Here is my situation:

I currently have 3 lines with Verizon Wireless.

- iPhone 4s with 2G data $30/month extra
    -2 LG Basic Phones with no data plan cost.

The above costs me $116 to 120 a month after EVERYTHING. I have the Family Plan with 700 minutes $50/month with $9 off because of my employer.

First of all, I'd like to point out that I have no problem with Verizon and after dealing with customer service i have to say that they are not only very helpful but truly great at what they do.

However, i do love to save more.

Anyway, my iPhone line is up for renewal on Jan 15,2014. 2 other lines are in mid July of 2014.

i looked at a number of providers including MVNOs and can't seem to pick out the best player to save. Also, if i go for Tmobile.. i will either have to get the phone at full price or stay with Verizon for another 2 years..

Shall i wait till all lines are up for renewal and just get the phone at full price without contract? Or should i just stay with Verizon as my wife and mom don't care about smartphones and they are fine with what they got.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    11-22-2013 04:42 PM
    I actually had this debate in my head while getting ready this morning. I'm the opposite of you, I spend quite a bit monthly for my wireless service with AT&T. (after taxes and three lines with smartphone attached to them)

If you are content with what you have, stick with what you have. If you feel like you need to have the latest and greatest, consider what your budget will allow you to get away with and go from there. If you can get all three lines off contract and remain month to month with Sprint, you will be in a great position as you don't need to worry about ETF's when you eventually leave Verizon.

If AT&T would let me, I would pay my ETF's now or stagger out the payments over the next six months. I don't want a service contract dictate the choices I make on wireless service. Technically I can pay the ETF's, but AT&T told me that I cannot continue month-to-month at that point and the line is canceled. I would need to port my number and then port it back.

Stupid

I wish my bill was only $120 a month. Budget a higher wireless bill by $100 or so and save that until the other two lines are out of contract. Then ask yourself - would you rather have the money or updated phones?
    11-22-2013 04:58 PM
    Being that you stated, "my wife and mom don't care about smartphones and they are fine with what they got.", you might as well stay with Verizon. You can take your mom and wife out of the equation since they're not smartphone users. It comes down to what you want. There's no need to upgrade the wife's and mom's phones so why drag them away to another carrier and have to buy them 2 new phones to use on that specific carrier? If you're satisfied with Verizon and your iPhone, stay with them and upgrade in January. If you can swing it, pay full price for the new device so that you won't be tied to a new 2 year agreement. It will give you the freedom to leave in July, if you choose to, when the contract for your wife's and mom's phones are up. I hope that made sense. Anyway, that's my recommendation, but only you know what's best for you.
    Fobulous likes this.
    11-22-2013 05:00 PM
    I'd take a look at Tmobile's coverage and the reviews of locals before I started thinking about a few bucks saved by switching. Here in Atlanta, they have great service as long as you're in the city, but outside of the perimeter, it's pretty sketchy, and LTE data speeds are hard to come by. Because of this, even if I was saving $30+ a month, the service degradation wouldn't be worth it to me personally.
    11-22-2013 05:04 PM
    Being that you stated, "my wife and mom don't care about smartphones and they are fine with what they got.", you might as well stay with Verizon. You can take your mom and wife out of the equation since they're not smartphone users. It comes down to what you want. There's no need to upgrade the wife's and mom's phones so why drag them away to another carrier and have to buy them 2 new phones to use on that specific carrier? If you're satisfied with Verizon and your iPhone, stay with them and upgrade in January. If you can swing it, pay full price for the new device so that you won't be tied to a new 2 year agreement. It will give you the freedom to leave in July, if you choose to, when the contract for your wife's and mom's phones are up. I hope that made sense. Anyway, that's my recommendation, but only you know what's best for you.
    Yes I have the means to pay the full price and this is exactly what I am thinking to do. My friend said the best... I quote " so you are going to pay 800 so that you can save 12 dollars a month"
    Last edited by Fobulous; 11-22-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    11-22-2013 07:10 PM