Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the gold is looked at as a fashion statement at all. It's only popular because of it's color and it's in short supply.

Think of it this way, if a thief had to choose between stealing a white, black or gold iPhone (all things being equal), what do you think he's steal?

Let's be honest, probably the gold. It has nothing to do with fashion, they're just high in demand right now. Pretty simple.
Couldn't agree with you more here. Most people I know cover their iPhones up as I do with a case.... Hey! Maybe it's the case that people are using that's the real fashion statement, lol. :rotfl:

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
it's a popular color, it's new...many people want the gold one so others can tell it's the new device ( silly but whatever.. )...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I work in the home improvement industry, everybody wants stainless steel appliances in their house, and Apple knows this thats why they make all their computers in brushed aluminum ... NO that makes no difference in why people buy Apple computers. It might not hurt, but it's not the main reason. For the record I always buy black because it's classic and goes with all my outfits. People are buying Gold iPhones because it's different and instantly identifies them to others as having the latest & greatest iPhone ... it's that simple.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If the aesthetic qualities of a gold iPhone make it popular that is a aspect of fashion. Aesthetics are a factor in fashion. You can have two products of the same form and based on color one may be more "Fashionable"

Like Not Quite Right said. Macs are made to look good with the brushed aluminum. They look good sitting on your desk doing nothing that's a factor in home decor which is like fashion for the home. With the beige computer boxes of old fashion or design wasn't a consideration.
Today all Apple products have similar design cues. Which can said to be fashionable.
A traditional wrist watch which serves a very specific purpose of telling time. But style and fashion is a consideration in design of it as a accessory.
A iPhone is serves a specific purpose for communication and entertainment but it has become a fashionable accessory for some that's why people want this color or that color.
Some people not all.
Jon Ive's job is to makes it look good and looking good is a aspect of fashion.

#Naked Tuesday

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Has the gold iPhone ever NOT been just a fashion statement. Anything that you buy as an accessory, which is why many people choose iPhones in the first place, is a fashion statement. I think we all know that iPhones are fashion statements to many people and especially those that are in the "fashion mindset" 24/7. The people that are constantly conscious of what they are wearing and if their shoe laces match their tie will always see their phones as some kind of crazy statement.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Has the gold iPhone ever NOT been just a fashion statement. Anything that you buy as an accessory, which is why many people choose iPhones in the first place, is a fashion statement. I think we all know that iPhones are fashion statements to many people and especially those that are in the "fashion mindset" 24/7. The people that are constantly conscious of what they are wearing and if their shoe laces match their tie will always see their phones as some kind of crazy statement.

Nah....I bought my first iPhone because I wanted a killer browser because my BlackBerry's browser was abysmal. I have come back to the iPhone for the 4S and the 5 and will get the 5s because the phone meets my needs in a way that I like.

Fashion does not play into it. For 15 year olds maybe. For a professional woman with a busy lifestyle, not in the least.

Oh and I will get the gold because I've bought the black and the white before. Not becauSe it matches my jewelry or my lingerie or my dog. (Which it does, he's a golden retriever.)

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to understand why the gold 5S is in demand. We all know it's because of the colour and what is signifies. Gold is symbolic of loyalty, royalty and statue.
A device with such values makes the whole experience of a phone phenomenal.
I haven't seen any other phone in the market who has done this.
The other day I decided to rock the phone without a case. I went to a fashion conference and noticed most of the designers all had the gold. I asked them why they choose to buy it. They all said " it defines your statue, and it has become a trend"
So this whole experience of gold is to obey a trend?
Just like the way clothing evolves and becomes trendy today.
All of my fashion friends have iPhones and they all gold.
I believe this is becoming a new chapter of what a phone is.
It's sort of a revolution.......
To others it may seem stupid.
Once again apple has used this smart marketing strategy..

I could see if it was real gold.

I could see how it would be trendy. I mean someone made gold grillz a thing.

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I upgrade every year for the new phone, so I buy the phone that's in the highest demand. I bought the 64GB Gold 5s with Apple Care+, then when the iPhone 6 comes out, I can sell the 5s for a premium amount to purchase the new phone.

Oofa

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Nah....I bought my first iPhone because I wanted a killer browser because my BlackBerry's browser was abysmal. I have come back to the iPhone for the 4S and the 5 and will get the 5s because the phone meets my needs in a way that I like.

Fashion does not play into it. For 15 year olds maybe. For a professional woman with a busy lifestyle, not in the least.

Oh and I will get the gold because I've bought the black and the white before. Not becauSe it matches my jewelry or my lingerie or my dog. (Which it does, he's a golden retriever.)

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk

I love it....... Of course I don't mean you personally LOL! I'm speaking in general terms. I'm sure there are people that wear cowboy boots and hats, hiking boots and blue jeans for their intended purpose or because they claim "it fits my needs" but many, if not most, wear them as a fashion statement.

Professional women with busy lifestyles are pretty heavily into fashion statements. I don't mean YOU are but as a professional man I get to experience quite a bit of professional women that are seriously into fashion statements.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I got the gold because I liked the color but I definitely know where you're coming from. I have a few designer friends and keep up with fashion blogs and not only do they see the iPhone as a fashion statement in general, they see the gold iPhone as the "holy grail" of technology in fashion....along with MBAs

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Definitely wasn't a fashion statement when I pre-ordered the night before launch. I saw it online, I liked it, plus I had a silver/white 4S then a black/slate 5 so the logical color for me was gold. I like to alternate iPhone colors and if the gold was too gold like a lot of the leaked photos, I would of purchased the silver/white. So no fashion came into play when I got it. To be honest...when I 1st purchased an iPhone (4S was my 1st), I chose it by default. I was coming from an Evo 3D and Sprint had finally pushed me over the edge. The Verizon I went to had a short supply of phones and the 2 best options were the 4S and Moto Razr. I hated Motorola more than I hated iPhones at the time so I ended up with an iPhone and I was actually kind of embarrassed of it. Didn't start really liking the iPhone until I jailbroke my 5.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I upgrade every year for the new phone, so I buy the phone that's in the highest demand. I bought the 64GB Gold 5s with Apple Care+, then when the iPhone 6 comes out, I can sell the 5s for a premium amount to purchase the new phone.

I do the same. What does apple care + do?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Anyone see the episode of Pawn Stars when the old man took Chumblee's golden iPhone 5 away from him for the day. It had one of those gold skins on a black i5 and the old man not really liking smartphone kept commenting how this is a nice phone

A gold phone is in my opinion a fashion just like a golden watch was back in the day

Sent from my iPhone 5

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I do the same. What does apple care + do?

Should be threads for it stickied for more details,

Brings warranty to 2 years
Covers accidental damages two times in those two years for $49 or $69 per time
Costs $99 and must be purchased in the first 30 days.
Does not cover loss

Worth it when compared to carrier insurances, not worth it to all people, especially if you slap a case on it right away.

Sent from my iPad

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Should be threads for it stickied for more details,

Brings warranty to 2 years
Covers accidental damages two times in those two years for $49 or $69 per time
Costs $99 and must be purchased in the first 30 days.
Does not cover loss

Worth it when compared to carrier insurances, not worth it to all people, especially if you slap a case on it right away.

Sent from my iPad

I just went to the apple store today and the guy told me this is only in the USA , the apple care + not on Australia. Bummer!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro