Product(RED) and Quality

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I kept looking for days where I live for good iPhone 5S cases, but unfortunately everything is for the iPhone 5, most of them are incompatible with the new flash or I just hate how they look.

Now I am afraid my 5S Silver back will be easily scratched when in my pocket, so I was thinking of getting Apple Leather cases and a Screen protector but I have been reading so many bad reviews about the Red case online, even on Apple Store website.

I don't care much about the Apple Case color, I do prefer the Red, Blue or the black one but I need one that I am sure will last for long and keep looking good.

I handle my phone very well, I never drop it (hands on wood) and I always take care of it.

Do you advise me to get the Product RED one, the blue, or black? Or just think of another case. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Get another case as its been reported that that the apple cases will look worn in a short while. I thought they looked a little cheap for the price.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the Apple Black Leather Case. If it's worn you can't tell because it's black.

#Naked Tuesday

Larry Pager

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the yellow one (but no phone... it's coming though)

I think it all boils down to your attitude with cases and your phone.

If you are planning to keep this phone for a year, I'd probably avoid it for 2 reasons- $40 is a lot for a case for 1yr and resale time, it will be pretty scuffed up, which means you won't get a lot for it. Unless they turn out to be really cool looking, but probably not.

If you baby your phone and are not accident prone and not worried about dropping it, this case might be good (the inner lining is super soft, I can't imagine it scratching up the phone and also because it's not tough case like a Otterbox.

If you want a case be as durable as a plastic one, then don't get this. It's leather, and fairly soft leather- it's going to get dirty, scuff, scratch easily. I'm betting that it will look cool over time as it gets that worn leather look. You won't need anybody to tell you this once you hold it in your hands. This video showed what happened when the phone in the red case sustained a corner drop- go to the 3:33 mark:

Apple iPhone 5s Leather Case (Product Red) Review - YouTube

The phone was fine, the case is a bit beat up

If you are a case junkie and like to try out different cases and the price doesn't put you off (it is expensive), I say why not?

Consensus seems to be the darker the color, the less it will show damage.

I'm tired of switching phones, so I'm keeping the 5S x 2 years, will get Applecare+, and I like to have a few cases. The leather case is def. interesting (will love to see what it looks like broken in) and I'm willing to take the risk of $40 for this case. That and I do like the design of it- I think it's very cool looking for a slim case. The durability bit is concerning, but not enough to avoid buying it.

No definitive answer, but hope it helps.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the red and the light blue. I've had the red one on my phone for over 2 weeks now. It's not looking worn, dirty or anything. I put the phone I and out of my pocket a lot too. All I did was spray it with leather shoe protectant spray before I put it on the phone (can't even tell I did that).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My red case is still in great shape...people are giving poor reviews on it because they mistakingly view patina for "staining"...my leather case isn't stained at all, but the leather is aging and discoloring, as any leather will do. I've read through so many "bad reviews" of the red leather case and that issue reflects about 90% of the ones I've read. I personally feel the patina is giving the case a proper aged look, and actually think my case looks NICER now than it did when it was new.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
They are excellent quality cases, but they are leather. Leather gets worn/stained, etc. mine looks worn after a month or less. I think it will look better once it is worn even more and evenly. That is leather.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My red case is still in great shape...people are giving poor reviews on it because they mistakingly view patina for "staining"...my leather case isn't stained at all, but the leather is aging and discoloring, as any leather will do. I've read through so many "bad reviews" of the red leather case and that issue reflects about 90% of the ones I've read. I personally feel the patina is giving the case a proper aged look, and actually think my case looks NICER now than it did when it was new.

Picture please?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Picture please?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Second on that request.

Looks like I will be ordering the Red one soon, let's hope it keep looking nice and offer minor protection to my phone back and side from scratches.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
There's mine after two weeks of wear and tear. Actually over three weeks now that I think about it. I'm not careful about it.

sarypa3a.jpg

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382823307.692571.jpg

After 3 weeks of use. I perhaps am the exception, but I personally am not a fan of the worn and seasoned look so I have since moved onto a difference case.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think all the cases above look pretty good. For me, the $39 price tag is a steal. I purchased a hot pink leather case from Coach for my 5, which I love BTW, and it held up great after 3 months use but the price was much higher than Apple. Yes there are more color options for the Coach case but the Apple case seems to be great quality for the price. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Red & Black.

carriv

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think all the cases above look pretty good. For me, the $39 price tag is a steal. I purchased a hot pink leather case from Coach for my 5, which I love BTW, and it held up great after 3 months use but the price was much higher than Apple. Yes there are more color options for the Coach case but the Apple case seems to be great quality for the price. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Red & Black.

Show us a picture of your Coach case why don't ya? Thanks!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Show us a picture of your Coach case why don't ya? Thanks!

Wish I could but I'm out of town on business & the case is at home. I change cases quite often, right now I'm rocking an Uncommon Battery Case. If the thread is still going when I go home next week, I'll definitely upload a pic.

If you search online, its the Bleecker Leather Case for iPhone 5. My is obviously more worn than the new pics you'll find.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro