• I have problems with it sometimes.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • No, it's terrible!

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Seems like one out of every 20 (or so) iPhone users I bump into has problems with Touch ID. I always suggest to 're-train' the device and I never hear back... so there's a good chance that perhaps there's some 'user error' going on here... However, I know for a fact that some are having serious problems with Touch ID not working properly.

How's your Touch ID experience been so far? Working flawlessly? Occasional glitch or problem? Or not working at all?

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Works perfectly for a week after registering a new finger, deteriorates slightly in week 2 and by week 3 it takes 3-4 tries before it logs in. So I re-register the finger(s) and the cycle restarts. Obviously it's not a problem with the sensor or software since it works perfectly for a week. I also clean the phone with anti bacterial wipes daily so it's not an issue with a dirty sensor. My hypothesis is that the change in weather/dryness causes significant enough changes in the valleys/ridges of the print to affect the reading. And yes, I apply hand moisturizer daily to try to alleviate this.

ngc

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Been using it since monday and it has only not worked like 3-4 times in 3 days, not bad at all...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since the iPhone 5S is currently the only device with this feature I am moving this thread to the 5S forum for better exposure.

Sent from my iPad Air.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been flawless since I set it up with the help of different angle of my right thumb and pressure from the top. Has not failed me yet. If you get it dirty or oily I would suggest a light wipe with a micro fiber cloth and that is it.

RxRex

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Works perfectly for a week after registering a new finger, deteriorates slightly in week 2 and by week 3 it takes 3-4 tries before it logs in. So I re-register the finger(s) and the cycle restarts. Obviously it's not a problem with the sensor or software since it works perfectly for a week. I also clean the phone with anti bacterial wipes daily so it's not an issue with a dirty sensor. My hypothesis is that the change in weather/dryness causes significant enough changes in the valleys/ridges of the print to affect the reading. And yes, I apply hand moisturizer daily to try to alleviate this.

This mirrors my experience so I finally stopped using it. Originally, when I purchased my 5s, I bought a Spigen glass protector to go with it and it caused issues that were alleviated when I removed it. Still, after a couple of weeks, its efficiency would go out of the window. I like this theory concerning print changes

Danzoman

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm right handed and it works perfect for me with my thumb and index finger. My thumb on my left hand is another story but that just may be poor motor skills. My gripe is if you press it just a hair too long from lock Siri pops up and it doesn't unlock when I dismiss her. Howard Stern was really cursing this a few weeks ago that was funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
You don't really need to push down on the button for it to read your print just place your thumb over the button.

Danzoman

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
You don't really need to push down on the button for it to read your print just place your thumb over the button.

I know I mean waking and unlocking in one touch. I've found that pushing it perfectly saves a step. Are you supposed to be able to touch it from sleep and it unlock? Maybe it isn't working for me lol

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty mixed for me. It works pretty quickly and succeeds nearly all the time, but it can take a few tries sometimes. Not too big of a deal, since it works flawlessly 95% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Since the weather has gotten really cold where I live, I've had more trouble. Before that, it rarely failed. I retrained it and it's fine again. I too have the same theory about dryness.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Darthbull

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I've trained both my thumbs and both my index fingers. I can almost always get an unlock on the first try with my index fingers. However, for some reason, I can't get the thumbs to recognize consistently. I've retrained them several times and still not working 100% I get about 60% with the thumbs.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's great when it works, keywords being "when it works", which is about 20% of the time for me. Sometimes, the sensor just won't recognise my fingerprint however many times I try. When this happens, it can be quite frustrating, because then you are wasting more time then if you had just locked in via passcode (which is precisely what Touch-ID was designed to let you get around).

I reset my iPhone last week, and Touch-ID worked flawlessly for a week before the problem resurfaced. It's not that inconvenient, but I shouldn't be needing to restart my phone every now and then.

Nissan4LIFE

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I too have issues with TouchID occasionally but it usually has to do with my finger placement on the sensor...most of the time I readjust and it works fine after 2 or 3 tries.

iamdjpaul

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with mine. But I did see an article on Flipboard where someone registered their thumb as 5 different fingers and that has helped.

Chrisbetty

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I hard problems with unlocking my phone 1/4 of the time and got smart and decided to program the finger I use the most, twice, never had another issue since then. But you can only have 5 fingerprints stored at once.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234