iPhone 5s Screen Size Concerns

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I love Apple and i love iOS. But I have been using bigger screen phones from the competition and I think my upgrade in the next two months is not very straight forward. I am really enjoy the extra screen real estate when I play with those phones, and they are not much bigger in physical dimensions. I may get the Nexus 5 this year and hope Apple does a bigger screen next year.

jakspurs

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time android user who has just returned to the iPhone 5s [i owned the original iPhone]. Now I really like Android it's great but the reason I've returned to iPhone5s - Screen size!!!

If you want the android flagship phones then the only choice is 4.7in plus. Much too big for my tastes.

My sweet spot is 4.3in screen, iPhone is the closest flagship.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If Apple decides to create a larger iPhone, I'll definitely try it but I'm not at all disappointed with the current screen size.

I concur. The iP5's 4" screen seems about right to me. I have small enough hands that I can't quite reach everything 1-handed but that's fine. If Apple released an iPhone with a bigger screen I would be interested (just more apple goodness on one screen, right?) but I am not dissatisfied with the 4" phone.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I know it may be wishful thinking, but I really wish apple would offer two differently sized phones. I know for some the 4" screen that they have is perfect. And thats great. Personally I find it a bit too narrow to type comfortably. I always feel as if I'm really "pecking" at the keys... its just not comfortable!

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing the screen a little wider. The current width, at least for me, makes it somewhat uncomfortable for two thumbed typing. It wouldn't hurt to be just a shade larger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jevalladares

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 5/5s/5c screen is just perfect for my needs. When I'm on the go i want portability thet will not take much space in my pocket. And when at home or the office, the big iPad displays is my goto device.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I see people with Android devices on the train all the time. The humongous screen while they use it like a phone to me just seems ridiculous. They are happy and kudos to them it's their money and it fulfils their needs. When I look at it though I try to imagine myself using it and I just could never do it. This morning as I was sitting there listening to music on my iPhone 5s I went to switch to the playlist and it was a bit of a stretch to tap where I needed to holding the phone in one hand. Sure I could have held it with two but for some reason my brain just doesn't want to use it that way. Am I excited when I heard that Apple may make an iPhone with a bigger (4.5 or 5") screen? I am but not because the screen is simply bigger. I'm excited becasue I know what Apple does, they do things the competitors do but in a better way. I'm excited because the screen might be bigger but they will somehow do it in a way that gets great battery life, and make using the phone with two hands more natural. My concern is that although Android devices come in 20 million flavors Apple only makes one model of iPhone. So if they make a bigger screen size it's not like you have the choice between the 4" and the 5" model. Well unless you buy the older model but then you'll be spending money for limited usability due to older hardware. So if it is just too big then I'm either going to be stuck with my old hardware or I'm going to be pushed into using this bigger screen.

On a side note for people who have used these gigantic phablets where do you keep them? If I have to put my phone in my backpack then what is the point of having a phone? At 6" I just can't see how it will fit into my jeans' pocket.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Apple would get more customers if they offered a larger iPhone (and kept a smaller version too), like the way they have the regular iPad and the iPad Mini.

I actually like iOS, but I'd never consider an iPhone due to the small screen size. I prefer typing in portrait mode, not landscape mode, and the iPhone is just not wide enough for me to easily type without accidentally pressing adjacent keys by mistake. I have a much easier time typing on a Samsung Galaxy S4 than on an iPhone 5S.

If Apple wants me to even consider the iPhone, then a larger device is a must.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Laura. I used the iPhone 4 and 5 and recently went to the Moto Razr Maxx HD with a 4.7 screen. I love the extra space - not to mention the ability to "design" the screens and use Swype. While with the iPhones, I was happy with the screen size, but when I shifted to the RM, the iPhone looked pretty tiny by comparison. To do any type of internet use, the small size screen is a definite disadvantage, even though the screen is outstanding in its clarity.

I miss the Apple culture because I also have an iPad Mini and a MacBook Pro. The integration was exceptionally good. But personally, I'm not returning to the iPhone fold until there IS a larger screen. I don't want a "phablet" by any means, but the 4.7 size is very functional.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
If I have to put my phone in my backpack then what is the point of having a phone? At 6" I just can't see how it will fit into my jeans' pocket.

Baggy pants and 2sizes bigger than your size. :)
Yeah I honestly do not feel like I'm missing out on the size of even an s4. I see my sis using it and all but it's too big to be carrying around freely. Slightly bigger at most half an inch diagonally increase but stop there. Anymore n it's too big.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It's even worse if you're female. They don't seem to make jeans for women that have nice deep pockets. Some of us prefer not to carry a purse. I don't think I could get a phone much bigger than the iPhone in my jeans-and these aren't super snug skinny hipster jeans, just standard ones from the Gap.

A year or so ago, Gizmodo had a funny series of photos showing how much of various phones stick out of a pair of jeans. It was pretty funny.
Note that this was a really skinny female (5'8" 107 lbs), but most of the phones they tried didn't fit really well at all.
http://gizmodo.com/5918418/giant-smartphones-in-skinny-jeans-a-photoshoot

Yes I prefer females in such jeans. ;) tighter the better ain't it?

Tre

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the 3.5 inch screen as it was the perfect size for one handed use (I can just barely palm a basketball). The 4 inch is nice given the extra real estate, but it is harder to operate one-handed and the elongated aspect ratio isn't my favorite. Nonetheless, I love my 5s over my 4.

Laughinghyena

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I see people with Android devices on the train all the time. The humongous screen while they use it like a phone to me just seems ridiculous. They are happy and kudos to them it's their money and it fulfils their needs. When I look at it though I try to imagine myself using it and I just could never do it. This morning as I was sitting there listening to music on my iPhone 5s I went to switch to the playlist and it was a bit of a stretch to tap where I needed to holding the phone in one hand. Sure I could have held it with two but for some reason my brain just doesn't want to use it that way. Am I excited when I heard that Apple may make an iPhone with a bigger (4.5 or 5") screen? I am but not because the screen is simply bigger. I'm excited becasue I know what Apple does, they do things the competitors do but in a better way. I'm excited because the screen might be bigger but they will somehow do it in a way that gets great battery life, and make using the phone with two hands more natural. My concern is that although Android devices come in 20 million flavors Apple only makes one model of iPhone. So if they make a bigger screen size it's not like you have the choice between the 4" and the 5" model. Well unless you buy the older model but then you'll be spending money for limited usability due to older hardware. So if it is just too big then I'm either going to be stuck with my old hardware or I'm going to be pushed into using this bigger screen.

On a side note for people who have used these gigantic phablets where do you keep them? If I have to put my phone in my backpack then what is the point of having a phone? At 6" I just can't see how it will fit into my jeans' pocket.

I keep my s4 in my back pocket. I've got a big Latin booty so it fits right in. My iphone however is small enough to fit in my bra.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I keep my s4 in my back pocket. I've got a big Latin booty so it fits right in. My iphone however is small enough to fit in my bra.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

This made me laugh.
Sitting at the table for Thanksgiving dinner, a pleasant conversation is interrupted by a ringing phone, "Sorry grandpa, I have to take this", followed by shocked and disbelieving stares as woman digs phone out of bra and then readjusts herself.

Xx BEN xX

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I think the size of the 5 and 5s is perfect. I am not going to sit here and say that samsung sucks or whatever whatever... But I just can't get into the large phones. Like the new galaxy "mega" c'mon now really?....

Sent from my iPhone 5s

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is just providing apple with free market research for diff sizes of wireless phone. I do like this current iPhone size but I will surely adapt to any size apple will throw at me. I highly doubt they would ever make a phone the size of an s4.

kristopherlarry

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I Like The 5/5S 4" Screen But I Also Wouldn't Mind Seeing The Width Expanded A Bit... I Also Rock The Mini @ Work So I Wouldn't Want The Phone To Get To The Point Of Me Asking Y I Have A Mini...

Sent From The State Of Ohio...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal