One Week With 5S and Trouble Free!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah what the heck...I know how many threads there are on 5S so what is another one. I have had my 5S one week today and completely trouble free using almost everything there is to use on 7.0.4 and loving it. If this trend holds out just like my trouble free 2 year old 4S that I sold, I will be be very happy and the battery life is phenomenal so far. Glad I made the move and also got the iPad Mini both Space gray, Both 32 GB and could not be happier.

Just wanted to add a positive thread to the bad ones meaning to offset the ones that people are having trouble with. Use your phone as you would in every day life and you of course at times could get a bad phone or glitch or you can get one trouble free. Mine as stated has been trouble free. Learn how to use the features and what to expect and sometimes what you think is wrong with your phone turns out to be nothing at times. That's all and thank you!

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on a trouble free long lasting battery life iPhone. Hope it stays that way.

This is my second iPhone exchanged by verizon 3 days after I got my 5s. The reason was due to excessive battery drain.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on a trouble free long lasting battery life iPhone. Hope it stays that way.

This is my second iPhone exchanged by verizon 3 days after I got my 5s. The reason was due to excessive battery drain.
Sorry you are having trouble with your battery life but then again how are you using it and the same questions asked 1000 times in many battery threads. it all depends on that or was there something really wrong to swap it in that short amount of time. I have to give it time to be fair and not rush to judgement before I call something or a feature has a problem. I don't personally thing that was enough and a bit premature - So how is the battery now?

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry you are having trouble with your battery life but then again how are you using it and the same questions asked 1000 times in many battery threads. it all depends on that or was there something really wrong to swap it in that short amount of time. I have to give it time to be fair and not rush to judgement before I call something or a feature has a problem. I don't personally thing that was enough and a bit premature - So how is the battery now?

What was happening after the first day I turned practically all the nice features off or set to minimum. Background updating, notifications, reduce motion, static screen etc. The exchange account was left on push, other email accounts on manual. At night, turned off cellular data.

What was happening with the original phone, charged to 100% before going to bed, in the morning it was at 85%. One friend said he charges his iphone almost every two days. So I brought it into the VZW store, explained the issue and at first they suggested I go to the apple store as they could diagnose it better. I said, that's a lot of time to waste is it possible to swap? They agreed.

Now same scenario, wake up with phone at 95%. I still think it uses a lot of battery when used "as intended" (which is nothing more than a gut feeling), but we'll see how this develops.

Also, both phones came preloaded with 7.0.3, which I updated immediately to 7.0.4.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm right there with you Jag! Going on a week for me on Tuesday. Haven't had any issues. My battery has been fantastic then I turned off background refresh and it's even better now. VERY happy with my 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What was happening after the first day I turned practically all the nice features off or set to minimum. Background updating, notifications, reduce motion, static screen etc. The exchange account was left on push, other email accounts on manual. At night, turned off cellular data.

What was happening with the original phone, charged to 100% before going to bed, in the morning it was at 85%. One friend said he charges his iphone almost every two days. So I brought it into the VZW store, explained the issue and at first they suggested I go to the apple store as they could diagnose it better. I said, that's a lot of time to waste is it possible to swap? They agreed.

Now same scenario, wake up with phone at 95%. I still think it uses a lot of battery when used "as intended" (which is nothing more than a gut feeling), but we'll see how this develops.

Also, both phones came preloaded with 7.0.3, which I updated immediately to 7.0.4.
Let me if I may make a suggestion to you. You should not have to turn off everything on your phone as you are doing or you are using half a phone, You are basically only using a phone so why have a Smartphone, The best Smartphone out today?
If you leave your phone at 100% at night and it is 95% in the am you have no idea how much is still running in the background that there is nothing you can do anything about that has to do with the OS and even 85% may be a tad on the low side granted, You have a new phone that needs it's battery conditioned and my phone came from the Applestore with 7.0.3 on it that I took home at updated also, I had backed up my 4S the night before because I knew I was going to set my phone up as new and restore from my iTunes back up.

Now you have to charge your battery and at least 2 times a month minimum, That is my practice, Let the phone die and turn off on it's own to condition the battery and use the heck out of it to let the battery be used and then as I said die and the phone turns off, now you are conditioning the battery. First week I charged my battery only twice and now I am in the conditioning mode and could not be happier.
Personally I have almost every app turned off from the lock screen except for a few very important apps with sound off like SportsCenter...LOL but serious otherwise I use it like it was meant to and I don't have much turned off except a few things that are obvious for me. You have to find what is you but not needed like you mentioned especially cellular off, Then you get up and turn all that back on... Crazy! man. Give it a chance and first condition your battery and at minimum let your phone die at least 1-2 times a month.
Enough rattling on my part but give your new phone a chance. Look in the How to section or the How to guide section here on the forum and read the battery guide I wrote and just give things a chance and good luck.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm right there with you Jag! Going on a week for me on Tuesday. Haven't had any issues. My battery has been fantastic then I turned off background refresh and it's even better now. VERY happy with my 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
I was going to mention that to i7guy but forgot, Ty for bringing that up as I did the same thing. Otherwise i use it like it was meant to.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your new devices!!! My 5S is also trouble free and so is my rMini. It's good to see a positive post in the midst of all the troubles!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with my 5S either. It is just about perfect. But to be honest, I haven't had an issue with any iPhone I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Megan Blok

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 5s since Halloween afternoon and I haven't had any issues. Touch ID works flawlessly (aside from the sweaty hand tries) and my battery life is decent when in use. Amazing on standby. The camera is awesome too! I'm in love 😍

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s 

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Two weeks today for both GOLD iphone's 32gb ( my Wife's and mine) and NO PROBLEMS......loving the iphone

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Two weeks for me and no problems

Went on an app free for all and got all the apps I wanted but didn't have the room got all my favorite movies loaded and doubled up on my music

Life is great I tell you

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
1 month trouble free, my touch id is still also working flawless (haven't had to re-enter since I got it). The only hiccups I've had is the device crashing and rebooting, but it happened while using the same app so I'm sure it's related to it and not the os.