LTE service

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed the past couple of days my phone does not have LTE. It goes from 4G back to LTE. Does that mean LTE towers are down?

Sent from my 5s iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that your wireless provider could be experiencing problems with their network. Give 'em a call and ask....:)...If they have a status update page, check it out.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
the phone also, im sure, uses algorithms to determine the best combination of signal strength vs battery drain. in the same area, you could get one dot of LTE and full dots of 3G/4G. in order to conserve battery life, the phone may aternate between what it feels is the best option. all of this would most likely be due to a current network issue. however, if both networks are fine and this happens often, it could also be a software/hardware error with the phone. but my money is on its more likely a network issue that will resolve itself.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I turned off wifi just to see what I got. I got 3 dots of 4G then went right back to 2 dots of LTE. Is that more then likely an AT&T issue in my area?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I turned off wifi just to see what I got. I got 3 dots of 4G then went right back to 2 dots of LTE. Is that more then likely an AT&T issue in my area?

When the cellular network initiates, sometimes it will connect to 4G first and then to LTE...most times you won't see it, sometimes you will. This just sounds like normal network fluctuation from your carrier. My iPhone, especially when I enter into shielded federal facilities, will bounce between a moderate 4G signal and a moderate LTE signal (depending on what areas of the building I'm in and if there are any windows in the area). It's called building penetration...

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed (on Verizon, anyway) that when my LTE gets to 2 bars and below, it will occasionally revert to 3G (which gives me full bars.)

I am going to assume, this may also be happening to you, and it may be a battery saving feature (like someone else mentioned before me)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed (on Verizon, anyway) that when my LTE gets to 2 bars and below, it will occasionally revert to 3G (which gives me full bars.)

I am going to assume, this may also be happening to you, and it may be a battery saving feature (like someone else mentioned before me)

It's not so much a battery saving feature as it is an optimized usage feature...it figures that a weak LTE signal is not as good as a full 3G/4G signal, so it will flip back and worth. To be honest, the changing out data network like that is not optimal for better battery life, so I doubt it has anything to do with battery savings at all (since it works in the opposite direction really).

pb1999

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
If its doing this as well as dropping calls and giving you errors when you try to connect to the cell network, it could be a bad sim card. But more likely, your phone is just trying to find the best signal. I have found the LTE coverage map for ATT to be a bit optimistic at this point. And for some reason the indoor reception for LTE on my 5S seems weaker than for "4G".