Any new iPhone 5s owner will want to protect their device to keep it from getting damaged. There are many ways of doing this, from purchasing sturdy casing, to protecting the display with films... and just general overall use tips (never leave the device sitting around, pocket it or put down somewhere safe, etc.)

But what sort of tips do you have for keeping your device blemish-free!? Are there any 'tips' or actual products that you use? And do you have any horror stories where a device was damaged or flat-out destroyed (i.e. ran over by a car!)?

Would love to hear everyone's take on this.
    11-22-2013 02:06 PM
    I try keep my 5s in my pocket solo. Meaning no keys or coins in the pocket that it's in.

#Naked Tuesday
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    11-22-2013 02:13 PM
    Most of my phones have gotten the full body film clear treatment. You barely notice it and it peels off when you want to sell and looks like new for a better resale price.

Sent from my Note 3 using iMore Forums mobile app
    Saleema22 likes this.
    11-22-2013 02:20 PM
    Last week something bad happened, when I take photos at beach a want fix position of my bumper but my mistakes I just dropped my iphone on salt water. With my reflect I take it and turn it off, I do anything to make it dry and I believe is gonna be alright. So I dry it until few hours I turn it on and everything normal like before nothing error or damage

I promise it become first and last accident LOL

My iphone 5s just using spigen hybrid bumper, there's rubber for protecting bezel so don't make any scratches
    And I use cheap screen guard front + back
    I think want buy a tempered glass but I confuse
    My back screen guard have replace 2nd time because scratch when I put it in my tools bag there is a screwdiver, plier, and key on inside
    But my iphone 5s still like new nothing happened
    11-22-2013 09:25 PM
    My first iPhone was the 5. Kept it for a year, then got a 5S when they came out. For both, I have just used a bumper case. This was probably really needed for the 5, as the edges would easily scratch as you can see here in the forums. My tips were:

1. Keep in a pocket with nothing else in it
    2. Clean it often - I just use a lens cleaner mini spray bottle filled with water. So it barely gets any water on it, then I wipe with an eye glass cloth. The cloth you use is important!
    3. Be very conscious when you are handling it - picking it up, setting it down - usually the drops happen because we are doing multiple things at once
    4. Don't pick it up or set it down with anything else in your hand! Recipe for an accident

It's really that simple. The Apple store in NY said my 5 was in mint condition when I got the 5S. I really think putting more than a very minimal cover ruins the aesthetics of the phone we paid so much for, why not enjoy the beauty and thinness of it (I used to have a huge cover everything case and hated it). Also, I found no matter what anyone says, I can tell the difference between the touch screen bare and with a protector on it. Same issue - that touch screen is a technological marvel, why dumb it down with a protector. It's really very hard to scratch the screen! YMMV of course.
    11-23-2013 07:54 AM
    Glass Screen Shield, Full back protection all added with a Pouch. All my phones, spotless.
    11-23-2013 10:41 AM
    Don't think there's a real way to prevent scratches in any sort of way it's a device you're going to use every day so you just going to have to deal with it. I use cases and everything still have had minor scratches to the device it's just normal wear and tear.
    11-23-2013 03:53 PM
    I use a good screen protector, usually a Speck candyshell, and keep it in a padded pouch with no metal closures or zippers or snaps or magnets when I am not using it. I use plug covers as well to keep dust out of the ports. I use device wipes to keep it clean. I never set it down hard, ever, and I am very careful how it's placed in my purse.
    11-23-2013 08:38 PM
    Don't think there's a real way to prevent scratches in any sort of way it's a device you're going to use every day so you just going to have to deal with it. I use cases and everything still have had minor scratches to the device it's just normal wear and tear.
    with an otterbox defender or lunatik alike cases you can practically protect the iphone 100% from scratches...
    11-24-2013 12:47 AM
    Zagg shield full body and otter box are must haves for me. Been on them since the 4s. I do go naked with my phones every now and then. If all else fails, thank God we have AC+.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-24-2013 01:46 AM
    My first iPhone was the 5. Kept it for a year, then got a 5S when they came out. For both, I have just used a bumper case. This was probably really needed for the 5, as the edges would easily scratch as you can see here in the forums. My tips were:

1. Keep in a pocket with nothing else in it
    2. Clean it often - I just use a lens cleaner mini spray bottle filled with water. So it barely gets any water on it, then I wipe with an eye glass cloth. The cloth you use is important!
    3. Be very conscious when you are handling it - picking it up, setting it down - usually the drops happen because we are doing multiple things at once
    4. Don't pick it up or set it down with anything else in your hand! Recipe for an accident

It's really that simple. The Apple store in NY said my 5 was in mint condition when I got the 5S. I really think putting more than a very minimal cover ruins the aesthetics of the phone we paid so much for, why not enjoy the beauty and thinness of it (I used to have a huge cover everything case and hated it). Also, I found no matter what anyone says, I can tell the difference between the touch screen bare and with a protector on it. Same issue - that touch screen is a technological marvel, why dumb it down with a protector. It's really very hard to scratch the screen! YMMV of course.
    thanks for the advice. I handle my iPhone the same way. I never put it on raw surfaces, when i gave my girl my iPhone 5, there wasn't a scratch on the phone, it was like a brand new iPhone from the box :-). Some people find it stupid to care about a product the way we do, i guess its cause they have apple care
    11-24-2013 05:32 AM
    with an otterbox defender or lunatik alike cases you can practically protect the iphone 100% from scratches...
    While the defender does a great job of protecting the phone I wouldn't say it protects it 100%, I've actually seen many iPhones scratched from small particles getting inside a otterbox defender.

While it does protect from major scratches, if it is left on the phone for a long period of time dirt will eventually find it's way to the inside of it and there will likely be small noticeable scratches just like there will be with most other cases that aren't removed and cleaned.

As for how i protect mine, I got a few ZooGue cases when they are giving them away, just had to pay a couple of dollars for shipping. Very cases cases and provide a gripping surface to help keeps drops to a minimum.
    I remove my case pretty regular to give it a quick wipe down with micro fiber cloth and make sure no dirt has found it's way between the case and the phone.
    11-24-2013 07:52 AM
    Ever since I've used the leather case I've had no scratches at all on my phone. No complaints.
    11-24-2013 08:01 AM
    After I bought my iP5s I bought a speck candyshell case + a zagg screen protector,they work great. The thing o like about Zagg is the lifetime waranty, where when your screen is getting old, bubbly or dingy, you can call zagg and theyll ship you a new one
    11-24-2013 11:24 AM
    Most of my phones have gotten the full body film clear treatment. You barely notice it and it peels off when you want to sell and looks like new for a better resale price.

Sent from my Note 3 using iMore Forums mobile app
    The first day my new 5S arrived I had a screen protector ready for it. As soon as I peel off the factory screen cover I install my screen protector, my screen has never been touched by a human hand. I keep the back protector from factory on and just trim around the camera and at the bottom. From there it goes into a low profile speck case that has a bottom that is hinged on with a rubber material which makes installs and removal very easy. I guess you could say I'm very anal about keeping it scratch free. Treat all my phones the same way.
    Vinny
    11-24-2013 01:37 PM
    use applecare+ or the factory warranty if it scratches.

you can have them give you a replacement by saying something else isn't working. although, once or twice, my wifi or bluetooth have been wonky and i've gotten new ones

screen protectors look awful, please don't do those. just be careful, don't stick it in a pocket w anything else. easy as that.
    11-25-2013 11:44 AM
    Currently I'm using a glitter full body skin protector but when I try to put on a cover, I quickly see a mark made just by trying to put on a cover :/ I hate plastic covers... They make phones look over used
    08-17-2014 04:11 PM
    I'm using a Zagg GLASS screen protector, Zagg Invisible Shield HD on the back and it's always in one of my seven cases especially when I leave the house. Occasionally I let my 5s "breath" and go naked when at home....SMILE My 5s is scratch free (knocking on wood) and I've had it since December.
    anon4757448 likes this.
    08-17-2014 04:19 PM