Can I turn off the camera sound?

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why Apple doesn't allow this? We can turn off lock clicks and turn off typing clicks, but not the camera click?

Is this just a stubborn Apple quirk?

Sent from my iPhone 5 iMore Forum App

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why Apple doesn't allow this? We can turn off lock clicks and turn off typing clicks, but not the camera click?

When there's a jailbreak and you can get access to the file structure there's a way to delete the sound file for the camera shutter. That's how people have done it in the past at least.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry does not allow camera silence either, even when the phone is on silent.

I'm glad when the iPhone is set to silent the camera is as well!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Well it makes some sense Apple can't be accused if people try and take unwanted upskirt pictures which happens all the time but at least they give you a way out with the silent switch

Sent from my iPhone 5

polaria

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I remember reading somewhere that in Japan it is actually illegal to be able to turn off the camera noise for just that reason. Not sure if that's true or not though.

There was some sort of hassle over this several years ago. In South-Korea they actually passed a law in 2004 mandating the use of 64-decibel "shutter sound". In Japan the manufacturers just pre-empted the law by common agreement. I'm not sure if the law was ever passed there but you just can't get a device (regardless OS) without shutter-sound there. You can't even turn an iPhone sold there into silent-mode to disable the shutter sound.

Sources:

https://www.privacyinternational.org/reports/south-korea/ii-surveillance-policy

Japanese iPhone Makes Loud Shutter Sound in Silent Mode

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry does not allow camera silence either, even when the phone is on silent.

I'm glad when the iPhone is set to silent the camera is as well!

Yes, yes they do. At least on BlackBerry 10 devices.

To the OP, just flip the switch, thats what I do!

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site

The general argument for it is that it's against the law but that's not really the case as some devices do allow it.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
There is several apps that allow for it on BlackBerry and with BlackBerry 10 devices it's part of the core OS.

Yes I knew about the apps for legacy. It's just not built in and always seemed to be a point of contention over at cb. :)

I haven't tried BlackBerry 10 yet. Nice that it's included!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro