Apple confirmed bad battery life on 'very limited' iPhone 5s models

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh, you really need to cut the crap. There's no sim free option on the website and I'm not buying any other way. we're not talking about the 5C, we're talking about the 5S. We're in the 5S forum, not the 5C forum. If you want to talk about the 5C, we can go to that forum.

I didn't have any complaints about the 5C, if I had complaints about the 5C, I would've complained in the 5C forum. But that is not the case, I had problems with the 5S.

Sure leaves a bad taste in your mouth, that's for sure.

Speaking of cutting crap... this thread has ZERO to do with unlocked devices... if you want to discuss that, find an existing thread on topic or create one...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Going to a carrier store with the intention of getting an unlocked phone is not proper. You would either by unlocked, like a regular person would. Or deal with carriers, and I'm not dealing with them, I don't have time for it.

When you walk into a carrier store, the first thing they are going to try to do is sell you their plans, they're not going to offer you an unlocked phone, if anything, they'll try to trick you.

But I really don't have time to talk on the phone all day with AT&T customer support. I would just buy unlocked from Apple like a regular person.

You guys are living in another world, unavailable for store pick up on their app. Apple geniuses telling you that there is no unlocked version on launch day. 2 to 3 weeks shipping dates which are not set in stone. Walking into a carrier store to get an unlocked phone. No.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Walking to the store and say I want to buy full price, device only is not some kind of secret lingo that these guys are going to know.

Actually, Apple associates are not even permitted to sell you a carrier phone device only.

And this is why you don't have the phone you really want. And it makes you feel better to bash the 5s and the A7 chip and Apple in several post.
It makes no sense. Why would I for example bash the 5c. Anyone that has the 5c chose it and I like reading about how much they love their 5c.

It seems as though everyone has what they like 4 4s 5 5s 5c. Everyone has what they like except you. That's not Apples problem, ATT's problem, Verizon's problem or Sprints problem. It's your problem.
The game is what it is, locked, unlocked sim, no sim, LTE, 4G, 3G, Genius, no Genius. You don't like it don't play. Their are plenty of paper cups and string in stock at the Supermarket in your town and you don't have to camp out to get them.

#Naked Tuesday

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Oh, you really need to cut the crap. There's no sim free option on the website and I'm not buying any other way.

and you are certainly entitled to that decision... but don't try and justify that decision as Apple's fault for not offering an unlocked iPhone, as you clearly had options to get an unlocked iPhone. People here have done it. It's proven.

and again, please, explain how a SIM-Free unlocked iPhone 5S would differ from a carrier unlocked 5S in construction or function in any way shape or form. You can use the SIM Free unlocked iPhone 5C vs carrier unlocked iPhone 5C for reference as it should make things more clear for you.

And the funny thing is, they sell the unlocked version of the 5S in Canada.

https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/#mn_p

Cool. Guess what model that phone is? A1533... guess how it differs from an AT&T iPhone 5S that has been unlocked by AT&T?

Last edited:

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
and you are certainly entitled to that decision... but don't try and justify that decision as Apple's fault for not offering an unlocked iPhone, as you clearly had options to get an unlocked iPhone. People here have done it. It's proven.

and again, please, explain how a SIM-Free unlocked iPhone 5S would differ from a carrier unlocked 5S in construction or function in any way shape or form. You can use the SIM Free unlocked iPhone 5C vs carrier unlocked iPhone 5C for reference as it should make things more clear for you.

The main thing is the receipt. It has to say unlocked on the receipt.

And also I'm not really understanding how you would get an unlocked phone from a carrier. I've never been inside of the Verizon store so what is it exactly that you're telling the associates?

I just don't understand going to Verizon to get a phone that I'm not even going to use on Verizon. I don't understand getting a T-Mobile iPhone that I'm not going to use on T-Mobile.

That's crazy, if I ever had any problems with the phone I couldn't just go straight to Apple with my receipt and say oh I have problems with this phone can I get it exchanged. Wouldn't you have to go back to the Verizon store?

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

And also I'm not really understanding how you would get an unlocked phone from a carrier. I've never been inside of the Verizon store so what is it exactly that you're telling the associates?

So the difference between an iPhone 5S, sold SIM Free and unlocked, and an AT&T iPhone 5S, that has been unlocked by AT&T since you paid full price... the difference that kept you from buying one, is that one says "Unlocked" on the receipt?

also, NO ONE IS TELLING YOU TO GET AN UNLOCKED PHONE FROM THE CARRIER STORE. Go to the Apple Store

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So the difference between an iPhone 5S, sold SIM Free and unlocked, and an AT&T iPhone 5S, that has been unlocked by AT&T since you paid full price... the difference that kept you from buying one, is that one says "Unlocked" on the receipt?

also, NO ONE IS TELLING YOU TO GET AN UNLOCKED PHONE FROM THE CARRIER STORE. Go to the Apple Store

Okay well I went to the Apple Store, they told me they had a Verizon 64 GB space gray, which I could've bought but then again it wasn't unlocked so what are you talking about?

Should I have just told them that okay I'll buy it, but I just want the device only and watch them while they sign me up for a Verizon plan? You know I tried that before. That doesn't work.

If I could just waltzed into the Apple store and ask them for an unlocked phone from any of the carriers, we wouldn't even be talking right now. Can't do what you're insinuating that I would've been able to do.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That's crazy, if I ever had any problems with the phone I couldn't just go straight to Apple with my receipt and say oh I have problems with this phone can I get it exchanged. Wouldn't you have to go back to the Verizon store?

You can always go back to Apple. They don't care where you got the phone from, as long as it isn't reported stolen. It's an Apple product and they're going to back it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You poor thing...all this arguing and telling people they are wrong and you say this? You do realize that you never have to set foot in a carrier store to own an iPhone, correct? I haven't been in an AT&T store for purchase or service since the iPhone 3G, and I only bought that there because of a credit for the store I was using.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I just don't understand going to Verizon to get a phone that I'm not even going to use on Verizon. I don't understand getting a T-Mobile iPhone that I'm not going to use on T-Mobile.

You don't need a receipt to get service at a Apple Store. I got my phone from a Sprint store. Got AC+ at a Apple with no receipt. The Genius knows when and where I bought it. I've never taken a iPhone back to the carrier for anything.

#Naked Tuesday

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
If you did buy from a carrier, Apple will not give you your money back. If you buy from the Apple Store, carrier phones can't be sold as unlocked phones. So how are you getting them unlocked?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If you did but from a carrier, Apple will not give you your money back. If you do but from the Apple Store, carrier phones can't be sold as unlocked phones. So how are you getting them unlocked?

My Verizon model came unlocked...I got it from Best Buy because I refused to stand in line at Apple on launch day. I ordered on Best Buy's site and chose in-store pick up.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe all Verizon 5S models are sold as unlocked. Just like they did with the Verizon 5

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
As far as Apple is concerned, it is the same model regardless of carrier for ATT, Verizon, and Tmobile. The only thing that determines whether it is unlocked, is an entry in the carrier's database. Which can be done before you purchase it, immediately after purchase if you pay full price, or even in the middle of a contract provided you pay the ETF.

There is no such thing as a "carrier phone" in the Apple world. Carrier is determined by the SIM card you put in it.

In contrast to what you just said, then why will Apple only sell through carriers on the Apple app on their website and the Apple Store?

Liked the previous poster stated, I kind of like the idea of getting the unlocked phone from Best Buy. But a lot of times stores have special promotions that you can't get at the Apple store not sure what the policy is on the unlocked phones but I guess you just have to shop around.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
If you did buy from a carrier, Apple will not give you your money back. If you do buy from the Apple Store, carrier phones can't be sold as unlocked phones. So how are you getting them unlocked?

Correct. If you bought from a carrier store, you would have to return the phone to that carrier store and seek a refund from them. Not Apple.

If you buy from an Apple Store, the carrier iPhones can not be sold as "unlocked" at the Apple Store... as in, it will not say the word "unlocked" on the receipt.

But, if you buy any iPhone from the Apple Store at full retail price without a 2-year carrier contract, the carrier will unlock it. You have 30-days from the date of purchase to return that iPhone to the Apple Store for a full refund if you are unable to get the phone unlocked by the carrier.

People have done it. We've explained how to do it. If you didn't want to do it this way, that is your choice. But it can be done. Owning an iPhone 5S unlocked is a not dependent on it being offered directly from Apple on their website as "Unlocked" or "SIM Free".

Getting a carrier iPhone unlocked does not change Apple's coverage of that phone. It is still covered under full warranty by Apple and can be serviced or replaced at any Apple Store.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
In contrast to what you just said, then why will Apple only sell through carriers on the Apple app on their website and the Apple Store?

Not sure why it's set up like that, but I know for a fact that the T-mobile contract free model sold online is unlocked. Unfortunately, its seems that the T-mobile option isn't available in the Apple Store app, but you can always scroll to the bottom of the app & open up the full site.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
^ I'm correct.

Maybe I don't shop the old fashioned way, because I'm younger but literally it is not on their website or app. Geniuses will also turn you down. And if somebody bought me an "unlocked" iPhone 5s bought from AT&T or Verizon for Christmas, I would take it back and get the Sim-Free version. I will never walk into a carrier store, and come out with an iPhone. It's simply from Apple or nothing. My way or the highway.

You're not nearly important enough to have that stance on shopping.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro