Do I have a faulty 5S?

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Do I have one the fabled faulty 5s? Seems my battery life my fit the bill of the 5s fault apple has been trying to talk down in the last few weeks. I live in australia where apple is yet to make offical comment.

This screen shot is from a day where there was no gaming use, the screen was set to medium and all apps were closed fully. Even spent an hour or so on flight mode.

You be the judge.

photo.PNG

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Do I have one the fabled faulty 5s? Seems my battery life my fit the bill of the 5s fault apple has been trying to talk down in the last few weeks. I live in australia where apple is yet to make offical comment.

This screen shot is from a day where there was no gaming use, the screen was set to medium and all apps were closed fully. Even spent an hour or so on flight mode.

You be the judge.

View attachment 44108

If you got an email from apple then yours is faulty. Something doesn't look right though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Considering you're on 3G, you should be getting incredible battery life. Make sure that you have your settings changed up some. Make sure background app refresh is off, make sure auto brightness is off, uncheck apps in locations that doesn't need to track your location (otherwise, the phone is always check for your location), in accessibility turn your reduce motion on, turn off automatic updating for your apps, turn off airdrop, and you should be good to go!

Now, if that doesn't work, I would go to the nearest Apple store. Set up a genius appointment.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Considering you're on 3G, you should be getting incredible battery life. Make sure that you have your settings changed up some. Make sure background app refresh is off, make sure auto brightness is off, uncheck apps in locations that doesn't need to track your location (otherwise, the phone is always check for your location), in accessibility turn your reduce motion on, turn off automatic updating for your apps, turn off airdrop, and you should be good to go!

Now, if that doesn't work, I would go to the nearest Apple store. Set up a genius appointment.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Cheers man will give that a go tonight and see how long I get on stand by. Not that hopeful though as previously only been getting 8hours total on stand by.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I would try and restore the iPhone as new and see what happens. I have had this happen once or twice over the years and a restore always fixed it.

Ricky Ramadhan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

You be the judge.

View attachment 44108

You should try to recalibrating your battery
Empty the battery till your iphone turn off, charge on airplane mode

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I have tried restoring as new phone and also tried a few times running til empty and doing a full recharge (never on airplane mode though, can't see how that would help?).

Last night I pretty much left it over night as a "dumb phone" all apps closed, background refresh off, Bluetooth off ect ect. Got about 8hours stand by and 30min usage. Still seems way short of what's expected.

Planning to make a genius visit today. Will let you guys know how I go.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

You be the judge.

View attachment 44108

When you restored did you setup as new or load a back up ?
As a test I would restore as new don't load anything on the phone just leave it all stock and see how long it lasts if it's the same then it's def a bad battery

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nice sensationalistic title there, lol. Apple admitted that some 5S's were having an issue with the battery...they used the defining term "very small number" in their admission, and also said that owners with 5S's that fell within the list of ones they proved to be faulty would be notified by email to return their device for a replacement. Saying "Apple admits faulty 5S" is a bit generic...and can cause unneeded "panic" when reported so generically.

Thankfully for you, Apple will almost assuredly replace the device for this issue even if it doesn't fall within that guideline...part of having a product from a company with the highest customer service rating in the industry. They'll take care of you simply for being unhappy with the performance you're seeing on those stats, even if nothing is wrong with your device at all.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yep not right, Apple will be able to see your battery performance and they will replace the device or the battery ... Please keep us in the loop, I am very interested in how they handle this.

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I should clarify again that I live I Australia and Apple Australia has thus far refused to comment on the faulty 5s phones or how they will handle the issue.

I booked in at the Genius Bar. After using their apple gadget diagnosed they were intact able to see if there was physically anything wrong with my battery. It came up fine. They then ran more tests and concluded my issue was I restored from iCloud when I set up my phone.

The solution to my problem was to restore as new and essentially lose all my iCloud content. I had about 15gb worth of data. Anyway I have gone with this and will see how we go.

So far I am not hopeful as my batt seems to be struggling. Will keep you guys posted on what happens.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I should clarify again that I live I Australia and Apple Australia has thus far refused to comment on the faulty 5s phones or how they will handle the issue.

What problem do you want them comment on? They've already addressed the battery issue on the small amount of phones that were affected.

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So I can confirm that restoring as new (and losing all iCloud data) didn't work. It has very very slightly improved the batt life. Last night I got 9hours on stand by with background refresh off and all apps closed.

I get that this forum is naturally going to have plenty of Apple fan boys but to be quite honest I'm yet to see any of this "great customer service". Will have to make another Genius Bar appointment and hope I don't just get fobbed off with excuses again.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I can confirm that restoring as new (and losing all iCloud data) didn't work. It has very very slightly improved the batt life. Last night I got 9hours on stand by with background refresh off and all apps closed.
How did restoring as new cause you to lose all iCloud data? All you have to do is configure iCloud with your device and it all should sync back to it. As for 9 hours of standby battery life, that's crazy. You should get far more than that. I don't know what you've done and I'm too tired to read through this thread, but I suggest you go through each and every phone setting AND app settings and make changes. Specifically, changes to settings that you don't need or use. Limit iADs, adjust your brightness level. If you're in an area that has a weak cell signal, that will drain a battery quicker than anything else.

I get that this forum is naturally going to have plenty of Apple fan boys but to be quite honest I'm yet to see any of this "great customer service". Will have to make another Genius Bar appointment and hope I don't just get fobbed off with excuses again.
Yes, this is an Apple-centric forum and we try to help ANYONE as best as we can. Go ahead and make another Genius Bar appointment with your Apple Store, and hopefully, you find a resolution that's suitable for you. Take care.

LanceStoltz

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
That would be frustrating. Update us on what happens and possibly show us a pic of usage time. I have bad battery life too but it isn't anywhere near as bad as yours. Maybe you should straight away demand for a phone replacement instead.

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys.

I have tried just leaving it restored as new without downloading any apps or changing any settings - I still only got 10hours on stand by which is pretty far short of the 250hours advertised.

I have a Genius Bar appointment today so I'm really hopeful than can fix it. I love iPhones normally but this is starting to turn me off apple pretty quick.

iSlogan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So went into Genius Bar again today and they ran "diagnostics" again but this time out the back. After about 10 minutes the guy came back with a replacement phone.

I asked if he had found my phone was faulty but he said he couldn't comment on that he could only offer me a new phone. I'm ok with that and reading between the lines he hinted that there was a fault.

Anyway I must eat a little humble pie here folks. It was frustrating to get a phone that didn't work but I must concede that the service at the apple store was very good. I had doubted my choice to not switch to Samsung but I think I made the right choice.

Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here. Thanks to all those who tried to help out!

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
So went into Genius Bar again today and they ran "diagnostics" again but this time out the back. After about 10 minutes the guy came back with a replacement phone.

I asked if he had found my phone was faulty but he said he couldn't comment on that he could only offer me a new phone. I'm ok with that and reading between the lines he hinted that there was a fault.

Anyway I must eat a little humble pie here folks. It was frustrating to get a phone that didn't work but I must concede that the service at the apple store was very good. I had doubted my choice to not switch to Samsung but I think I made the right choice.

Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here. Thanks to all those who tried to help out!

Let us know how your replacement acts from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro