You gotta love this kind of thing...write a nice article (that is actually very full of information about the Touch ID system that some would really love to read and learn from), title it with something sensationalistic like "The trouble with..." and then make absolutely no point to reflect the title. This article essentially tells the story of problems with ALL finger print scanning hardware...and then tells you what Apple themselves have been telling people...that a vast majority of the issues are user based.

Read it for humor though, and maybe a little more insight into what goes into the actual system itself...

The Trouble With Apple's Touch ID Fingerprint Reader | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    12-03-2013 01:52 PM
    I actually think that this thread should be made into a sticky. It'll get lost in the rest of the threads, and people will still come here to question why their Touch ID isn't working.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    12-03-2013 02:08 PM
    User error, and a lack of knowledge about biometrics and how they work, could also be causing some peoples issues with Touch ID.

Duh....

Hey, did you catch the URL for the article?
    12-03-2013 02:13 PM
    LOL good read. I haven't had any issues with TouchID. Seems to me people want to find any kind of fault with TouchID because so far in the consumer electronics space Apple has been the only company to implement something like a fingerprint scanner and it works as intended *cough* Atrix, One Max *cough*

Of course there's going to hurdles to overcome with any new technology but to me this just seems like knit picking.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.
    12-03-2013 05:44 PM
    LOL...thanks for sharing this article!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-04-2013 12:29 AM
    Good read. But I love my touch ID. It works just about flawlessly for me. I do agree that most peoples issues are because of their lack of understanding. Most of the people I know who complain about it, all did a horrible job setting it up.
    12-04-2013 03:34 AM
    It is a good read, but the only thing it mentions about user error is your hands being too dry and/or oily. Otherwise it seems like the article is complaining that the sensor is just too small and blames potential problems that "May" arise.
    12-04-2013 06:39 AM
    Thanks for posting the article, good read....SMILE
    12-04-2013 11:36 AM
    It is a good read, but the only thing it mentions about user error is your hands being too dry and/or oily. Otherwise it seems like the article is complaining that the sensor is just too small and blames potential problems that "May" arise.
    Re-read the article one more time. They almost highlight the fact that most issues were most likely because of lack of user knowledge on how the system is set up and the the proper way to setup the initial print read. The discussion about the obstructions on a person's fingers was a very small part, but the previous point was what I was really focusing on.
    12-04-2013 11:48 AM
    I have read it, and still think there's a bias to the fingerprint reader for some reason. I mean they criticize the sapphire crystal to protect the silicone and the metal ring that seals it and activates it. I don't believe they could've made the sensor bigger without making the home button bigger. It does grab information from a bigger pool of data that has been stored, but I haven't noticed any lag. It also learns every time you scan your fingerprint, so it's very progressive.

Time will tell whether or not the fingerprint sensor holds up to last or even outlast the phone.
    12-05-2013 07:56 AM
    You gotta love this kind of thing...write a nice article (that is actually very full of information about the Touch ID system that some would really love to read and learn from), title it with something sensationalistic like "The trouble with..." and then make absolutely no point to reflect the title. This article essentially tells the story of problems with ALL finger print scanning hardware...and then tells you what Apple themselves have been telling people...that a vast majority of the issues are user based.

Read it for humor though, and maybe a little more insight into what goes into the actual system itself...

The Trouble With Apple's Touch ID Fingerprint Reader | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    First of all Sean thank you for the link to an enlightning article and I find it to be quite true and significant. I have personally have had no issues in the month I have owned my 5S and have been using ID Touch.

I knew from similar articles including Apples how the system works so maybe because I took extra care in setting it up to get the best possible read from the dermus (My skin) and i would not have issues. It is like anything else. If you take the care to do something right and understand how something works my opinion is that you will get the most out of something. After all Apple did not come up with this overnight now has Biometrics and finger print reading come to us overnight either.

Learn it, Understand it, Take to heart what good articles like this one says and speaks and you will get out what you learn and put forth. I really like the system more and more and feel more secure for it and have no desire to turn it off anytime soon. Thank you for sharing the article Sean and your grasp of explaining as you always do, You opinion and your take on things. Good job.
    12-07-2013 07:01 PM
    I actually think that this thread should be made into a sticky. It'll get lost in the rest of the threads, and people will still come here to question why their Touch ID isn't working.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    You might have a valid point but let me throw this is....Most of us who have been around these or this forum for some time and know Sean, Know that when he has something funny to bring to the table he does but when he is dead on serious about most topics and helping people you will find that most people that know Sean will read what he has to say because it makes sense, is on point, has something useful to bring to the table and in a case where he will give you a good link to read, it only enhances what he has already had to say and rarely do I pass it up to read. This is why I will almost always read his posts or threads and go overboard on my comments I make like now...LOL to make sure how I feel and people get it. He makes relevant and useful posts so read them and learn.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-07-2013 07:13 PM
    Good article!! My scanner has been very hit and miss and I've tried resetting the prints 3-4 times.
    12-07-2013 07:43 PM
    You might have a valid point but let me throw this is....Most of us who have been around these or this forum for some time and know Sean, Know that when he has something funny to bring to the table he does but when he is dead on serious about most topics and helping people you will find that most people that know Sean will read what he has to say because it makes sense, is on point, has something useful to bring to the table and in a case where he will give you a good link to read, it only enhances what he has already had to say and rarely do I pass it up to read. This is why I will almost always read his posts or threads and go overboard on my comments I make like now...LOL to make sure how I feel and people get it. He makes relevant and useful posts so read them and learn.
    *blushes*

Awww...shucks.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-07-2013 09:33 PM