Apple confirmed bad battery life on 'very limited' iPhone 5s models

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
^ Oh yeah, I don't do that. Every Apple device I buy just falls right into my hands. I live just feet away from an Apple store in my university town.

That'd being said, I reviewed the 5s and c before I purchased of course. And I figured I wanted something a little different this time, since I was coming from the 5.

If you expect every Apple device to "fall right in your hands" that's some spoiled brat $hit right there friend. Seems as though you are upset that you didn't get a unlocked 5S.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's not that serious. I think that would be a waste of gas.

When I heard that people were camping out weeks prior, I just thought that was crazy. lol they didn't even improve the battery life. lol

People have been camping out for iPhones since 2007. Whats the shock in that. It happens every year like Xmas

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

When I heard that people were camping out weeks prior, I just thought that was crazy. lol they didn't even improve the battery life. lol

Now I know you're just trolling. Nobody was camping out for "weeks." I suggest we stop posting and let this thread die, guys.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Lots of people thought the 5S was going to be a flop. "Oh it doesn't have a bigger screen" "It's just an iPhone 5 with a 'S' on it" Despite the pessimism, Apple had almost double the 5S's available for purchase on launch weekend, compared to the iPhone 5 release last year.

The demand was higher than anyone could predict. Even Apple.

Because the demand is so high, people are, on average, having to work to get what they want, when they want it. What might be a "waste of gas" to you is perfectly reasonable to others in the pursuit of what they desire. Some are getting it by dumb luck, but overall luck has little to do with it. It takes effort to secure a 5S. No luck necessary, unless you are unwilling to put in the effort.

Really, it is very simple:

If you are willing to put in the effort, and are impatient, you will find a 5S for in-store pickup.

If you are unwilling to put in the effort, but are wiling to be patient, then a 5S will come to you eventually by ordering online.

If you are both unwilling to put in the effort, and are impatient, it will take pure dumb luck to come across a 5S in the closest Apple store to you.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I fully expected to be able to get either of the phones at the drop of a hat. And I'm only going to call once or twice, Apple employees say, "No we don't have—" That's it.

It's funny how you guys are ignoring the fact that the SIM free version is available for one phone but not the other.

Of course I could've gotten the 5c T-Mobile contract free and Verizon, but I didn't. I got the unlocked option.

There is no unlocked option for the 5s, and you can't deny it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I fully expected to be able to get either of the phones at the drop of a hat. And I'm only going to call once or twice, Apple employees say, "No we don't have?" That's it.

It's funny how you guys are ignoring the fact that the SIM free version is available for one phone but not the other.

Of course I could've gotten the 5c T-Mobile contract free and Verizon, but I didn't. I got the unlocked option.

6egyde7y.jpg

#Naked Tuesday

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

We are not ignoring it. We are simply affording it the attention it deserves in this discussion, which is very little. When buying at full retail price, the label of "SIM Free" is a purely semantic issue.

As I provided in another thread, the model number and supported LTE bands and carrier services between the AT&T, T-Mobile, and SIM-Free Unlocked version are all the same. If you get a carrier locked 5S, and get it unlocked since you've paid full price, it is technologically identical to a SIM-Free model. This is true of the 5C which has the option for SIM-Free.

No one is denying that the 5S is not currently available as a SIM-Free version, and the 5C currently is... we are simply pointing out that a 5S does not need to be SIM-Free to also be unlocked.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I think one thing you are very unclear on, is that SIM-Free is the only way to get unlocked. SIM-Free means exactly what the name implies. That when you buy the phone, it does not come with a SIM card... hence it is SIM Free.

When you buy a carrier version of the 5S, and get it unlocked because you paid full price, the only difference between it, and a SIM-Free version, is that it came with a carrier SIM. Use the SIM tool, pull the SIM out, throw it overhand at the nearest wall, and your carrier unlocked 5S is now SIM Free.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I think one thing you are very unclear on, is that SIM-Free is the only way to get unlocked. SIM-Free means exactly what the name implies. That when you buy the phone, it does not come with a SIM card... hence it is SIM Free.

When you buy a carrier version of the 5S, and get it unlocked because you paid full price, the only difference between it, and a SIM-Free version, is that it came with a carrier SIM. Use the SIM tool, pull the SIM out, throw it overhand at the nearest wall, and your carrier unlocked 5S is now SIM Free.

Word

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
^ I'm correct.

Maybe I don't shop the old fashioned way, because I'm younger but literally it is not on their website or app. Geniuses will also turn you down. And if somebody bought me an "unlocked" iPhone 5s bought from AT&T or Verizon for Christmas, I would take it back and get the Sim-Free version. I will never walk into a carrier store, and come out with an iPhone. It's simply from Apple or nothing. My way or the highway.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^ I'm correct.

Maybe I don't shop the old fashioned way, because I'm younger but literally it is not on their website or app. Geniuses will also turn you down. And if somebody bought me an "unlocked" iPhone 5s bought from AT&T or Verizon for Christmas, I would take it back and get the Sim Free version. I will never walk into a carrier sore, and come out with an iPhone. It's simply from Apple or nothing. My way or the highway.

What you said literally made no sense...so you make a personal decision to put zero effort into anything regarding the iPhone. Congratulations on your proud laziness. Don't confuse your laziness with lack of option though, that's like saying there's no option to wash your car because there's no one out there to do it for you.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
What you said literally made no sense...so you make a personal decision to put zero effort into anything regarding the iPhone. Congratulations on your proud laziness. Don't confuse your laziness with lack of option though, that's like saying there's no option to wash your car because there's no one out there to do it for you.

Going to a carrier store with the intention of getting an unlocked phone is not proper. You would either by unlocked, like a regular person would. Or deal with carriers, and I'm not dealing with them, I don't have time for it.

When you walk into a carrier store, the first thing they are going to try to do is sell you their plans, they're not going to offer you an unlocked phone, if anything, they'll try to trick you.

But I really don't have time to talk on the phone all day with AT&T customer support. I would just buy unlocked from Apple like a regular person.

You guys are living in another world, unavailable for store pick up on their app. Apple geniuses telling you that there is no unlocked version on launch day. 2 to 3 weeks shipping dates which are not set in stone. Walking into a carrier store to get an unlocked phone. And you still say it's widely available? No.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Walking to the store and say I want to buy "full price," or "device only" is not some kind of secret lingo that these guys are going to know.

Actually, Apple associates are not even permitted to sell you a carrier phone device only.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Bringing this back to topic...

Seeing reports via twitter that the process for customers and devices involved with the issue will be called by Apple directly to facilitate a device swap... at a GeniusBar in an Apple store, a swap at an Apple Authorized reseller - or via Apple's exchange by mail system... customers with battery issues can also contact Apple, and reps will be able to take the device's serial number and check if the phone is a part of the batch with issues - and will initiate a swap if it is, or initiate customary trouble shooting if the device is not among the batch involved.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
blah blah blah blah blah...

I bought mine from the Apple store...never talked to one carrier representative, simply went online, submitted the form and it was unlocked in about 30min. There was literally almost ZERO effort put towards having my gold iPhone 5S purchased and unlocked, I put more effort into getting lunch today, lol. But again, you've expressed your inability to do even the most basic task when it comes to these iPhone's, apparently "otherworldly" efforts to have what you want, so this is all wasted on you anyways.

Hilariously though, I find it rather odd that you're this upset and this hung up on the 5S when you said you were perfectly happy with the 5c. Seems someone might be lying to themselves about how satisfied they really are with the phone they settled on because they weren't willing to give up a few minutes of their lives to have an unlocked iPhone 5S. Enjoy your 5c buddy...I'm done with the conversation (as it has become hilariously pointless now).

To retort back to the original topic, it's really pretty cool that Apple is reaching out to these isolated pockets of people with battery issues to assist them with getting a replacement product. Going back to Apple's top tier customer service, this is just not something you would find from other manufacturers.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
^ I'm correct.

Maybe I don't shop the old fashioned way, because I'm younger but literally it is not on their website or app. Geniuses will also turn you down. And if somebody bought me an "unlocked" iPhone 5s bought from AT&T or Verizon for Christmas, I would take it back and get the Sim-Free version. I will never walk into a carrier store, and come out with an iPhone. It's simply from Apple or nothing. My way or the highway.

I'm not sure why "unlocked" is in quotations, as I'm sure if someone did buy you an AT&T iPhone 5S, that AT&T has unlocked, and they threw away the AT&T SIM card... you would not even be able to tell it was an AT&T phone to start with, unless they told you it was.

As I've said multiple times, the only difference between a SIM-Free unlocked iPhone and a carrier unlocked iPhone is that the carrier iPhone originally came with a carrier SIM.

Geniuses will "turn you down" because they do not have the ability to lock or unlock a phone. The carriers hold that power. If the carrier refused to unlock an iPhone you paid full price for, you have 30-days to return it for a full refund.

Also, no one has told you to go to a carrier store.

Everyone is entitled to go about their purchase of their own iPhone the way they see fit. But don't complain that you couldn't get an unlocked iPhone 5S when you clearly could. The only person keeping you from getting one, was you. Not Apple. Your need for it to be labeled and sold as "SIM-Free" is the only hurdle you had to overcome... and as anyone on this forum will tell you, that actually owns an unlocked iPhone 5S, SIM Free or otherwise, carrier unlocked is as unlocked as unlocked can be.

Explain how a SIM-Free unlocked iPhone 5S differs from a carrier unlocked 5S in construction or function in any way shape or form. They are the exact same model, as I've shown in another thread in regards to this same subject.

Going to a carrier store with the intention of getting an unlocked phone is not proper. You would either by unlocked, like a regular person would. Or deal with carriers, and I'm not dealing with them, I don't have time for it...

...Actually, Apple associates are not even permitted to sell you a carrier phone device only.

Again, no one said to go to a carrier store. Go to the Apple store... and people here, from experience, certainly have gone to the Apple store and purchased a carrier phone full price.

But I really don't have time to talk on the phone all day with AT&T customer support. I would just buy unlocked from Apple like a regular person

You don't have to be on the phone all day with a carriers customer service.

You guys are living in another world, unavailable for store pick up on their app. Apple geniuses telling you that there is no unlocked version on launch day. 2 to 3 weeks shipping dates which are not set in stone. Walking into a carrier store to get an unlocked phone. And you still say it's widely available? No.

They certainly are available for in-store pickup. But when they are, people buy them. You have to be quick.

Apple Geniuses are telling you there is no unlocked version because it is not up to them, or Apple to unlock a carrier phone. It is the carrier that does the unlocking. Which SeanHRCC has provided a link to the form to get a carrier locked iPhone unlocked in 30 minutes.

Probably 10 million people around the world have an iPhone 5S, within a month of release. I'd call that pretty widely available.

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

That much is obvious.

Last edited:

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh, you really need to cut the crap. There's no sim free option on the website and I'm not buying any other way. we're not talking about the 5C, we're talking about the 5S. We're in the 5S forum, not the 5C forum. If you want to talk about the 5C, we can go to that forum.

I didn't have any complaints about the 5C, if I had complaints about the 5C, I would've complained in the 5C forum. But that is not the case, I had problems with the 5S.

Sure leaves a bad taste in your mouth, that's for sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods