just wanted to let everyone know to keep and eye for camera lens dust. returned mine for it. and inspected 2 others (friends) with dust in it.

in a case right out the box with screen protector.
    Last edited by juanc723; 10-22-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    10-22-2013 12:04 AM
    Dust under lens problems are usually not from dropping, but rather putting your phone into dusty pockets.
    10-22-2013 01:11 AM
    you might think though that the quality that apple praises might prevent from dust gettin to the phone no? i mean where else do we put our phones more than pockets?
    10-22-2013 01:20 AM
    I've seen it happen to almost all my phones that've lived in my pockets. I'm not sure it's entirely avoidable, given the space between the glass and lens. Use to see it quite often on the screens of phones as well, until OEMs started using the newer technology where the display was fused to the glass, eliminating the space between them. You can however take steps to minimize or prevent it from happening - wash your pants with the pockets turned inside out, or put your phone in a phone pouch before throwing in your pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-22-2013 08:59 AM
    you might think though that the quality that apple praises might prevent from dust gettin to the phone no? i mean where else do we put our phones more than pockets?
    You might want to take a look at every smart phone forum on the planet for the last 6-7 years and see that every phone that has provided a camera on it has also had reports of dust "under the lens" in isolated reports. Every year we see a few people reporting it for the iPhone on this forum...this is not a quality control issue.
    10-22-2013 12:37 PM
    lifeproof case, belt holster, case with a clip, hand.... if you carried a canon camera in your pocket for more than 3 weeks I promise you there would be dust and debris behind screens and lenses. that's the joys of technology have to take the good with the bad.
    10-22-2013 12:47 PM
    Had this on my iPhone 5. It was almost a year old phone and I happen to notice a few grey blobs in photos and a little red one. Apple replaced it with no hassle.
    10-22-2013 12:57 PM
    Any kind of device is going to be susceptible to this or that. Doesn't mean the device is poor quality. iPhones are put in pockets, purses, tables everyday and dust is everywhere.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-23-2013 12:11 PM
    wouldn't it be important for the quality of products to grow hand in hand with technology?

to try to seal them properly to minimize dust to get in there? i mean its a 700 dollar phone!!
    10-23-2013 01:19 PM
    wouldn't it be important for the quality of products to grow hand in hand with technology?

to try to seal them properly to minimize dust to get in there? i mean its a 700 dollar phone!!
    There is no quality problem, there are isolated incidents that happen with any smart phone (or device of this nature) on the market...and a company like Apple who doesn't even question it, and in an effort to keep the consumer happy, they replace it, on site, even if the "issue" was brought on by the consumer themselves (for whatever reason).

You're talking what is most likely less than 1% of smart phone devices made...there is no quality control problem.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-23-2013 01:32 PM
    it has happen to me on 3 iphones. 2 iphone 5 and one 5s. when i took my iphone 5 in because of dust. i had to get the replacement one replaced right there and then because it had way more dust in there than the one i took in!

the 5s got dust just before it was a month old. and there is another 5s in the household which has dust in it too.

im a very oc person and i keep my pocket clean and the iphone only goes in that same side pocket everytime with nothing else in it.
    10-23-2013 01:40 PM
    Since dust is microscopic the only sure way to avoid it is a phone with no camera. Since all phones with cameras are susceptible to this. I've never had dust in my phone camera lens or maybe I did and didn't notice.
    Of course Apple will praise the quality of their products. As a company that's what you do. It's what all companies do. iPhone quality is top notch in form fit and function.
    10-23-2013 01:42 PM
    it has happen to me on 3 iphones. 2 iphone 5 and one 5s. when i took my iphone 5 in because of dust. i had to get the replacement one replaced right there and then because it had way more dust in there than the one i took in!

the 5s got dust just before it was a month old. and there is another 5s in the household which has dust in it too.

im a very oc person and i keep my pocket clean and the iphone only goes in that same side pocket everytime with nothing else in it.
    As I said in my previous post I've never had dust under the lens of a iPhone and I've had the original and all the S models. I don't do any thing special to protect my phone. There's dust in my home in my pockets. Am I lucky? Are you unlucky? I don't know. But if it's been a consistent issue with your phones it might not be the phones. It could be any number of things. It could be any number of things why I never had dust under a lens.

iPhone has been consistently good for me. I don't believe I'm blessed with getting a issue free iPhone every time out just like I don't believe someone gets one with issues every time out.
    10-23-2013 02:00 PM

I've had an iPhone since the release of the first generation...and I've had replacements in several occasions for a varying amount of reasons. I've never once had a problem with dust under the lens.

Your experience and my experience amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things...there is no dust problem, you are experiencing an isolated issue that happens to all smart phones.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-23-2013 02:43 PM
    I question the validity of the claim even being made here after the OP said they had this problem on 6 iPhones all together. Give me a break.
    10-23-2013 02:55 PM
    and so does $1000 cameras. Now what?
    nikkisharif likes this.
    10-23-2013 03:44 PM
    and so does $1000 cameras. Now what?
    Bingo.

Ask me how much the wife just spent getting her 5D lens cleaned, lol. Quality control issue my a$$.
    10-23-2013 05:23 PM
    Had this on my iPhone 5. It was almost a year old phone and I happen to notice a few grey blobs in photos and a little red one. Apple replaced it with no hassle.
    Same with me. I was going to get it replaced via AppleCare+, but they replaced it for free, and all over the phone (shipped me a new one). I was quite happy.
    10-23-2013 05:54 PM
    I question the validity of the claim even being made here after the OP said they had this problem on 6 iPhones all together. Give me a break.
    nobody has any problems with their iphones here except everyone making a thread about an issue with their device. have you noticed that?

i made the thread due to the fact that a device that is not even 20 days old out of the box starting to show some sign of dust under the lens under very light use.

ok yes with time and use eventually. its hard to keep dust away, i get that. now what worries me is that a brand new device at the apple store that was given to me as a replacement had dust in the lens.
    10-24-2013 02:13 AM
    nobody has any problems with their iphones here except everyone making a thread about an issue with their device. have you noticed that?

i made the thread due to the fact that a device that is not even 20 days old out of the box starting to show some sign of dust under the lens under very light use.

ok yes with time and use eventually. its hard to keep dust away, i get that. now what worries me is that a brand new device at the apple store that was given to me as a replacement had dust in the lens.
    My point is that in this isolated thread, I think you're being a bit OCD about this dust. Six iPhones? And questioning the quality control of a company who themselves are pretty OCD themselves with the devices they make. I'm not trying to belittle you. I'm just saying that I think you're overreacting to this dust you're seeing. Probably anyone who looks at their camera lens on an iPhone thoroughly will see some dust just like you do. Just like the dust you saw on two other friends' iPhones. It's not quality control. It's just something normal.
    10-24-2013 02:24 AM
    dude just delete the thread. its pointless. i thought this could be an open forum to discuss device issues but i see that its not important and its an isolated problem.

its isolated enough that anyone could see dust in their devices and thats ok.
    10-24-2013 02:43 AM
    dude just delete the thread. its pointless. i thought this could be an open forum to discuss device issues but i see that its not important and its an isolated problem.

its isolated enough that anyone could see dust in their devices and thats ok.
    Complain about dust under the lens? Sure...totally get it, you have a valid issue, let's talk about it. I'm curious though, was this an actual issue that was causing problems with pictures being taken? Or were you just being anal about it visually?

Everyone isn't seeing dust in the device, in fact, it's such an infrequent reported problem that it's not showing up with any regularity on any of the plethora of Apple related websites. NONE of them.

Do you have a valid complaint? Yes. But don't get frustrated if people are being honest with you and not reporting the problem. And don't get upset if you get flack about taking pot shots at Apple's QC when there is no problem with their QC. You said...

...that is the definition of "isolated"...when there is a wide spread problem, you'll see a tidal wave of people reporting it and discussing it, for instance...the glitchy "jump" that was related to the parallax feature, every person that responded to that thread said they noticed it...or the thing with the level, again, a widely described issue (that was even quickly fixed by Apple because it was a simple calibration problem).

You may feel like I'm being insincere, but I kid you not, there is ZERO dust under the lens of my iPhone, and it takes perfect pictures.
    10-24-2013 07:10 AM
    Question... Doesn't this happen with any phone?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    10-24-2013 04:22 PM
    Question... Doesn't this happen with any phone?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    This should answer your question...

Dust under the front camera lumia 920 - Windows Phone Central Forums
    Dust under the camera lens???? - Android Forums
    Dust under ffc lens cover - xda-developers
    Dust under camera lens cover - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    How to Do DIY Dust Cleaning Surgery on 6 Popular Canon and Nikon Lenses

...you could keep going with this list for every camera related item ever made.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    10-24-2013 07:42 PM