I wonder why did you choose iPhone 5s, instead of other iPhone, or even phone /w different OS?
    Because of touch ID? bigger storage capacity (in compare to e.g. 5c)? better resistance to screen shattering upon drops (e.g. in compare to 5c)? at least two time better performance? Exclusive gold colour? Ssssssslow motion in vids? or maby there are other reasons?
    Share your thoughts!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    11-01-2013 02:08 PM
    Because I had an iPhone 4S before which I loved, then I upgraded to BlackBerry 10 which is also fantastic but I wanted to get back to iOS.. I got the iPhone 5S but I also couldn't drop my BlackBerry 10. So I am rocking two phones now. The iPhone 5S and BlackBerry Z30.

The reason I got a 5S and not the 5 or 5C, because I love to have the latest tech when I am planning for an upgrade, and I hate plastic devices.

The Finger ID is really cool but not a reason I would buy a smartphone for, the A7 processor is also fantastic but I don't think it will matter that much for me since I don't play games on smartphones. So in the end, if I had an iPhone 5 I would have kept it, lucky Apple that I didn't, so I got a 5S.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app
    11-01-2013 02:23 PM
    Heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem and love the quality of their products.
    11-01-2013 03:30 PM
    Coming from the iphone 5, my first reason was the camera. Second, is that I prefer IOS to Android. Third is that I prefer Apple's App Store to Google Play.

The rest sort of falls into place. I honestly have not experienced a noticeable increase in battery life or noticeable speed over the 5. I do not use the touch ID. I did not get the gold. So some of the obvious reasons for some did not factor into my decision.
    Amy wineBerry likes this.
    11-01-2013 03:38 PM
    The iPhone has the optimal screen size for my needs. Liked the build quality of Apple products and well as the customer service. Played around with my brother's Galaxy S4 and found it was a bit too big. Switching from a BlackBerry Torch to the 5s, it was a monumental leap, it feels like the heavens opened up and angels started to sing. Not to mention I have lots of stuff from iTunes.
    11-01-2013 04:11 PM
    Went from a Palm Pre to Android...which was a fine device and platform. I have a MacBook Pro & an iPad so decided I would finally give the iPhone a shot. Waited for the next one to release after my tw years was up and it happened to be the 5S. If my battery lasted longer than an hour I may have tried to hold out for the 6...but it was time to upgrade.
    11-01-2013 04:41 PM
    When I'm using a top tier device, I want to replace it with a top tier device...the 5S was the natural choice. It was just an added bonus that it had a slew of new features, functions and polish over the previous generation that will keep me more than satisfied, and the fact that I'm deeply invested into the Apple ecosystem makes it seamlessly fit into my life (from my living room to my office and everywhere in between).
    11-01-2013 04:53 PM
    I came from android to iPhone. I had a 5 for awhile but never really cared for it, went back to android but in the end I got tired of all the stuff I use to do (Roms, customizing) I went from changing up my home screens to just having blank ones. I switched to virgin mobile USA and had a low end phone and was bored, the camera sucked and the eye phones specs caught my eye. Virgin had the 16gig for 549 so I bought one and have zero complaints. The screen is a bit smaller than I'm use to but it's useable, the camera is great and virgin (aka sprint) is the best carrier at my home location. I have a top end phone, unlimited data and I pay 45 a month.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk - now Free
    11-01-2013 04:57 PM
    Curiosity was part of the reason. I never owned an iPhone and had family members that swore by their iPhones and would never switch. I was getting really annoyed with Android, and the sizes of the majority of smartphones were getting a bit large for my liking. Once Apple came out with the bigger screen on the iPhone 5, I started to seriously begin looking into trying out the iPhone. Once I had an upgrade available, the 5s came out so I bit the bullet. I don't regret the decision at all. I'm still getting used ios, but I think it's a great phone and I'm having a lot of fun with it.
    nikkisharif and Edmilan like this.
    11-01-2013 05:47 PM
    I always preferred apples iOS to androids os. I like the compatibility with my life that Apple offers, and I enjoy updating to the newest hardware.
    11-01-2013 06:09 PM
    Because it's an upgrade from my i5. I upgrade every year!
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-01-2013 06:22 PM
    I was using my Droid Maxx and thought about "test driving" the 5S. I'm starting to like it the more I use it, but yesterday maps really let me down turned a 25 min drive into a 45 min one and I was late.
    11-01-2013 08:36 PM
    Touch ID- great
    iOS 7- it's a major upgrade and I couldn't resist, I wanted to try it out.
    App Store- better than Google Play
    11-01-2013 10:25 PM
    I had a 5 and I upgrade my phones every year. I left Android a year and a half ago by default because I hated Sprint and all that was available at my local Verizon was an iPhone 4S or a Moto Razr and I really hated Motorola at the time. I ended keeping the iPhone & upgrading to the 5 & now the 5S because its also easier. I travel a lot for work and I have peace of mind knowing my phone just works. I've considered going back to Android but I can't stand the fact that the carrier has control over OS upgrades and so much other stuff. Plus I like the fact that I can spend less time tweaking/customizing my phone & more time actually using it.
    Edmilan and Eddster like this.
    11-01-2013 10:48 PM
    I had the iPhone 4 since launch. Finally decided to use my upgrade eligibility... And if I'm waiting another 2 years, I wanted top of the range. The 5C is an amazing phone, but how I feel about it today, might change after the first 12 months of a 24 month contract.

And I went with another iPhone for a few reasons:

1) because my recent experience with my Nexus 4 was not that satisfying

2) I have little interest in Windows phones, as my home computer is a Mac, not PC

3) blackberry phones of late have been disappointing. Great OS. But if I went BB, I'd want the Z30, and I didn't want to wait for it to be officially released in the US
    11-01-2013 11:01 PM
    I had a Nexus 4 and it is a good phone. The battery and camera killed it for me. I left for Korea in Feb and needed a global phone at a cheap price. The Nexus 4 was the best choice. After landing in Korea, the camera just was't up to par. I started to ask friends with the 4s to take pictures and send it or tag me in it instead. The battery was an issue as well even though it did improve with 4.3. Korea parties hard and it sucked that my phone was dead by Midnight.

Now that I can actually afford it, I decided to bite the bullet on the 5s. The simplicity and optimization of the software should be a nice change.

However, I love the swype stock keyboard and the customization when needed but the camera is way too important to me.
    nikkisharif and WILLAW84 like this.
    11-01-2013 11:05 PM
    I choose the iPhone 5s because there is nothing like it. It offers a seamless, high quality experience with any application that can cater to your needs. After my revolting note 3 fiasco , I realised this....
    The iPhone generation just gets better and better

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    TheRewardisCheese and Eddster like this.
    11-01-2013 11:58 PM
    I had a 5 and I upgrade my phones every year. I left Android a year and a half ago by default because I hated Sprint and all that was available at my local Verizon was an iPhone 4S or a Moto Razr and I really hated Motorola at the time. I ended keeping the iPhone & upgrading to the 5 & now the 5S because its also easier. I travel a lot for work and I have peace of mind knowing my phone just works. I've considered going back to Android but I can't stand the fact that the carrier has control over OS upgrades and so much other stuff. Plus I like the fact that I can spend less time tweaking/customizing my phone & more time actually using it.
    I couldn't agree more. I love the fact that Apple and NOT the carriers controls the user experience and software update schedule for iPhones. And at the end of the day, as feature packed as some of the Android phones are, I just felt like iOS is more polished and I love the way all my Apple devices work so seamlessly together.
    HAWK and nikkisharif like this.
    11-02-2013 12:10 AM
    With the dual core processor and 64gb memory, I feel confident I'll have a phone that'll be able to handle whatever might come down the pike over the next 2-3 years. Things are moving up fast and who knows where things will be in 2016 or beyond... I also like the finger print button. It makes it easier to get into my phone while offering a higher level of security.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-02-2013 12:37 AM
    High class design,fast,high quality,wll built,fit in my pocket,im full emotional when its come to my iphone....a crush
    11-02-2013 01:54 AM
    I came from Windows Phone and just started to look for a new phone that would be small and easy to carry around. With the fingerprint sensor offering another layer of protection and with having heard good things about how great iOS is, I decided to test it out. While I'm not yet convinced that iOS is, as an operating systems, superior to WP in any way the overall experience with iPhone has so far been good for me. Android was never a real choice for me because the flag-ship models are damn huge tablet-size pieces of plastic and I didn't want a phone that would be out of memeory and processing power in a year. Also, I'm not too keen about investing into virus-protection for my phone right from the start if there is an option for other platform (WP and iOS) that are virus-free and by design of the application-shops less exposed.
    11-02-2013 05:21 AM
    I liked the 5s because of the slow motion. The fingerprint sensor and A7 chips are nice, but I know that they will be much better when the 6 arrives.
    11-02-2013 08:40 AM
    I switched back to an iPhone from a Lumia 920 because Apple finally enabled significant lockscreen access to the phone in iOS 7. This was one of the primary reasons I switched to WP7 and WP8 in the first place. I may be in the minority, but I love iOS 7.

Also, two of my biggest frustrations with WP were carrier interference with updates and media. Microsoft, for all its clout and money, still has no significant control over the distribution of WP updates. True, it's better than dealing with the Android update circus, but Apple is the undisputed champion of mobile OS updating. And all of my music, movies and other media are managed through iTunes. Managing media on my 920 was a chore compared with the simplicity and reliability of iTunes. (Yes, I said it and stand by it. I still don't understand all the love for Zune/Xbox Music.)

But which iPhone to get? I specifically chose the 5S over the 5C for the following reasons:
    • A7 processor
    • M7 motion processor
    • Camera capabilities
    • Touch ID

The 5S has tremendous potential. I'm really looking forward to the next generation of 64-bit motion-aware apps.
    Last edited by doublebullout; 11-02-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    11-02-2013 08:46 AM
    I switched back to an iPhone from a Lumia 920 because Apple finally enabled significant lockscreen access to the phone in iOS 7. This was one of the primary reasons I switched to WP7 and WP8 in the first place. I may be in the minority, but I love iOS 7.

But which iPhone to get? I specifically chose the 5S over the 5C for the following reasons:
    • A7 processor
    • M7 motion processor
    • Camera capabilities
    • Touch ID

The 5S has tremendous potential. I'm really looking forward to the next generation of 64-bit motion-aware apps.
    You know the fact that WP offered a lot more information right there on the lockscreen is one of the things I'm missing right now. From what you said I suppose the same is doable now on iOS 7, too, but I guess most apps don't utilize it yet.
    doublebullout likes this.
    11-02-2013 09:00 AM
    You know the fact that WP offered a lot more information right there on the lockscreen is one of the things I'm missing right now. From what you said I suppose the same is doable now on iOS 7, too, but I guess most apps don't utilize it yet.
    I actually felt the same way about WP8 -- until I tried iOS 7. The lockscreen access is underutilized by WP developers, even today. And lockscreen control is limited to one app at a time anyway (e.g. Amazing Weather or Bing, but not both at the same time.) Notifications in WP, supposedly a big feature of the OS, is overrated. The lockscreen only shows the number of new notifications on icons, not the notifications themselves. The WP8 lockscreen is much more functional than the iOS 6 lockscreen, no question about it. But the iOS 7 lockscreen is much more powerful and better supported at this time than WP8's.
    11-02-2013 09:15 AM
38 12