5s home screen seem jumpy'choppy/laggy?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have talked about this with several people on twitter and they all seem to have noticed this too. The 5s screen seems a little jumpy and laggy once in awhile. Not all the time. For example, it will happen when you exit out of a app or when you unlock your screen. All the icons kind of jump. Its like the phone doesn't know where it's suppose to be with the parallax and is catching up to where it's suppose to be. This is not a issue at all with the iPhone 5. It is just on the 5s and you will not notice it all the time. My wifes 5s does it too. I hope to see this fixed in the next software update.

Anybody else with a 5s notice this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey, Garz. I've read here in the forum where others have mentioned the same thing. I don't have a 5S so I cant speak from personal experience. On my iPhone 5, however, the only lag I experience is animation we all get after unlocking the device. I'm not experiencing any other lag and have yet to experience any choppiness.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Hey, Garz. I've read here in the forum where others have mentioned the same thing. I don't have a 5S so I cant speak from personal experience. On my iPhone 5, however, the only lag I experience is animation we all get after unlocking the device. I'm not experiencing any other lag and have yet to experience any choppiness.

Yeah there are no issues with the 5. I tested thoroughly on my 5 before I sold it. It wouldn't duplicate the issue. People are only seemign to have this issue on the 5s. Just hope a OS update can fix it. It makes the parallax feature not so fun.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah there are no issues with the 5. I tested thoroughly on my 5 before I sold it. It wouldn't duplicate the issue. People are only seemign to have this issue on the 5s. Just hope a OS update can fix it. It makes the parallax feature not so fun.
I hear ya, and I'm sure that Apple will fix the issue. Hopefully, soon...:)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I had this issue on my 5S as well. It was annoying me to the point where I now keep this feature off until an update is found to fix it. This wasn't an issue with my old iPhone 5 also running iOS 7.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk Pro

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I had this issue on my 5S as well. It was annoying me to the point where I now keep this feature off until an update is found to fix it. This wasn't an issue with my old iPhone 5 also running iOS 7.

Yeah it's so weird that it did not happen on the 5 but it is on the 5s. I went to the genius bar this week and they claimed they had not heard of this issue. I showed the genius it. Took a few times to try and duplicate it but I got it to. He didn't even research it like they normally would. He said "Well I hope they fix it on the next update." smh

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's so weird that it did not happen on the 5 but it is on the 5s. I went to the genius bar this week and they claimed they had not heard of this issue. I showed the genius it. Took a few times to try and duplicate it but I got it to. He didn't even research it like they normally would. He said "Well I hope they fix it on the next update." smh
I find it odd that they would say they haven't heard of this problem since it has been posted as an issue on Apples own community website forum. Probably did hear of it before but didn't want to be bothered with this issue.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I find it odd that they would say they haven't heard of this problem since it has been posted as an issue on Apples own community website forum. Probably did hear of it before but didn't want to be bothered with this issue.

Yeah I kind of felt that way. Usually the genius bar is very helpful and friendly but it was a rare bad experience.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I believe the choppy home screen on the 5S is due to the parallax effect having issues with the faulty internal sensors of the phone... the same ones causing the inaccurate level readings.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
But that is not the root of the problem. It doesn't do it on iPhone 5.

Because the iPhone 5 doesn't have widespread problems with the sensors that measure level and pitch. The parallax effect is directly controlled by these sensors... and many 5S owners, myself included, have sensors that are not accurate.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Because the iPhone 5 doesn't have widespread problems with the sensors that measure level and pitch. The parallax effect is directly controlled by these sensors... and many 5S owners, myself included, have sensors that are not accurate.

It's true. If you have screwy sensors, I advise you (or anyone) to head to Apple and warranty it. I did it today, and my replacement phone is night and day better. The level is dead accurate, the fingerprint reader picks up my print 100% of the time now (and faster too), and the OS is noticeably faster and smoother than my original 5s.

Oddly, the production on the replacement I got was Sept 19th, so it isn't just a matter of newer phones being fixed, because my repl was also early production.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's true. If you have screwy sensors, I advise you (or anyone) to head to Apple and warranty it. I did it today, and my replacement phone is night and day better. The level is dead accurate, the fingerprint reader picks up my print 100% of the time now (and faster too), and the OS is noticeably faster and smoother than my original 5s.

Oddly, the production on the replacement I got was Sept 19th, so it isn't just a matter of newer phones being fixed, because my repl was also early production.

​How did you determine the production date?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Just tested my compass. It's spot on so that's not to blame for the jumpy and choppiness of my screen. Plus, my finger print scanner has been spot on so I don't see a reason to swap. I'll wait to see what software updates do.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Just tested my compass. It's spot on so that's not to blame for the jumpy and choppiness of my screen. Plus, my finger print scanner has been spot on so I don't see a reason to swap. I'll wait to see what software updates do.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see what the next few updates bring before running back to the Apple Store again. Apple usually works out the kinks rather quickly.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

Oh ok. I had more than one issue, so it was worth it to swap for me. :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see what the next few updates bring before running back to the Apple Store again. Apple usually works out the kinks rather quickly.

I did test my wife's compass. It was off by 2. Mine was even. Hers that is off by 2 has a little less of the choppiness to hers. Smh.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen