iphone 5s camera lens dust (keep an eye for it)

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
just wanted to let everyone know to keep and eye for camera lens dust. returned mine for it. and inspected 2 others (friends) with dust in it.

in a case right out the box with screen protector.

Last edited:

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
you might think though that the quality that apple praises might prevent from dust gettin to the phone no? i mean where else do we put our phones more than pockets?

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I've seen it happen to almost all my phones that've lived in my pockets. I'm not sure it's entirely avoidable, given the space between the glass and lens. Use to see it quite often on the screens of phones as well, until OEMs started using the newer technology where the display was fused to the glass, eliminating the space between them. You can however take steps to minimize or prevent it from happening - wash your pants with the pockets turned inside out, or put your phone in a phone pouch before throwing in your pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
you might think though that the quality that apple praises might prevent from dust gettin to the phone no? i mean where else do we put our phones more than pockets?

You might want to take a look at every smart phone forum on the planet for the last 6-7 years and see that every phone that has provided a camera on it has also had reports of dust "under the lens" in isolated reports. Every year we see a few people reporting it for the iPhone on this forum...this is not a quality control issue.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

lifeproof case, belt holster, case with a clip, hand.... if you carried a canon camera in your pocket for more than 3 weeks I promise you there would be dust and debris behind screens and lenses. that's the joys of technology have to take the good with the bad.

itsmemuffins

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Had this on my iPhone 5. It was almost a year old phone and I happen to notice a few grey blobs in photos and a little red one. Apple replaced it with no hassle.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Any kind of device is going to be susceptible to this or that. Doesn't mean the device is poor quality. iPhones are put in pockets, purses, tables everyday and dust is everywhere.

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
wouldn't it be important for the quality of products to grow hand in hand with technology?

to try to seal them properly to minimize dust to get in there? i mean its a 700 dollar phone!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
wouldn't it be important for the quality of products to grow hand in hand with technology?

to try to seal them properly to minimize dust to get in there? i mean its a 700 dollar phone!!

There is no quality problem, there are isolated incidents that happen with any smart phone (or device of this nature) on the market...and a company like Apple who doesn't even question it, and in an effort to keep the consumer happy, they replace it, on site, even if the "issue" was brought on by the consumer themselves (for whatever reason).

You're talking what is most likely less than 1% of smart phone devices made...there is no quality control problem.

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
it has happen to me on 3 iphones. 2 iphone 5 and one 5s. when i took my iphone 5 in because of dust. i had to get the replacement one replaced right there and then because it had way more dust in there than the one i took in!

the 5s got dust just before it was a month old. and there is another 5s in the household which has dust in it too.

im a very oc person and i keep my pocket clean and the iphone only goes in that same side pocket everytime with nothing else in it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Since dust is microscopic the only sure way to avoid it is a phone with no camera. Since all phones with cameras are susceptible to this. I've never had dust in my phone camera lens or maybe I did and didn't notice.
Of course Apple will praise the quality of their products. As a company that's what you do. It's what all companies do. iPhone quality is top notch in form fit and function.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
it has happen to me on 3 iphones. 2 iphone 5 and one 5s. when i took my iphone 5 in because of dust. i had to get the replacement one replaced right there and then because it had way more dust in there than the one i took in!

the 5s got dust just before it was a month old. and there is another 5s in the household which has dust in it too.

im a very oc person and i keep my pocket clean and the iphone only goes in that same side pocket everytime with nothing else in it.

As I said in my previous post I've never had dust under the lens of a iPhone and I've had the original and all the S models. I don't do any thing special to protect my phone. There's dust in my home in my pockets. Am I lucky? Are you unlucky? I don't know. But if it's been a consistent issue with your phones it might not be the phones. It could be any number of things. It could be any number of things why I never had dust under a lens.

iPhone has been consistently good for me. I don't believe I'm blessed with getting a issue free iPhone every time out just like I don't believe someone gets one with issues every time out.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I've had an iPhone since the release of the first generation...and I've had replacements in several occasions for a varying amount of reasons. I've never once had a problem with dust under the lens.

Your experience and my experience amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things...there is no dust problem, you are experiencing an isolated issue that happens to all smart phones.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I question the validity of the claim even being made here after the OP said they had this problem on 6 iPhones all together. Give me a break.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Had this on my iPhone 5. It was almost a year old phone and I happen to notice a few grey blobs in photos and a little red one. Apple replaced it with no hassle.

Same with me. I was going to get it replaced via AppleCare+, but they replaced it for free, and all over the phone (shipped me a new one). I was quite happy.

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I question the validity of the claim even being made here after the OP said they had this problem on 6 iPhones all together. Give me a break.

nobody has any problems with their iphones here except everyone making a thread about an issue with their device. have you noticed that?

i made the thread due to the fact that a device that is not even 20 days old out of the box starting to show some sign of dust under the lens under very light use.

ok yes with time and use eventually. its hard to keep dust away, i get that. now what worries me is that a brand new device at the apple store that was given to me as a replacement had dust in the lens.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
nobody has any problems with their iphones here except everyone making a thread about an issue with their device. have you noticed that?

i made the thread due to the fact that a device that is not even 20 days old out of the box starting to show some sign of dust under the lens under very light use.

ok yes with time and use eventually. its hard to keep dust away, i get that. now what worries me is that a brand new device at the apple store that was given to me as a replacement had dust in the lens.
My point is that in this isolated thread, I think you're being a bit OCD about this dust. Six iPhones? And questioning the quality control of a company who themselves are pretty OCD themselves with the devices they make. I'm not trying to belittle you. I'm just saying that I think you're overreacting to this dust you're seeing. Probably anyone who looks at their camera lens on an iPhone thoroughly will see some dust just like you do. Just like the dust you saw on two other friends' iPhones. It's not quality control. It's just something normal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73