5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Oh ok. I had more than one issue, so it was worth it to swap for me. :)

Understandable. I just don't like to swap unless I know for sure it's a hardware issue. I've swapped thinking it could fix something and it didn't. Then I inherited issues like dead pixels or other things and then had to swap again. Apple tracks your swaps and repairs so I only do warranty swaps if I feel like that's my only choice to resolve something or know it's not a software issue.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Understandable. I just don't like to swap unless I know for sure it's a hardware issue. I've swapped thinking it could fix something and it didn't. Then I inherited issues like dead pixels or other things and then had to swap again. Apple tracks your swaps and repairs so I only do warranty swaps if I feel like that's my only choice to resolve something or know it's not a software issue.

I hear you. I hate swapping also, but I can't believe the difference it made. My previous phone was hooped, lol. The most noticeable change is the fingerprint reader. It would take over a second to read my thumb on my original phone, sometimes taking 2 tries. This one is fast. If I wake the display up by clicking the home button, it's read my print and is unlocked the by the time the screen comes on.

I am one happy man because my original 5s was about the same speed as my 5, and I wasn't that impressed with it after paying full retail for it.

This replacement is definitely faster opening apps, etc.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But that is not the root of the problem. It doesn't do it on iPhone 5.

Oh definitely not the root...and since my 5S is like yours, and really doesn't have a leveling problem at all, I couldn't tell you why the jump is there when it's not on the 5. Like you said, hopefully a firmware update will rectify this "issue", really though, I don't even notice it anymore.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has seen this. It is very quick and will just catch your eye when you go back to the main screen. Someone had a good point about the sensors maybe having a party in this. I am waiting for the next update before I go looking for a replacement, but turning off features to hide a bug is not the solution just a band aid.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info and your awareness OP, this info brings me to another question. How often (estimate of course) does Apple send out device updates? As a potential Apple consumer this is kinda of important to me ....like my devices to run tip top ...SMILE

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
On a new iOS version…relatively frequently. There have been two already and a third supposedly soon.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 7.1 either with the release of Mavericks to the public to enable the iCloud Keychain feature and/or with the release of new iPads.

Thanks for the Info Karen (Mod), this is GOOD to know

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it's so weird that it did not happen on the 5 but it is on the 5s. I went to the genius bar this week and they claimed they had not heard of this issue. I showed the genius it. Took a few times to try and duplicate it but I got it to. He didn't even research it like they normally would. He said "Well I hope they fix it on the next update." smh

Well I don't use parallax because it's pointless and I'm set with that eye candy. However I still experience the blue screen of death

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I find it odd that they would say they haven't heard of this problem since it has been posted as an issue on Apples own community website forum. Probably did hear of it before but didn't want to be bothered with this issue.

I think they're trained to respond that way. Apple Care phone support too.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Other than a few laggy apps though, I had no problems with the iOS 7.1 home screen on my iPad Mini.

Will get the 5s to test things out.

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It's a commonly discussed problem over at the Apple forums, mine does it and so does every other 5s I've ever used. My girlfriends iPod touch doesn't have the issue though, nor my old 5. I bet it has something to do with 64 bit.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This issue has been fixed on 7.0.3. Glad I didn't listen to others telling me to swap my device. :p

sc13

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
This was driving me crazy, and I didn't really know how to describe it. I kept parallax on, but 7.0.3 fixed it. No little shudder/jump/movement of the home screen coming in and out of apps.