Hi everyone, I'm an old Crackberry forums guy and this is my first iMore post! I was using the Apple forums which Crackberry provides, but that isn't cutting it anymore and I have decided to go to a much more bright source for all things Apple. Anyways....

I am curious to know if the iPhone 5S (more specifically the Verizon version) supports the soon to be introduced AWS LTE spectrum. As most of you know, currently LTE is solely used in data transmission, not voice. AWS LTE merges them together and allows voice to be carried over LTE (I'm assuming this means that carriers will eventually start shutting down their old 3G service).

I'm very curious to know if the iPhone 5S would be able to support AWS LTE through a possible software update?

Thanks.
    11-07-2013 10:27 AM
    Model A1533 (CDMA) does support Band 4 (AWS) according to the iPhone 5s specs page. This is the model that is used in the US with Verizon Wireless.
    11-07-2013 10:37 AM
    The iPhone 5S' technical specs can be found via the following link:

Apple - iPhone 5s - Technical Specifications
    11-07-2013 10:38 AM
    Model A1533 (CDMA) does support Band 4 (AWS) according to the iPhone 5s specs page. This is the model that is used in the US with Verizon Wireless.
    Cool. Now does that mean it will automatically connect to that spectrum once Verizon flips the on switch? Or will a software update be required?
    11-07-2013 10:41 AM
    My confirmation of AWS was found at the following link Apple - iPhone 5 - View countries with supported LTE networks.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    11-07-2013 10:41 AM
    For that I have no idea, truthfully not even sure that Verizon will deploy AWS on band 4, I would suspect that the next version of the iPhone would be the one with more broad AWS support. AWS is still very new at a time that carriers are still building out their LTE networks.
    11-07-2013 10:44 AM
    According to this at least -> Verizon's Galaxy S 4 can now surf more LTE bands after Android 4.3 update VZW is rolling out AWS LTE over Band 4. This article talks about the Galaxy S4 firmware update that includes Band 4 support.
    11-07-2013 12:54 PM
    Looks like the screenshots in this article have all come from iPhones so the 5s appears to have the band available out of the box.
    Verizon's LTE boosted in 'major markets' by new frequency, hits 80 Mbps down (update)
    11-07-2013 02:05 PM
    No software upgrade would be required, it's already in the phone...when Verizon makes it available, and it is the optimal connection, the iPhone will connect to it as is.
    11-07-2013 02:53 PM
    And the benefit of AWS LTE?

I'm assuming generally increased call quality and reception. And Verizon phones finally being able to do what GSM phones like AT&T's do in terms of being on a call and using data at the same time.
    11-07-2013 04:41 PM
    And the benefit of AWS LTE?

I'm assuming generally increased call quality and reception. And Verizon phones finally being able to do what GSM phones like AT&T's do in terms of being on a call and using data at the same time.
    I believe AWS is 1700/2100MHz. Mostly it will help add capacity to Verizon's LTE coverage and supplement their original Band 13 (700MHz) LTE network. From a reception side, 700MHz has better in building penetration, and travels farther so they can space towers further apart. But since few phones can operate on VZW's Band 4 right now, (iPhone 5C and 5s, Galaxy S4, Note 3, and the Moto X either can or will with a future firmware update, those users will see speed increases using Band 4 because not many are on it so there is no congestion.

It will not help Verizon users do simultaneous Voice and Data. Verizon's (and Sprint's) iPhone 5 can't do simultaneous voice and data due to a missing antenna (long version -> AnandTech | Why the iPhone 5 Lacks Support for Simultaneous Voice and LTE or EVDO (SVLTE, SVDO) ). I believe the same holds true for why the 5C and 5S can't either. Verizon's other LTE phones, like the Moto X, Droids, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 can do simultaneous voice and data when on an LTE data connection (voice goes across the CDMA/1xRTT network, data goes via LTE), or if the phone is using Wifi for data (voice goes across the CDMA/1xRTT network, data goes via wifi). Some older Verizon phones, like the HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Rezound, Galaxy S3, can also do simultaneous voice and data over 3G/EVDO signal without wifi because of their radio chip setup.

In the future, when the carriers enable Voice Over LTE, then Verizon LTE iPhones should do simultaneous voice and data.
    11-08-2013 01:08 AM
    I believe AWS is 1700/2100MHz. Mostly it will help add capacity to Verizon's LTE coverage and supplement their original Band 13 (700MHz) LTE network. From a reception side, 700MHz has better in building penetration, and travels farther so they can space towers further apart. But since few phones can operate on VZW's Band 4 right now, (iPhone 5C and 5s, Galaxy S4, Note 3, and the Moto X either can or will with a future firmware update, those users will see speed increases using Band 4 because not many are on it so there is no congestion.

It will not help Verizon users do simultaneous Voice and Data. Verizon's (and Sprint's) iPhone 5 can't do simultaneous voice and data due to a missing antenna (long version -> AnandTech | Why the iPhone 5 Lacks Support for Simultaneous Voice and LTE or EVDO (SVLTE, SVDO) ). I believe the same holds true for why the 5C and 5S can't either. Verizon's other LTE phones, like the Moto X, Droids, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 can do simultaneous voice and data when on an LTE data connection (voice goes across the CDMA/1xRTT network, data goes via LTE), or if the phone is using Wifi for data (voice goes across the CDMA/1xRTT network, data goes via wifi). Some older Verizon phones, like the HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Rezound, Galaxy S3, can also do simultaneous voice and data over 3G/EVDO signal without wifi because of their radio chip setup.

In the future, when the carriers enable Voice Over LTE, then Verizon LTE iPhones should do simultaneous voice and data.
    That's what I said. Once AWS LTE is enabled, Verizon phones will be able to do voice and data simultaneously.
    11-08-2013 05:52 PM
    That's what I said. Once AWS LTE is enabled, Verizon phones will be able to do voice and data simultaneously.
    As well as have improved call clarity between users that are using AWS LTE
    11-09-2013 01:16 PM
    That's nothing like what was said in the response. The iPhone cannot do simultaneous voice and data because of hardware limitations in the device. AWS is just a different frequency, like 800, 900, 1900 MHz. The majority of other LTE phones can do simultaneous voice and data because of the way they are built. AWS has ZERO to do with the iPhones capability to use cellular voice/data. AWS is used ONLY for EXACTLY the same thing as the current 700 MHz LTE network, Data Only. It will not bring VoLTE to iPhones or any of the Windows/Android phones that are currently offered and capable of connecting to AWS. The only difference is access to faster data services that will be less crowded than the 700 MHz network.
    02-11-2014 01:16 PM
    As well as have improved call clarity between users that are using AWS LTE
    No, no no no no no!!!! No difference in call clarity. Verizon devices all exclusively use the CDMA network for voice. AWS is DATA ONLY!!!
    02-11-2014 01:17 PM