From HTC One to Iphone 5s

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I know the feeling. Had the droid maxx and s4. Couldn't wait to come back to iPhone. Doubt if I try android again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Droid Maxx is a great phone. As smooth and fast as any phone that I have ever had, including iOS and WP8. Motorola has gotten it right. But I still love iOS, too!

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I am also a previous Android user along with all the other platforms out there such as blackberry, windows, etc.. I do have to say I'm completely satisfied with my iPhone. All my friends, coworkers, and family members can't believe I haven't switched to a different phone. I used to get a different phone every week by either selling mine or trading. I would even switch carriers if I saw a phone I wanted bad enough. I've had an iPhone since March and this will be the first time I will have the same phone till it's time for me to upgrade again. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I gave up my Android (SG3) in lieu of the 5s, I couldn't be any happier. I decided to keep my Z10. This is my first iphone and I must admit I'm impressed and happy I made the switch. Not taking anything from Android, it just wasn't for me.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Wassup guys! I'm been a lurker in this forum. I used to have an Iphone 4s, then traded it to a Samsung Galaxy S3, then to an HTC One. I haven't been using an Iphone for the last 3 years. Now I'm back! I upgraded to an Iphone 5s 32G from an HTC One. I thought i wasn't going to go back to an iOS. But i'm glad I did. The phone feels great while holding it. It's not too big, not to small. Very simple software to navigate, the way I like it. I'm very happy and satisfied with my upgrade. I'm a happy guy!

do you miss the HTC one?

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Not to start anything negative, because I love iOS and Android both, but what are your issues and doubts? If you don't mind me asking...

1. I am heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. I upgraded my standard Google Apps account to a Business Edition to get advanced filtering options for email (blacklisting) and more granular control on what devices get activated on my account. My kids have Android tablets and my wife uses an HTC One - I like managing their whereabouts and remote locking / resetting them. Because of my investment in Google, I have encountered minor syncing issues with the iPhone. This has more to do with Google's proprietary implementation of email, contacts and calendar than Apple's lack of compatibility. If my family shifts to iOS or Windows Phone, I can move to Outlook.com and have no issue at all.

2. The phone is dramatically smaller than the HTC One. Screen is just as crystal clear and easy to read, but at times I do feel constrained to such a small viewing area. I have bad eyesight, so I've debated going back to a larger screen size because increasing the font size does not always do the trick. Yes, I have increased the contrast and it offers a little more help but in the end a larger screen will let me see more of "something".

3. I like to use Linux. Right now Apple's security implementation on iOS 7 to prevent damage or misuse of shady charging cables makes my phone throw fits when requesting trust of the PC I'm connecting to. This is with Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint and Fedora. I think I had it partially working on Ubuntu 12.04, but why use this LTS when newer distributions are available?

With Android, I know I don't have to change much and I can be happy. The iPhone on the other hand just works - it's the ecosystem I'm tied down to that is the issue. If I could just migrate to Outlook.com, my own domain on a Hosted Exchange plan and get a Mac for my home PC I would be just peachy with the iPhone. That being said, I'm about 85-90% happy with my purchase.

ragulto

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
How does the 5S screen compare to the HTC One? I love the screen on my One, but of course I LOVE the retina on my iPad Air too. But the screen on my HTC One is one of the best I have even used on a phone. Anyways welcome to iMore glad to have you. :)

Thank you for the warm welcome! To answer your question, i think for me their screens are almost equal. The only difference for me is the screen size. You can see more details on HTC One than the 5S coz of screen size. Clarity is the same. And I agree with you, HTC One screen is one of the best out there.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Not a lot. Sometime I kind of miss the bigger screen, but my wife upgraded her ipad2 to an ipad air so she hand me down her Ipad2. I got a bigger screen that the HTC One! Hehehehe. :)

I LOVE my iPad Air, but if you can't get an Air a 2 is a good substitute!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
1. I am heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. I upgraded my standard Google Apps account to a Business Edition to get advanced filtering options for email (blacklisting) and more granular control on what devices get activated on my account. My kids have Android tablets and my wife uses an HTC One - I like managing their whereabouts and remote locking / resetting them. Because of my investment in Google, I have encountered minor syncing issues with the iPhone. This has more to do with Google's proprietary implementation of email, contacts and calendar than Apple's lack of compatibility. If my family shifts to iOS or Windows Phone, I can move to Outlook.com and have no issue at all.

2. The phone is dramatically smaller than the HTC One. Screen is just as crystal clear and easy to read, but at times I do feel constrained to such a small viewing area. I have bad eyesight, so I've debated going back to a larger screen size because increasing the font size does not always do the trick. Yes, I have increased the contrast and it offers a little more help but in the end a larger screen will let me see more of "something".

3. I like to use Linux. Right now Apple's security implementation on iOS 7 to prevent damage or misuse of shady charging cables makes my phone throw fits when requesting trust of the PC I'm connecting to. This is with Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint and Fedora. I think I had it partially working on Ubuntu 12.04, but why use this LTS when newer distributions are available?

With Android, I know I don't have to change much and I can be happy. The iPhone on the other hand just works - it's the ecosystem I'm tied down to that is the issue. If I could just migrate to Outlook.com, my own domain on a Hosted Exchange plan and get a Mac for my home PC I would be just peachy with the iPhone. That being said, I'm about 85-90% happy with my purchase.

Yeah, my main issue with the switch is how invested in Google I am. Email for work, contacts, and calendar are all Google. It's not really Apple's fault, like you said, but that does pose an issue for me. I also have a decent amount of cash in my Google Play account that I'd hate let go to waste. :)

My other issue with Android that is making me want to switch is that I can't find the one phone that fits for me. I had the DNA, liked it but hated the lack of storage. I filled that thing and then had to juggle apps, pics, and videos. Then I had the S4. I liked the vast majority of it, but it was just bloated and the software had way too much fluff. Now I have the X. It is an incredible phone, smooth, fast, just the right size, good battery life. However, the camera is terrible. I have two kids that I like to take a lot of pictures and all I get is dull, grainy pics with little definition. IPhones have such great cameras and would be great for me kids.

I'm thinking of giving the One a shot before leaping to iOS. My other issue with iOS is what it will cost me. I got an X and Nexus 7 for what a 64gb 5S would cost me and I would still want to toss a retina mini in there for good measure. I buy everything off contract because I'm not ready to give up unlimited data just yet.

dev_esh

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Same over here !
I used the htc one for a period of 2 months and then sold it and got myself an iphone 5s !
Htc one was a pretty good phone but the camera had that purple tinit issue !

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the HTC One on Launch day, I thought it was a great device ... The two things I miss from the one and would love to see on a iPhone is the larger screen and boom sound ... The sound coming out of those front facing speakers were fantastic.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I used a Galaxy Nexus in parallel with my iPhone 4S for about 6 months. I thought I would like the Nexus' bigger screen, but found it a pain to use. The big phone was awkward to use in one hand and I kept dropping it - the slippery plastic didn't help.

As far as the OS, I had used android since 2009 and was no longer impressed by widget and live wallpaper. They just slow the phones down and crash a lot. Most widget are a poor use of real estate. Do you really need a clock that takes up half your screen?

I also found a lot of apps missing from android or they just did not work nearly as well as on iOS. And the back button on android still drives me crazy. I can never tell if I'm going back a level within an app or closing it.

Needless to say after sixth months I got rid of the Nexus and kept the iPhone. Now I traded up to an 5s and love it. None of the android phones even look appealing anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I used a Galaxy Nexus in parallel with my iPhone 4S for about 6 months. I thought I would like the Nexus' bigger screen, but found it a pain to use. The big phone was awkward to use in one hand and I kept dropping it - the slippery plastic didn't help.

As far as the OS, I had used android since 2009 and was no longer impressed by widget and live wallpaper. They just slow the phones down and crash a lot. Most widget are a poor use of real estate. Do you really need a clock that takes up half your screen?

I also found a lot of apps missing from android or they just did not work nearly as well as on iOS. And the back button on android still drives me crazy. I can never tell if I'm going back a level within an app or closing it.

Needless to say after sixth months I got rid of the Nexus and kept the iPhone. Now I traded up to an 5s and love it. None of the android phones even look appealing anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just on the Android Central forums discussing the differences between iOS and Android. I really like Android and had a lot of compliments for the operating system. But the moment I mentioned that there are some things that iOS does stock that isn't present on stock Android, the members there had a fit. I made the mistake of mentioning that stock Android doesn't support visual voicemail out if the box, by their reaction you would have thought that I literally took a **** on their heads. I go back and forth between Android and iOS almost monthly. But some how, I was labeled a troll because I dared to observe a limitation with Android.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I was just on the Android Central forums discussing the differences between iOS and Android. I really like Android and had a lot of compliments for the operating system. But the moment I mentioned that there are some things that iOS does stock that isn't present on stock Android, the members there had a fit. I made the mistake of mentioning that stock Android doesn't support visual voicemail out if the box, by their reaction you would have thought that I literally took a **** on their heads. I go back and forth between Android and iOS almost monthly. But some how, I was labeled a troll because I dared to observe a limitation with Android.

Yeah it's unfortunate that some of the members of the Android community get all up in arms but there are members of the iOS community that act the same way. I agree though I love the fact that iOS has built in Visual Voicemail, I really don't like Google Voice.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's unfortunate that some of the members of the Android community get all up in arms but there are members of the iOS community that act the same way. I agree though I love the fact that iOS has built in Visual Voicemail, I really don't like Google Voice.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Lesson learned. I will only visit those forums when I have an Android device again. Funny thing is that they even get sensitive based on what Android device they have. There seems to be a rivalry among LG, Samsung, and HTC users. I think that is hilarious.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Lesson learned. I will only visit those forums when I have an Android device again. Funny thing is that they even get sensitive based on what Android device they have. There seems to be a rivalry among LG, Samsung, and HTC users. I think that is hilarious.

Oh GOD. The HTC One/Galaxy S3 wars were frigging pathetic.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I think it's funny that anyone has a war over what phone they use. On the grand scheme of things, phones mean so little. They're toys for the most part. Some people really get their panties in a wad over nothing. It isn't just Android fans. It can be any fan of any platform.

I'm an Android user and lover but there's stuff that iOS does that I'd kill to have. I like all platforms. They all have something offer. Although I mostly find iOS and Android as the only ones I'd use.

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I think it's funny that anyone has a war over what phone they use. On the grand scheme of things, phones mean so little. They're toys for the most part. Some people really get their panties in a wad over nothing. It isn't just Android fans. It's can be any fan of any platform.

I'm an Android user and lover but there's stuff that iOS does that I'd kill to have. I like all platforms. They all have something offer. Although I mostly find iOS and Android as the only ones I'd use.

What he said. :)

But if a big screen iPhone comes out, I am on it like white on rice!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh