Activation Locked iPhone DFU Mode

miwaca

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I bought an iPhone on eBay and out of the box it was activation locked. I opened a case but lost on account that a) I received the item and b) the seller claimed he didn't activation lock the iPhone. I feel pretty bad that I'm now stuck with the most popular paper weight.

B1ue_B1aze

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe there is any known way around the activation lock. Given that it was used by the seller, they would do what anyone would do before selling the device, and that is just do a full wipe of the device. The thing is with iOS 7, if the user is signed into iCloud with Find my iPhone left on when the device is wiped, it automatically activation locks. That's why the seller is saying they didn't activation lock it, because it automatically does it itself. At this point, I think you're out of luck.

miwaca

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
The seller should know the password associated with the iCloud account that is locking the phone (assuming they own the phone or got it legitimately).

Since I disputed it and eBay ruled in the seller's favour. He doesn't see the need to 'provide any personal information regarding the iPhone'

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since I disputed it and eBay ruled in the seller's favour. He doesn't see the to 'provide any personal information regarding the iPhone'

Have the seller login to iCloud.com/#find and erase the phone, and then select "remove from account" afterwards. That should allow you to use the device.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does EBay know that if the seller can't activation unlock it. It was not his phone to sell?That it was either lost or stolen?

#Naked Tuesday

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be quite honest with you I don't think he's the original owner. The real owner would've had this resolved a long time ago.
Yeah, I got that feeling to, but gave him the benefit of the doubt.
This. I'm guessing the seller is selling a stolen or other illegitimately gotten phone.
I agree
Which brings me to the previous question: Isn't there some bypass??
Not that I'm aware of.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Seems like eBay needs to change their deal on how iPhones are sold through them.
It's impossible for a buyer to see if a phone is activation locked through a eBay listing.

#Naked Tuesday

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Seems like eBay needs to change their deal on how iPhones are sold through them.
It's impossible for a buyer to see if a phone is activation locked through a eBay listing.

#Naked Tuesday

all you can do is request a picture of the phone's icloud screen showing an account is NOT logged in and deleted off the device.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought an iPhone on eBay and out of the box it was activation locked. I opened a case but lost on account that a) I received the item and b) the seller claimed he didn't activation lock the iPhone. I feel pretty bad that I'm now stuck with the most popular paper weight.

I would call eBay and if you paid with paypal dispute the charge with them also.
I don't see how you lost your eBay case .. Just open a item not as described if his ad did not say it was activation locked then you should win .. Under his action to take say refund and you will return phones or provide accurate data to make the item as described.

I would also as a ditch effort go talk to apple and bring all prove you bought the phone on eBay etc .. I mean come on we all know apple is the only ones that can bypass this.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I've always know eBay to take the side of the person who purchased the item. Glad I don't deal with them anymore. They screwed me over big time over a $800 iPhone. Buyer got it, claimed he didn't and very idiotically for the first time, I didn't get insurance. Meh.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

raven69david

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd purchase Applecare and smash that phone. There is a way to do it as I recently went through it, unfortunately I don't remember the steps I took when troubleshooting this with Apple support. However this happened on one of my phones and I already knew the icloud password so not sure this applies.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd purchase Applecare and smash that phone. There is a way to do it as I recently went through it, unfortunately I don't remember the steps I took when troubleshooting this with Apple support. However this happened on one of my phones and I already knew the icloud password so not sure this applies.

Under normal circumstances, you can usually only purchase AppleCare+ if; 1) it is within 30 days of the phone's original sales date according to Apple's records. 2) you have valid proof of purchase. and 3) you get the phone physically inspected at an Apple Store, or submit remote diagnostic information during application by telephone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711