My Daughter and I have the Iphone 5s. We bought them a month apart from different locations (Best Buy and Verizon) . Neither of us can connect to the at our Gym. Both phones connect to our home Wifi fine. We are using Apple Time capsule/Airport Extreme for our home network router. Both phones see the network and ask for passwords then go into a eternal spin mode and never make a final connection. I have an Ipad mini running Ios7 that connects just fine. My 4s had no problems either.

This past weekend I went to several other public WiFi spots, coffee shops , grocery stores etc to see if the issue was a site specific one. I was unable to connect my 5s at these locations also

I spent a good bit of time on Apple Customer support Chat on Sunday and they concluded the Iphone 5s is the most advanced phone out there and the routers need to catch up to the technology and should be reset. Obviously I cannot got to each store.Wifi area and have them reset their routers. needless to say Apple was unaware of any connection issues and therefore had no solutions

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    11-05-2013 12:19 PM
    Usually when you connect to public places you have to go to safari to connect to the network.
    offdahglass and nikkisharif like this.
    11-05-2013 12:26 PM
    Safari dose launch at some locations but when I hit connect there is no connection. Once again, I did not have this problem in the past with my Iphone 4s or my Ipad mini. This seems t be a %s thing.

Thanks for the reply though
    11-05-2013 12:52 PM
    I had this problem this weekend at a hotel.

Although it eventually connected it took several attempts through Safari. It remembered the network after leaving the hotel for a few hours.

I have no problems with any private home networks of friends and family.

#Naked Tuesday
    11-05-2013 01:06 PM
    Try one or both of the tips below:

1. Reboot both devices
    2. Go to Settings->General->Reset and then select "Reset Network Settings".
    11-05-2013 01:59 PM
    JustME'd

I tried those last week. Nothing. I also tried, at Apple Support's recommendation backing up and restoring the phone from the computer.

Thanks though for your tips
    11-05-2013 03:25 PM
    After reading some post on Apple Support forums. Some users have had problems with pub wifi even on iPhone 4 and 4s.
    Some had success by turning off block pop ups in Safari settings. Another person had success by putting the phone in airplane mode then turning wifi on and they were able to connect then turn airplane off.
    Some one also did a factory reset and did not restore from backup. They believed it was a app conflict.

#Naked Tuesday
    11-05-2013 03:47 PM
    Thanks, iED I will give those a shot this evening
    11-05-2013 04:12 PM
    Go to Settings > WiFi and tap on the "i" next to the public network. Next, tap "Forget this Network" and try again.
    11-06-2013 09:08 AM
    The only time I've experienced a problem connecting to a public WiFi network is when that network was overwhelmed with traffic (IE: Turner Field, GA Dome, other large venues like hotels, etc). In many cases, in order to fully sign into the network, I have to open Safari and either register or verify on a automatically loaded page (when I've attempted to go to a website)...afterwards, it seems to work fairly flawlessly.

I have also found, at times, that some networks that are getting close to capacity will actually get stuck in a loop of trying to verify my device...forcing the iPhone to forget said network and retrying typically sorts that out.

If you're having issues with zero connection at all, I would highly suggest restoring or making a genius bar appointment, because I've had no issues signing into an available public WiFi network.
    11-06-2013 09:13 AM