Bidding on a 5s on EBay

JOEY NEAT

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
With the few posts of seen on here from people buying on Ebay just to end up with a locked unusable phone, I'd stay away from Ebay. At least on Craigslist you can meet with the seller and make sure all is ok.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
With the few posts of seen on here from people buying on Ebay just to end up with a locked unusable phone, I'd stay away from Ebay. At least on Craigslist you can meet with the seller and make sure all is ok.

If you buy an iPhone 5S that is listed as "unlocked" but is not when it arrives, you can get a full refund back almost immediately with proof of tracking back to the seller. iPhone 5S's listed as true unlocked models (whether by carrier unlock or sold as unlocked from the box) sell for substantially more than normal models of the same specs...for instance, my last gold 5S 32GB was going for about $150-$200 more than the carrier locked variants for sale at the same time (at end of auction).

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I have purchased a few iPhones on eBay and never had any issues with the seller or the iPhones. I always check the sellers feedback before placing any bid along with checking whether he/she has sold phones before. Anything less than 99% feedback and I simply move on to another auction. I've read issues with people buying iPhones on Craigslist before as well, so it's hit or miss anytime you are purchasing an iPhone from any third party.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have purchased a few iPhones on eBay and never had any issues with the seller or the iPhones. I always check the sellers feedback before placing any bid along with checking whether he/she has sold phones before. Anything less than 99% feedback and I simply move on to another auction. I've read issues with people buying iPhones on Craigslist before as well, so it's hit or miss anytime you are purchasing an iPhone from any third party.

Well said

I've been buying small Motorcycle parts on Ebay since 2000 back when you sent a check it was a slow process

My first phone was a Palm Pre 2 I asked multiply Questions during the bidding War and ended up winning the Auction for 292.00 dollars which at that time was a great deal

eBay has many good deals but these days you have to be careful and know what your bidding on. We've seen many stories on this Forum of members not getting what they paid for

Sent from my iPhone 5

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Never put a bid in higher than what you are willing to spend.

If your budget is $650 for a new iPhone, that is your max bid. You know you could be spending up to $650 but depending on the auction activity it could be lower. You could also lose an auction this way.

If you are willing to go that close to retail, pay the retail price at a retail store.

I'm going to trust a brick and mortar store more than I would an eBay seller. Granted, there are security measures in place to protect buyers and sellers alike online. This is a matter of preference, but personally I would rather shake someone's hand after giving them that much of my hard earned money rather than **** it away on a transaction gone bad.

Craigslist is no safer than standing out on a street corner and scalping tickets

I have been personally cheated out of fair deals by sellers that have provided less than honest assessments of their equipment. I've had phones that were alleged warranty replacements or customer exchanges that should have been completed by mail and were not. I had been sold one phone when that device should have been returned to the carrier for either warranty service or worry-free exchanges. Thankfully it wasn't just my own blind stupidity in the matter and I could get assistance from the carrier to address the situation.

There are honest sellers on eBay and Craigslist. I'm happy to say I'm one of them, but the headaches involved usually outweigh the potential profits.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
@wamsille I understand the way it works and wasn't gonna bid more than 750 for the phone I feel confident with this one after contacting the seller a few time. I won the bid and saving 130 dollars and his description is pretty straight forward but I also understand the risks involved hopefully it turns out well. Always use PayPal as payment as well
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1385160634.704853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
@wamsille I understand the way it works and wasn't gonna bid more than 750 for the phone I feel confident with this one after contacting the seller a few time. I won the bid and saving 130 dollars and his description is pretty straight forward but I also understand the risks involved hopefully it turns out well. Always use PayPal as payment as well
View attachment 42985

Sent from my iPhone 5

Congrats on the new phone.

#Naked Tuesday

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 42985

Sent from my iPhone 5

Enjoy!! Just got mine today

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Very excited my 5s just came in its factory sealed these are the unboxing pics
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1386100441.694656.jpg
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1386100455.895162.jpg
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1386100473.531727.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1386100497.195664.jpg

Time to go on the sprint site and see if it activates will keep everyone posted

Sent from my iPhone 5 soon to be 5s Gold 64GB

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok after a tense hour of back and forth with the seller I finally got my 5s Activated

The seller still had the MEID # associated with his account so I couldn't get it activated but he cleared it up for me and now I'm just finishing up tweaking my last settings and get my Touch ID set up

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods