5s Camera is truly amazing

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Is it comparable with the nokia's 41 mp camera? or is it better?!

I havent used a Lumia 1020 (the 41MP camera) in real life situations (tested at store), i watched many comparison online videos and although the 5s isn't directly comparable...it does a very good job of competing. It definitely snaps pictures quicker and the overall experience easier, whereas the 1020 seems to require strong focus and manipulation. I would personally say the 5s is the point/click superior camera device, whereas the 1020 is the focus/photographer leader.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I havent used a Lumia 1020 (the 41MP camera) in real life situations (tested at store), i watched many comparison online videos and although the 5s isn't directly comparable...it does a very good job of competing. It definitely snaps pictures quicker and the overall experience easier, whereas the 1020 seems to require strong focus and manipulation. I would personally say the 5s is the point/click superior camera device, whereas the 1020 is the focus/photographer leader.

I've personally owned the 1020 and I can comment on a few things here:

Nokia put out a really great camera for the 1020. The gymnastics it can do compared to the competition in order to capture an image is unmatched. Where the Lumia 1020 excels is in its ability to take an image and manage it after the fact. Now what do I mean by that:

Let's take the obvious example that Nokia has been using for their in-store displays and look at a shot featuring some hot air balloons. You take a wide shot, zoomed out showing 3-4 hot air balloons within your immediate area. Instead of snapping individuals photos for each balloon and crew, the one shoot captures enough detail for someone to zoom in on specific details of the photo and in effect create a new picture. Cropping a 1020 photo compared to some of the lesser cameraphones of 2013 and 2012 will show you how much better optics have become.

On the flip side, say you took a picture of your now ex-girlfriend and in the main shot zoomed in on her cheating, smiley face. Previous phones would have only captured the zoomed shot and nothing more. The Lumia 1020 captures the zoomed photo, however you can then zoom out and see the rest of the photo. The post processing that can then be done to remove your ex-girlfriend and focus on the rest of the shoot in-app is wonderful.

It is a shame that the 1020 is hampered by an OS that at times is too simple for its own good and a convoluted series of chained camera applications (Lenses) that opened slowly and had the potential to result in missed opportunities and photos that were out of focus or were taken with a lens that doesn't have the full 41MP oversampled image to manipulate. (Because of speed concerns)

If you are taking photos of subjects with the 1020 in a controlled environment and have intent behind your shots, the results are very good. If you are casually snapping up pictures of everyday events you may come away disappointed or have fewer "keepers" because of the shutter lag and post-processing done on the Lumia to process the image you just took.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Also wanted to add that the camera grip accessory from Nokia is a worthwhile accessory that will add some legitimacy to your shots and give you some extra juice between charges. If the camera grip itself offered a layer of protection I would have never removed it from the 1020 while I had it. Also, I don't care what people say - the 1020 was heavier than any other smartphone currently available. The weight was relevant to what was packed into the device and the materials used in construction, so the trade-offs were worth the benefits.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is probably one of the top three reasons I'm considering leaving my Android cocoon for iOS (again). I've got a Galaxy S4 right now and it does take some pretty good pictures, but TouchWiz is growing old with me. But when you look at other Android phones, all of them seem to have some camera issue that I can't get passed. I have an 11 year old and a 1 year old and pictures/videos are so important to me. I usually only have my phone with me for pictures, and I HATE missing a great shot just because of a slow or bad camera. I kind of assumed that this camera would be great but it's reassuring that so many of you love it and can sing its praises.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is probably one of the top three reasons I'm considering leaving my Android cocoon for iOS (again). I've got a Galaxy S4 right now and it does take some pretty good pictures, but TouchWiz is growing old with me. But when you look at other Android phones, all of them seem to have some camera issue that I can't get passed. I have an 11 year old and a 1 year old and pictures/videos are so important to me. I usually only have my phone with me for pictures, and I HATE missing a great shot just because of a slow or bad camera. I kind of assumed that this camera would be great but it's reassuring that so many of you love it and can sing its praises.

My sister in law has a Galaxy S 4...and she said the exact same thing. When we went to my nieces Tai Kwan Do belt ceremony, she was trying to take pictures of her and the other students presenting different moves to the audience. She was getting really terrible pictures...all the while I was able to snap off tons with the burst mode, and also, record HD video and pull some really nice shots out of that as well (something I'm sure she could also do with the GS4, but was getting frustrated trying to navigate to get to different functions).

She's actually selling it this weekend and going to buy an iPhone 5S. She said she still doesn't care for the OS (though she's only used it a handful of times on other people's devices), but she said if things like photography and video are at the level I was showing her, combined with the ease of use within iOS to do it, it would be a tiny trade off for her vs. the plus side.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My sister in law has a Galaxy S 4...and she said the exact same thing. When we went to my nieces Tai Kwan Do belt ceremony, she was trying to take pictures of her and the other students presenting different moves to the audience. She was getting really terrible pictures...all the while I was able to snap off tons with the burst mode, and also, record HD video and pull some really nice shots out of that as well (something I'm sure she could also do with the GS4, but was getting frustrated trying to navigate to get to different functions).

She's actually selling it this weekend and going to buy an iPhone 5S. She said she still doesn't care for the OS (though she's only used it a handful of times on other people's devices), but she said if things like photography and video are at the level I was showing her, combined with the ease of use within iOS to do it, it would be a tiny trade off for her vs. the plus side.

I don't have that much trouble getting a good shot with the S4, I just don't like TouchWiz much anymore. It's pretty long in the tooth. But photos are incredibly important to me, especially with the kids. Now if I want to switch to another Android phone, it seems like every phone has one issue or the other with the camera.

I've used iOS numerous times. Had a 4, 4S, and 5, as well as an iPad mini 1st Gen. I like the OS, I just prefer Android and being able to customize what I like. But honestly camera means so much to me that iOS might have to be the winner.

One of my issues is the cost. I love to have a tablet and phone (have a Nexus 7 now to go along with my S4). But to get an iPhone and iPad mini (gotta go retina this time around) will cost me a good $500 over what I have already spent.

I'm giving the Moto X a shot for a couple weeks - I've heard the camera has gotten better after some updates. If it fails me, 5S here I come! I guess I'll just have to suck up the extra cost.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't have that much trouble getting a good shot with the S4, I just don't like TouchWiz much anymore. It's pretty long in the tooth. But photos are incredibly important to me, especially with the kids. Now if I want to switch to another Android phone, it seems like every phone has one issue or the other with the camera.

I've used iOS numerous times. Had a 4, 4S, and 5, as well as an iPad mini 1st Gen. I like the OS, I just prefer Android and being able to customize what I like. But honestly camera means so much to me that iOS might have to be the winner.

One of my issues is the cost. I love to have a tablet and phone (have a Nexus 7 now to go along with my S4). But to get an iPhone and iPad mini (gotta go retina this time around) will cost me a good $500 over what I have already spent.

I'm giving the Moto X a shot for a couple weeks - I've heard the camera has gotten better after some updates. If it fails me, 5S here I come! I guess I'll just have to suck up the extra cost.

Consider the Moto X is getting KitKat 4.4 in the immediate future, you may find this more to your liking than an iOS device.

Still, the camera on the 5S has been a real winner for me because of it's feature set, accessbility and more importantly the finished product. You can have all the bells and whistles or an impressive spec sheet, but if the pictures you are able to take in "real world" scenarios are not up to snuff then it's not really worth the expense.

Are phones running Android getting better optics? Yes. Are they there yet? Close.

I think Nokia might get the mix of hardware / software and post processing on a Windows Phone device before any OEM producing something running Android. In terms of ease of use and user-friendliness, Apple has Android beat. I do like Motorola's attempt to make the camera more accesible and HTC providing a nicer and more encompassing user experience with Zoe. I just think that Apple takes the cake having a shared interface across multiple devices, albeit with slightly different camera specs.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Cant you just use your Nexus 7 with your potential iPhone 5s? I have no issues using my iPhone 5s and my Surface Pro 2 to save/share pictures using Skydrive. I get how people want the ecosystem that works 'best' but is it really worth the additional cost? I mean in the end if that works for you then go for it, but i dont get why some people believe its a necessity...i would consider it more a luxury. Plus, you've already invested $$$ into Android Apps that im sure you use frequently.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Consider the Moto X is getting KitKat 4.4 in the immediate future, you may find this more to your liking than an iOS device.

Still, the camera on the 5S has been a real winner for me because of it's feature set, accessbility and more importantly the finished product. You can have all the bells and whistles or an impressive spec sheet, but if the pictures you are able to take in "real world" scenarios are not up to snuff then it's not really worth the expense.

Are phones running Android getting better optics? Yes. Are they there yet? Close.

I think Nokia might get the mix of hardware / software and post processing on a Windows Phone device before any OEM producing something running Android. In terms of ease of use and user-friendliness, Apple has Android beat. I do like Motorola's attempt to make the camera more accesible and HTC providing a nicer and more encompassing user experience with Zoe. I just think that Apple takes the cake having a shared interface across multiple devices, albeit with slightly different camera specs.

I'm on Verizon so the X has KitKat already.

And I really think that Apple wins the camera world in the mobile space. Nokia could be up there, but I'm sorry, they gotta go to Android if they want to compete. Windows phone is nice, but it just isn't Android or iOS. They are by far the leaders in this industry. And for me, the only two options.

We're on the same page with Apple's camera interface. This is seriously the number one reason I would want to go back to iOS.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Cant you just use your Nexus 7 with your potential iPhone 5s? I have no issues using my iPhone 5s and my Surface Pro 2 to save/share pictures using Skydrive. I get how people want the ecosystem that works 'best' but is it really worth the additional cost? I mean in the end if that works for you then go for it, but i dont get why some people believe its a necessity...i would consider it more a luxury. Plus, you've already invested $$$ into Android Apps that im sure you use frequently.

I could, but my OCD likes to be immersed in one platform. But I don't know if it's worth the additional cost. And regarding apps that I've invested in, I've got quite a number of paid apps on both, more on iOS actually, so that's not really the issue. I've bought songs on both, TV shows on both, etc. I do have around $60 in Google Play money, however.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
And I really think that Apple wins the camera world in the mobile space. Nokia could be up there, but I'm sorry, they gotta go to Android if they want to compete. Windows phone is nice, but it just isn't Android or iOS. They are by far the leaders in this industry. And for me, the only two options.

While I 100% agree with you here, this is more a present situation and I'm betting my money Windows Phone will improve...now whether it will be enough to keep up with iOS/Android is the big question. With the XBOX ONE and the MS expands Windows ecosystem to new heights, and their Nokia investment, they have already solidified they want to be a big player in the mobile market...whereas the last 3 years has been questionable at best (thrown money into the division to see where things would go). I think Windows Phone will change in the next 12 months more than it has in the last 3 years...yes, they've been saying that since WP8 was launched i know...but with the acquisition of Nokia and a new CEO at the helm it will be a different ball game.

We're on the same page with Apple's camera interface. This is seriously the number one reason I would want to go back to iOS.

Apple has created the most simplistic and perfect camera UI...its easy, quick, everything is accessible and anyone can use it. Big thumbs up.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I respectfully disagree on Nokia needing to switch to another OS (homegrown or Android) in order to be viable. Nokia did an admirable job of making the most of their platform but ultimately that is up to Microsoft to remedy. Too many woefully underpowered devices and confusion in the migration of 7.x to 8.x stunted the adoption rate.

The Lumia 900 should have had the internals to upgrade to Windows Phone 8.x. Instead of releasing a phone in April and usurping it in September with a flashier model they should have incorporated some of the tech in the 920 on the 900. Close to the one year mark introducing the 920 wouldn't have been so much of a hit to consumers. Then you have the 925, the 1020, the 1520, the Lumia tablet - all seems like an effort to fill a device quota with Microsoft rather than address the needs of their userbase.

This is why I went with iPhone. I'm tired of looking at my phone and in 6 months wishing I waited or trying to negotiate trades online. Will an iPhone 6 be better than a 5/5C/5S? Yes. But I will be less likely to sell and trade this phone to get another one than I would with a Nexus 5 or Moto X.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods