Notifications on iPhone..

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, as i have pointed out in my other threads I am an xperia z1 (android) owner and am switching to iPhone 5S in a couple of days. I was just wondering how ios handles notifications? I mean, for example, I am a heavy twitter user. If someone retweets me or replies to my tweet or mentions me, will I get a notification saying "so and so retweeted 'my tweet'" or is there some other way it displays in the notification center?
In essence, what i am asking is how does ios display notifications? Are they completely informative or just general?
I was worried after reading this article..

Android is better — PaulStamatiou.com
Sent from my C6902 using iMore Forums mobile app

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, as i have pointed out in my other threads I am an xperia z1 (android) owner and am switching to iPhone 5S in a couple of days. I was just wondering how ios handles notifications? I mean, for example, I am a heavy twitter user. If someone retweets me or replies to my tweet or mentions me, will I get a notification saying "so and so retweeted 'my tweet'" or is there some other way it displays in the notification center?
In essence, what i am asking is how does ios display notifications? Are they completely informative or just general?

Android is better — PaulStamatiou.com

If you're talking about actionable notifications, no iOS does not have that yet but the default setting for notifications is banners sort of like the status bar notifications in Android but yes if you have push notifications set up for your twitter client you will be notified when someone retweets, etc. There are also lockscreen notifications that show a preview of the information on the screen something which stock Android doesn't have but the Moto X has something similar with its active notifications.

I would give a slight advantage to Android for actionable notifications but I really like the way iOS handles them.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I am aware that ios doesn't have actionable notifications yet. Frankly, I have never ever used the actionable notifications on Android either. The only actionable notifications I ever saw are:
1. Gmail gives options to archive or reply
2. You can choose to call back a missed call or send message
3. Sms can be replied to or called back.
No third party app, as far as I know, gives actionable notifications..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Android is better ?€” PaulStamatiou.com

If the ability to direct reply from the notification is of the upmost importance to you, you may be let down a bit (for now) with iOS's handling of such.

There is good news (potentially) though, as OSX now has actionable notifications, and my guess is with the popularity of that addition in OSX, iOS is only a hair behind on getting such a feature.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If the ability to direct reply from the notification is of the upmost importance to you, you may be let down a bit (for now) with iOS's handling of such.

There is good news (potentially) though, as OSX now has actionable notifications, and my guess is with the popularity of that addition in OSX, iOS is only a hair behind on getting such a feature.

No, as i pointed out, I don't really use actionable notifications on Android either. I just wanted to understand if ios gives notification saying for example "you have unread notifications in twitter "or does if say" Steve jobs retweeted you"? :) In other words are ios notifications specific (like android) or are they general?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No, as i pointed out, I don't really use actionable notifications on Android either. I just wanted to understand if ios gives notification saying for example "you have unread notifications in twitter "or does if say" Steve jobs retweeted you"? :) In other words are ios notifications specific (like android) or are they general?

Very sorry, didn't see your post right above my response...

Here's a generic look at iOS 7's notification center in use over a few different plug ins...as you can see, it's pretty detailed.

notification-center-ios7.png

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Very sorry, didn't see your post right above my response...

Here's a generic look at iOS 7's notification center in use over a few different plug ins...as you can see, it's pretty detailed.

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/notification-center-ios7.png

Thanks a lot. That clears it up. Notifications appear quite detailed, almost detailed enough to not have to go into the app at all. I also feel that Apple have utilized the small screen very very well, displaying a lot of information without becoming muddled.. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot. That clears it up. Notifications appear quite detailed, almost detailed enough to not have to go into the app at all. I also feel that Apple have utilized the small screen very very well, displaying a lot of information without becoming muddled.. :)

One of the true marvels of iOS 7 is the space optimization (in my opinion)...people complain about the stagnant and almost "clinical" look of it all, but when you start getting a lot of information on one screen (like the notification center brings), you become thankful of such a clean cut build.

But like you said, it almost makes you not need to open the app, which is where the actionable notification would really shine. They'll almost assuredly be there before the next iPhone comes out (in my opinion), or at the very least, WITH the next iPhone.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

I get Tweet notifications and yes there is enough info displayed to determine whether you need to go the app or not.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW