iPhone 5s home button

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My home button seemed to developed looseness on one corner and this causes a crunchy feel and noise when pressed on that area. Has anyone gotten their 5s home button replaced or repaired in the Genius Bar? Other than this issue my phone has no other defects and I would rather not get a new phone replacement and risk getting other issues. So my question if they are replacing home buttons for the 5s in store yet or do they just give you a phone replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My home button seemed to developed looseness on one corner and this causes a crunchy feel and noise when pressed on that area. Has anyone gotten their 5s home button replaced or repaired in the Genius Bar? Other than this issue my phone has no other defects and I would rather not get a new phone replacement and risk getting other issues. So my question if they are replacing home buttons for the 5s in store yet or do they just give you a phone replacement?

Take it to the Genius Bar in your friendly, neighborhood Apple Store for evaluation and possible replacement. I don’t think they are replacing parts, except for possibly the screen itself at this point.

bboykin87

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
This is a 100% guess but I heard that there were supply issues with the touch id home button, which may be a reason why it doesn't come to the new iPads. If this is the case I doubt they have extra home buttons lying around. I think they'll replace the whole device.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
This is a 100% guess but I heard that there were supply issues with the touch id home button, which may be a reason why it doesn't come to the new iPads. If this is the case I doubt they have extra home buttons lying around. I think they'll replace the whole device.

Makes sense thanks.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am only taking a guess more or less like fausty quoted but with the sensitivity of parts with the 5S home button I would be willing to guess that going to the Genius Bar at your local Apple store will have you walking out with a new phone. That is providing as inventory as it is, That they would have a direct replacement for your phone if inventory at all. This case if they did not, They might make an exception and offer you what they do again if any a different color or make you wait until they get more in.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There aren't going to repair your touch sensor/home button in store while you wait...you're getting a replacement.

And no, I haven't personally experienced anything but normal function on mine, thankfully.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm just going to wait it out. I hate to get in a replacement cycle because of defects. I've learned my lesson from the past. I cleaned the dirt out of the edge of the button and it seem to be better.

juanc723

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
home button issues here.. not noise but more like non working every now and then. got the phone replaced but it wasnt the only issue with it.

mbern1008

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
No looseness here but touch ID is sporadically not working. When it reads, it reads perfectly and unlocks fine but there are times it won't read at all. Doesn't give me an error. The screen just goes back off as if there was no input. It looks clean to me but I have to press the button multiple times and wipe the area to get it to start reading again

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Wiping around the button while pressing it with a damp cloth seemed to fix the problem for me. It appears that the edges of the button need a little lube (for lack of better term) in order to slide freely. This happened to me right after those idiots at the mall installed my screen protector. They lightly spray the screen with an alcohol solution, then wipe it down. However, in the process, the liquid gets pushed between the home button and the glass screen, drying everything up. They also squigy out the excess water and soap when removing bubbles, some of that once again ends up between home button and glass. Soap is a degreaser. Even dabbing your finger in some water and rubbing it around the edge while pushing down gets rid of the issue. "this worked for me, not saying it will work for everyone".

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
No looseness here but touch ID is sporadically not working. When it reads, it reads perfectly and unlocks fine but there are times it won't read at all. Doesn't give me an error. The screen just goes back off as if there was no input. It looks clean to me but I have to press the button multiple times and wipe the area to get it to start reading again

The same here! After two weeks of use I have to make sure my thumb is dry! This is an issue because my hands are always sweaty :(. I just have to wife my thumb before attempting to scan it. I hope there is a way to dumb down the sensitivity of the scanner.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Wiping around the button while pressing it with a damp cloth seemed to fix the problem for me. It appears that the edges of the button need a little lube (for lack of better term) in order to slide freely. This happened to me right after those idiots at the mall installed my screen protector. They lightly spray the screen with an alcohol solution, then wipe it down. However, in the process, the liquid gets pushed between the home button and the glass screen, drying everything up. They also squigy out the excess water and soap when removing bubbles, some of that once again ends up between home button and glass. Soap is a degreaser. Even dabbing your finger in some water and rubbing it around the edge while pushing down gets rid of the issue. "this worked for me, not saying it will work for everyone".

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Dude! This is exactly what I did! I damp my small cloth and wife the edges of the button to clean the dirt out. I think in the process some liquid got in. However, this remove the crunchy feel and popping noise. My button is very quiet now and feels much softer.

mbern1008

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I figured out my touch I'd problem. It seems to be faulty hardware. I am bringing it to the apple store today.

If the button is pressed and rotated clockwise slightly then the fingerprint won't sense. If it is pressed in again and rotated back counterclockwise it will start to function again

I've been able to replicate this multiple times this morning

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro