but really miss the quality build of the 4s. OS7 is not the epic improvement I thought it would be. If I were in your place I would keep the 4s with iOS6 and wait until next year to see what Apple puts out.

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I would go 5S. I think you can get a higher price selling the 4S with iOS6 among those that know vs the 4S with iOS7. There's people that hate iOS7, and there's not really any other way for them to get iOS6 installed anymore. I installed iOS7 on my 4 and it's pretty slow.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Nine months from now on the day the iPhone 6 is released there will an article on a tech blog and a thread here on iMore speculating on the next iPhone, 6s or 7. What is rumored to be in the pipeline always appears more impressive than what is currently available. In my view, it is a lost effort to chase technology. I liked my 4s and it worked great with iOS 7 installed. But I've been using a 5s now for several weeks and it is a much better phone for all the reasons others have stated in this thread. I always go with the latest phone when I'm due for an upgrade.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Based on the fact that you are "not sure you want to upgrade your device", it sounds like you are just fine with the 4s and are going through a honeymoon phase with your wife's 5c. I was gung-ho on upgrading from a 4s to a 5s and when all is said and done, I miss my 4s and iOS6. I loved it for a few months but really miss the quality build of the 4s. OS7 is not the epic improvement I thought it would be. If I were in your place I would keep the 4s with iOS6 and wait until next year to see what Apple puts out.

Well put about the honeymoon phase. I thought about what you said about waiting till next year and see what apple delivers, and I wrote a thread months back regarding the future of iOS. We all know apple will introduce new hardware next year, but the software will be relatively the same? as in UI and design.

So that is another factor in my decision. I waited for iOS 7 to come out, don't care for all that much, but also don't care for any other platform out there either. So waiting till next year really doesn't make a difference except for hardware.

Still kinda feel like I ready for a hardware change. I'm a techie and its been 3 years. Before the 4s, I was buying a different phone every year at minimum.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I would go 5S. I think you can get a higher price selling the 4S with iOS6 among those that know vs the 4S with iOS7. There's people that hate iOS7, and there's not really any other way for them to get iOS6 installed anymore. I installed iOS7 on my 4 and it's pretty slow.

I was checking on eBay for a few weeks, and people really are paying more for Apple products with 6 instead of seven.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was checking on eBay for a few weeks, and people really are paying more for Apple products with 6 instead of seven.

This isn't really true across the board...perhaps in isolated situations but most people buying iPhone's on eBay are looking for current firmware updates. I've sold 4 of them in the last few months and every time I was asked if it was running iOS 7 (and the one that wasn't...an old 4S we used as a backup) the person requested an update for it before shipping.

The only reason some people requested iOS 6 so heavily is because a couple of the early versions were jail breakable...this was not true with later versions or with iOS 7.

As far as your question, really it just comes down to what YOU want. Personally, I prefer to have the newest gizmos and gadgets, I also like the upgraded camera on the 5S and I have gotten used to the size now (and prefer the weight)...the 4S is a fine phone but I feel it's on the cusp of becoming obsolete with the internals it provides...you have to remember that the 4S is approaching 3 years old, it will also be 3 generations old starting with the 2014 model of iPhone, and that is typically when features begin to roll out that aren't supportable by the device (you have already seen this with the most recent iOS 7 release).

Get the 5S is you can...it's a very nice device.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well put about the honeymoon phase. I thought about what you said about waiting till next year and see what apple delivers, and I wrote a thread months back regarding the future of iOS. We all know apple will introduce new hardware next year, but the software will be relatively the same? as in UI and design.

So that is another factor in my decision. I waited for iOS 7 to come out, don't care for all that much, but also don't care for any other platform out there either. So waiting till next year really doesn't make a difference except for hardware.

Still kinda feel like I ready for a hardware change. I'm a techie and its been 3 years. Before the 4s, I was buying a different phone every year at minimum.

I buy a few phones a year myself and I always pay full price, nothing is wrong with that unless you're not looking to pay all of that next year like you did with your 4. You can always sell your 5s next year though and just add the extra money to it to get your 6. The price of it won't get any lower, don't miss your chance to upgrade! A 4 to a 5s is a jump.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Contrary to popular opinion (not sure if it is based on fact) iOS 7 works fine on the 4s. I just upgraded to a 5 (got a great deal on a 64GB, that felt better than getting a 16GB 5s) and while the 5 feels faster, the speed is felt more in certain apps and not the OS. My 4s runs iOS7 fine. If that helps in your decision, great.

Some fail to realise that the 4s has a Dual Core processor slightly slower than the 5. The bigger difference comes between the performance of the 4 and 4s, that is night and day, as the 4 has a single core processor.

P.S. I got the 5, because I didm?t want to spend on the 5s model i would prefer, and I don?t like the plastic on the 5C.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Contrary to popular opinion (not sure if it is based on fact) iOS 7 works fine on the 4s. I just upgraded to a 5 (got a great deal on a 64GB, that felt better than getting a 16GB 5s) and while the 5 feels faster, the speed is felt more in certain apps and not the OS. My 4s runs iOS7 fine. If that helps in your decision, great.

Some fail to realise that the 4s has a Dual Core processor slightly slower than the 5. The bigger difference comes between the performance of the 4 and 4s, that is night and day, as the 4 has a single core processor.

P.S. I got the 5, because I didm?t want to spend on the 5s model i would prefer, and I don?t like the plastic on the 5C.

I don't think anyone was really arguing that the 4S didn't run iOS 7 properly or fluidly...but the update was not 100% on the 4S compared to the newer gen device.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone was really arguing that the 4S didn't run iOS 7 properly or fluidly...but the update was not 100% on the 4S compared to the newer gen device.

The only major feature the 4S didn't get with iOS 7 was airdrop (yet I can use airdrop between my 5S and 5th gen iPod touch with my router set to wireless g only)

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The only major feature the 4S didn't get with iOS 7 was airdrop (yet I can use airdrop between my 5S and 5th gen iPod touch with my router set to wireless g only)

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Airdrop, native photo filtering and if I recall correctly, wasn't the parallax feature omitted from the 4S's update?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
First, let me say that I'm running iOS 7.0.4 on my 4S without any problems and no lag at all. There is no difference from iOS 6 for me. The same is true on my daughter and son's 4S's. If you're not sure about upgrading your 4S, I would go with the 5S. Good luck. :)

I think this is what he was looking for. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods