If you could change just one thing about the iPhone 5s what would it be?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't change a thing about the iPhone 5S. I'll just wait and see what the next iPhone will feature.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I get the demand for screen size but you're also asking for higher resolution as well. If not doubled again, all apps will look like garbage on that bigger screen. Even if doubled, most will then be somewhat blurry.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I get the demand for screen size but you're also asking for higher resolution as well. If not doubled again, all apps will look like garbage on that bigger screen. Even if doubled, most will then be somewhat blurry.

I have no doubt they can increase resolution given every android competitor has been able to do it. The larger issue for me would be increasing screen size and resolution without decreasing battery life and killing any chance of one-handed use. There-in lies the challenge and reflects Cook's thoughts that he shared in recent interviews.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I have no doubt they can increase resolution given every android competitor has been able to do it. The larger issue for me would be increasing screen size and resolution without decreasing battery life and killing any chance of one-handed use. There-in lies the challenge and reflects Cook's thoughts that he shared in recent interviews.

Doubling the current iphone 5 resolution would bring it to 2272 x 1280. At 5" that would make it 522ppi. Pixel Calculator - PPI calculator, Aspect Ratio Calculator, Display Size Comparison Tool | PixelCalc.com

Which android maker has done the above? The Nexus 5 is 445ppi. The Galaxy S4 is 441ppi. Android is easier to do this with. iOS doesn't scale and therefore is way more challenging for Apple just to increase screen size because "every" android competitor can do it who don't have to worry about the effect on android apps. It will have way more consequences for Apple since it effects all iphone apps.

BTW..i think this will happen.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Doubling the current iphone 5 resolution would bring it to 2272 x 1280. At 5" that would make it 522ppi. Pixel Calculator - PPI calculator, Aspect Ratio Calculator, Display Size Comparison Tool | PixelCalc.com

Which android maker has done the above? The Nexus 5 is 445ppi. The Galaxy S4 is 441ppi. Android is easier to do this with. iOS doesn't scale and therefore is way more challenging for Apple just to increase screen size because "every" android competitor can do it who don't have to worry about the effect on android apps. It will have way more consequences for Apple since it effects all iphone apps.

I completely missed your point on its affects on apps. I was merely referring to android's ability to increase size and corresponding resolution. So yes, very good point and I apologize that I missed it first time around. To avoid further developer fragmentation, this would need to be addressed.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I completely missed your point on its affects on apps. I was merely referring to android's ability to increase size and corresponding resolution. So yes, very good point and I apologize that I missed it first time around. To avoid further developer fragmentation, this would need to be addressed.

No problems. It will be interesting to see what Apple actually does though. According to their definition of retina, 522ppi would be way overkill.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I know nobody is going to agree with this, but it would be awesome for me if the charge port was on the top of the phone rather than the bottom. That way when you are using your phone while its charging (which I always do) you could hold your phone a lot easier without that charge cord resting in the palm of your hand

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I know nobody is going to agree with this, but it would be awesome for me if the charge port was on the top of the phone rather than the bottom. That way when you are using your phone while its charging (which I always do) you could hold your phone a lot easier without that charge cord resting in the palm of your hand

The only issue I see with that would be the loss of use with docking stations. But I see what you are saying. I am personally ok with the location of the charging port but what really hampers me is where they have the headphones jack. It is right where my pinky finger wants to go. I would personally love to see it moved back to the top of the phone.

Ujjwal Agarwal

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
A nfc addition would be a killer though! its still good....almost everyone wants the screen size bigger now.so probably anything between 4.5 to 5 would be good :) probably they are working on iphone 6 for this and 6 will be definitely having bigger screen atleast bigger from 5s ;) eventually they have to do in order to stay and keep the grip in market and to compete with other companies :)

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
What I'd really like is more Touch ID. Really, if you could eliminate passwords almost entirely and keep the whole experience on iPhone Touch ID-centric, it would really make this phone better for me.

Other than that, I pretty much love this device. It's the nearest to perfection any phone has gone. Not to mention Touch ID...after seeing the disastrous Atrix, I never thought I'd see a scanner that takes less than a second to scan my fingerprint. It really has lots of potential.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
A nfc addition would be a killer though! its still good....almost everyone wants the screen size bigger now.so probably anything between 4.5 to 5 would be good :) probably they are working on iphone 6 for this and 6 will be definitely having bigger screen atleast bigger from 5s ;) eventually they have to do in order to stay and keep the grip in market and to compete with other companies :)

I think apples smaller screen is what keeps many people happy rather than going to the competition

jeremydc

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
One of the main reasons that I am getting the 5S is the screen size. I like it. Even though I have never owned an Iphone, I would want a larger battery and Swype lol.

leslie haw

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I would love a larger screen size and battery. The larger battery will probably result in a thicker and heavier phone but I think it'll be worth it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2