iPhone 5s Screen Size Concerns

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you stick an iPhone 5s (or 5c) next to some of the other popular devices of the day, you can't help but notice the difference in screen size. In MOST cases, the iPhone looks tiny.

Is this a concern for anyone out there? Or does Apple have the 4" screen size 'just right' for you? Do you think Apple is testing/developing a device with a larger screen to cater to folks that want a larger screen?

These thoughts just came to mind... had to post :) Sound off!

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I find the opposite. I think other devices look HUGE compared to the 4" display on my 5s. I have owned some large screened Android phones in the past. Although it was nice having a large display for browsing, I found the phones to be too large to easily carry around in a pocket, etc. I also like how everything on the iPhone can be done with one hand, whereas the Android phones with giganto displays are TOO large to reach the entire display one handed...and I have big hands.

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I love the current size. Larger screens are not for me. I like only having to use 1 hand. Would I buy one? Not at this time. I'm content with the size.

Sent from my sweet southern soulful Iphone 5.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Tons of post here about people wanting a bigger screen every time a new iPhone is released; especially when an Android device is release with a 4 1/2" screen. I don't see Apple changing the size any time soon. It fits with their model of being able to use the device with one hand; your thumb being able to access any point on the phone without any strain. Just my thoughts on it

perryfamily10

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree I like the screen size of the iPhone now... I wouldn't mind it to be slightly bigger maybe 4.2 but I'm not sure I will be buy a phone much bigger then that. My mom had a s3 and now has a s4 and I don't like the size at all.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've owned several large screened Android phones and I dreaded the day I got an iPhone because I felt the screen was too small. After a year and a half of owning the 4S, 5 & now 5S, I've come to appreciate the 4" screen. With all the traveling I do each week, its nice to have a phone, with an extremely clear screen, that I can control with one hand, as I'm running around the airport. Plus the size is convenient and I can pretty much put it anywhere. Hated it at 1st but I've grown to love it! If Apple decides to create a larger iPhone, I'll definitely try it but I'm not at all disappointed with the current screen size.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you stick an iPhone 5s (or 5c) next to some of the other popular devices of the day, you can't help but notice the difference in screen size. In MOST cases, the iPhone looks tiny.

Is this a concern for anyone out there? Or does Apple have the 4" screen size 'just right' for you? Do you think Apple is testing/developing a device with a larger screen to cater to folks that want a larger screen?

These thoughts just came to mind... had to post :) Sound off!

I think Apple has tested tons of different iPhones with various screen sizes. Still as we speak. If they can get the hardware down good enough to which it coincides with good battery life, not sacrificing thinness of the device in order to keep the retina resolution on it, and somehow actually make iOS more compatible with a bigger screen (touch gestures, etc.), then I don't see why they wouldn't come out with a bigger screen if it's ready.

I personally would love to have a bigger screen on my iPhone. Without making it taller.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually for me the 5 and 5S is the absolute MAX threshold I can tolerate on device size. So if they go bigger on screen size, I won't be happy if the device size changes to accommodate that and will likely not upgrade because that's a dealbreaker. Part of why I don't want an Android phone (besides generally not wanting anything to do with that OS again) is that I don't want a big phone, a phablet or anything of the same. One hand use and being able to put it in my pocket is a big deal. I thought the 4/4S was even too big device-size-wise. I want something pocketable, women's pockets are not cavernous. Carrying it in my hand is not practical, and I don't want to have to put it in my purse because it's too big for my pocket.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I quite like the 5s's screen size.

But I expect there to be a larger iPhone 6, and I expect that it'll be designed in such a way that I may want the larger screen size when the time comes.

Or I may stick with the 5s for a couple of years, now that it's pentaband for North America and has many LTE bands for overseas travel...

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Regarding one handed usage.
Read something by Gruber or Dalrymple recently where they scoffed at a feature on some large screened android device.
Basically it was a small screen mode, where the app currently running takes up less than the full size of the screen.
I thought it was a great idea.
Big screen for media, games etc. & a smaller screen for activities where one handed use is preferred.
Best of both worlds.

dianahk

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am happy with the 5S size and really hope the next installations do not get much bigger. I like to slip my phone in the front pocket of my pants and can currently do that easily. I have small hands and a larger device would be awkward and clumsy in my hands. I fear I am in the minority opinion. I just love the current size.

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Certainly, but I don't think Apple feels the need for a larger screen unless it's the last resort from lack of innovation/differentiation. I trust their design engineers. Look at the sales fig of iPhone 5/5S vs GS3 vs Z10...

ankush77

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
personally 4.2 or 4.3 will be a perfect device,i also don't support very big device but future technologies in image high definition may need to see real differentiation with big screens.

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you asking this question in other Mobile Nations forums? So far in this thread, it looks exactly like I thought that it would with a majority saying that they prefer smaller phones. If you ask this question on AC in the Note 3 sub-forum, you will get the opposite response.

The iPhone is on its seventh iteration and the Note is on its third iteration. Most forum dwellers are familiar enough with phones to make a decision that aligns with their preferences. I'm trying to understand what you were really looking for with this post.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I would like a bigger iPhone but not a lot bigger. I thought the Galaxy S3 and S4 were a nice size but you definitely give up pocketability in that range. I rarely use my iPhone one-handed (I'm clumsy, what can I say?) so having to use two hands to operate my phone is not a concern for me.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I do want a larger screen on an iPhone. I currently have an iPhone 5 and HTC One. The screen size and quality on the HTC is fantastic and I would jump on an iPhone with a screen size similar to that. I love the Apple ecosystem and iOS is perfect for me. I'm growing used to Android and the HTC is a stunning phone too, don't get me wrong. Basically, as I have posted on sister sites, I buy whatever phone fits my needs at the time and hold no allegiance to any brand or OS. The HTC beats my iPhone on screen size/quality and battery life. On pretty much everything else, it comes second to the iPhone. I use the HTC for work and the iPhone for personal use.

EDIT: this is my opinion, not a statement of fact.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you asking this question in other Mobile Nations forums? So far in this thread, it looks exactly like I thought that it would with a majority saying that they prefer smaller phones.
James asked whether the 4-inch size of the iPhone 5, 5C & 5S is a concern or is just right the right size. Some stated that they wouldn't mind a larger iPhone, but the current size is not a problem whereas other stated that the current size is just what they prefer.
If you ask this question on AC in the Note 3 sub-forum, you will get the opposite response.
You're probably right.

The iPhone is on its seventh iteration and the Note is on its third iteration.
???
Most forum dwellers are familiar enough with phones to make a decision that aligns with their preferences.
Agreed
I'm trying to understand what you were really looking for with this post.
Personally, I thought his post was pretty straightforward.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711