Just figured out this evening that you can register your fingerprints in capacitive tipped gloves. It was accurate too, my gloves have 4 capacitive fingers and only the one I registered unlocked the phone. Pretty cool trick for these cold days!
    serglb, nikkisharif and kataran like this.
    12-09-2013 09:24 PM
    12-09-2013 11:04 PM
    Just figured out this evening that you can register your fingerprints in capacitive tipped gloves. It was accurate too, my gloves have 4 capacitive fingers and only the one I registered unlocked the phone. Pretty cool trick for these cold days!
    Great tip! I thought about trying this but never got around to it. Good to see it works. Can't wait to wear my gloves tomorrow so I can register my prints!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-09-2013 11:38 PM
    Wow, nice tip
    Making new layer to get more security
    Security gloves
    12-10-2013 05:43 PM
    So is it the glove that's actually being registered?
    Last edited by iEd; 12-10-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    12-10-2013 06:22 PM
    So is it the glove that's actually being registered?
    Yes, it's the glove and not your finger. But it has to have the capacitive part in order to activate the touch ID sensor, which is why a normal glove wouldn't work. I mean really touch ID is more or less taking a HD picture of the surface of your finger or whatever body part you decided to use.
    12-10-2013 07:50 PM
    Yes, it's the glove and not your finger. But it has to have the capacitive part in order to activate the touch ID sensor, which is why a normal glove wouldn't work. I mean really touch ID is more or less taking a HD picture of the surface of your finger or whatever body part you decided to use.
    so have you had some other person put on the gloves and unlock it
    12-10-2013 11:27 PM
    so have you had some other person put on the gloves and unlock it
    Have not... Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow.
    12-10-2013 11:28 PM
    Have not... Good idea. I'll try that tomorrow.
    yeah let us know i work in a factory so have gloves on most of the time and have to take mine off to use my phone most of the time
    12-10-2013 11:34 PM
    I'm a bit saddened...I tried this with my Northface gloves & it didn't work. I think the tips are too smooth😔. I have a pair of Timberland gloves that I want to try but I'll have to wait until I'm back home in a few weeks. Hopefully others will have success!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-10-2013 11:38 PM
    Thanks for the tip
    12-11-2013 12:53 AM
    I have a pair of thermal capacitive gloves I wear on duty...they also work with the Touch ID system, and anyone who is wearing them can unlock the phone (tested a few times).
    12-11-2013 08:54 AM
    I have a pair of thermal capacitive gloves I wear on duty...they also work with the Touch ID system, and anyone who is wearing them can unlock the phone (tested a few times).
    I figured this would be the case, since it's taking a picture of the glove itself. Thanks!
    12-11-2013 08:56 AM
    I figured this would be the case, since it's taking a picture of the glove itself. Thanks!
    im not getting any gloves like that i work with a few sneaky people sometimes don't need anyone getting access to my phone contents
    12-11-2013 02:06 PM
    This would totally negate the purpose of using a fingerprint scanner as an additional layer of security on your iDevice. No two people are going to have the same fingerprint, but odds are there will be similar gloves in production. The morbid way of breaking into your iPhone is knocking out the owner and putting their finger on the Touch ID sensor until the phone unlocks. You could also sever a finger, but that's just getting too icky.

If I just had to steal your gloves there is very little you could do before I'm shutting down outside access and scanning your private information.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-11-2013 04:49 PM
    im not getting any gloves like that i work with a few sneaky people sometimes don't need anyone getting access to my phone contents
    This would totally negate the purpose of using a fingerprint scanner as an additional layer of security on your iDevice. No two people are going to have the same fingerprint, but odds are there will be similar gloves in production. The morbid way of breaking into your iPhone is knocking out the owner and putting their finger on the Touch ID sensor until the phone unlocks. You could also sever a finger, but that's just getting too icky.

If I just had to steal your gloves there is very little you could do before I'm shutting down outside access and scanning your private information.
    I agree. This, at least in my opinion, weakens the security of the device.
    12-11-2013 04:58 PM
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of laziness human beings exhibit when a feature that is meant to enhance our use and enjoyment of a device is already being circumvented for the sake of convenience.

No, I'm not beating up anyone that thinks using the gloves is a great idea. Just stop and think for a moment. Think about what you were about to willing give away so you could wear gloves. Now if you don't use or disable Touch ID for these purposes - that's great. That won't hinder you at all.
    Last edited by wamsille; 12-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    12-11-2013 06:00 PM
    It never ceases to amaze me the amount of laziness human beings exhibit when a feature that is meant to enhance our use and enjoyment of a device is already being circumvented for the sake of convenience.

No, I'm not beating up anyone that things using the gloves is a great idea. Just stop and think for a moment. Think about what you were about to willing give away so you could wear gloves. Now if you don't use or disable Touch ID for these purposes - that's great. That won't hinder you at all.
    Get over it. So you find it lazy that people do some things for convenience...whoopty doo. Stop to think about the scenario you're representing as lazy and negating the function...the capacitive glove still requires a Touch ID sync (with the specific glove), so the only way to get around the feature is to take both he phone AND the glove from the person...a person who gets that far is going to have the phone regardless of the method of Touch ID setup, so what difference does it make? The fact that you can lock the phone down and require a numerical password in conjunction with the Touch ID security feature means that it's still functioning as normal.
    Les74 and anon4757448 like this.
    12-11-2013 09:09 PM
    deleted
    Last edited by wamsille; 12-13-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    12-12-2013 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the trophy...I just hope that the absurdity of the complaint you offered was made clear. A person who is going to steal an iPhone from a person (AKA: robbing them) is not going to stop and think "This person is wearing capacitive gloves...we need to take those as well...", rendering your idea of negating the feature a bit moot.
    12-12-2013 09:44 AM
    When I am wearing gloves I just use the swipe method and enter my passcode. Not really inconvenient for me.
    12-12-2013 10:57 AM
    Sean and Finn are right how is it Apple's fault that touchID supports capacitive gloves? Apple isn't forcing the user to register a glove so it's at risk of the user if they choose to register something they know another person could have access to.

But to reiterate Seans point the potential phone thief would have to know you registered a finger from the glove.

This shouldn't even be a debate honestly cause it all falls on user interaction not implementation by Apple.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    12-12-2013 09:56 PM
    deleted
    Last edited by wamsille; 12-13-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    12-13-2013 10:08 AM
    Just to let you know, severing a body and using said body part won't work to unlock. No, A Severed Finger Will Not Be Able to Access a Stolen iPhone 5S

Also, I think the point people are trying to make is that they can use the fingerprint sensor with gloves on for convenience and keep their hands warm in the cold environment. Obviously someone that is worried about security with their iPhone would probably not do this (or would check and see if someone else can unlock with the same gloves). But I think we have beat this to death about now.

Thanks for the tip as well. Going to register my capacitive gloves right now. I use my iphone when I run and it's very handy to be able to unlock it with the gloves.
    anon4757448 likes this.
    12-13-2013 10:36 AM
    Wow, I didn't meant to start a debate. And by no means was I suggesting this would keep your phone secure. I was more or less just commenting on the fact that you could do it. I appreciate the fact that some of you are concerned about security. I'm not. I view Touch ID as a cool feature and something to play with. I appreciate the fact that I can have a simple pin code on my phone without having to type it. I enjoy that I can be lazy and unlock my phone without having to take my gloves off at 4:30 in the morning on my way to work. This is what apple does, takes something like a simple pin code and infuses it with the technology so you can use it without having to think about it.
    12-13-2013 11:06 AM
30 12