Siri and location based reminders

dustlane

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
When I use Siri to create a location based reminder, the reminder itself shows up in the reminders app but it doesn't complete the location based part of the reminder. I have to manually go in and complete that part. Otherwise the reminder notification never works. I even have the location in my contacts. I checked all of my settings and everything appears to be set up correctly. Anyone know how to fix this?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
In iOS7, currently, location-based reminders won't fire if the Reminders app is explicitly terminated by the user. That is if the user removes it from the Multi-Tasking application list (brought up with a double-press of the Home button).

Also, Background App Refresh needs to be on for Reminders for location-based reminders to fire.

So, in order to have location-based reminders to work on iOS7, you need:

Reminders to be either in the foreground or in the background (after launching Reminders, you can press the Home button and use other apps)

The general switch under Settings > General > Background App Refresh set to ON

The Reminders switch under Settings > General > Background App Refresh set to ON

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Also of interest:

"iOS: Force an app to close": http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

"Note:
It's typically unnecessary to force an application to close unless the app is unresponsive. You can view all recently used apps by double-clicking the Home button. These apps are not open; they are in a suspended state.

Additional Information:
If you close an app that has been configured to receive background notifications, it will no longer receive them until it has been reopened."

"iOS: Understanding multitasking": http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4211
"If you close an app multitasking interface, it won't be able to refresh in the background.?

dustlane

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
In iOS7, currently, location-based reminders won't fire if the Reminders app is explicitly terminated by the user. That is if the user removes it from the Multi-Tasking application list (brought up with a double-press of the Home button).

Also, Background App Refresh needs to be on for Reminders for location-based reminders to fire.

So, in order to have location-based reminders to work on iOS7, you need:

Reminders to be either in the foreground or in the background (after launching Reminders, you can press the Home button and use other apps)

The general switch under Settings > General > Background App Refresh set to ON

The Reminders switch under Settings > General > Background App Refresh set to ON

All of that is correct. And I never kill background apps. No real reason to. The location based reminders work fine if I manually enter them through the reminders app. But if I tell Siri to remind me to ..... when I arrive at ...., she will create the reminder but not the location aspects of the reminder. Therefore it doesn't work unless I physically go into that specific reminder and manually open it and add the location. And like I mentioned earlier, the location is in my address book.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner