I see people with Android devices on the train all the time. The humongous screen while they use it like a phone to me just seems ridiculous. They are happy and kudos to them it's their money and it fulfils their needs. When I look at it though I try to imagine myself using it and I just could never do it. This morning as I was sitting there listening to music on my iPhone 5s I went to switch to the playlist and it was a bit of a stretch to tap where I needed to holding the phone in one hand. Sure I could have held it with two but for some reason my brain just doesn't want to use it that way. Am I excited when I heard that Apple may make an iPhone with a bigger (4.5 or 5") screen? I am but not because the screen is simply bigger. I'm excited becasue I know what Apple does, they do things the competitors do but in a better way. I'm excited because the screen might be bigger but they will somehow do it in a way that gets great battery life, and make using the phone with two hands more natural. My concern is that although Android devices come in 20 million flavors Apple only makes one model of iPhone. So if they make a bigger screen size it's not like you have the choice between the 4" and the 5" model. Well unless you buy the older model but then you'll be spending money for limited usability due to older hardware. So if it is just too big then I'm either going to be stuck with my old hardware or I'm going to be pushed into using this bigger screen.

On a side note for people who have used these gigantic phablets where do you keep them? If I have to put my phone in my backpack then what is the point of having a phone? At 6" I just can't see how it will fit into my jeans' pocket.
    jburke82 likes this.
    10-15-2013 09:44 AM
    I think Apple would get more customers if they offered a larger iPhone (and kept a smaller version too), like the way they have the regular iPad and the iPad Mini.

I actually like iOS, but I'd never consider an iPhone due to the small screen size. I prefer typing in portrait mode, not landscape mode, and the iPhone is just not wide enough for me to easily type without accidentally pressing adjacent keys by mistake. I have a much easier time typing on a Samsung Galaxy S4 than on an iPhone 5S.

If Apple wants me to even consider the iPhone, then a larger device is a must.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    10-15-2013 01:16 PM
    I agree with Laura. I used the iPhone 4 and 5 and recently went to the Moto Razr Maxx HD with a 4.7 screen. I love the extra space - not to mention the ability to "design" the screens and use Swype. While with the iPhones, I was happy with the screen size, but when I shifted to the RM, the iPhone looked pretty tiny by comparison. To do any type of internet use, the small size screen is a definite disadvantage, even though the screen is outstanding in its clarity.

I miss the Apple culture because I also have an iPad Mini and a MacBook Pro. The integration was exceptionally good. But personally, I'm not returning to the iPhone fold until there IS a larger screen. I don't want a "phablet" by any means, but the 4.7 size is very functional.
    10-16-2013 12:49 PM
    If I have to put my phone in my backpack then what is the point of having a phone? At 6" I just can't see how it will fit into my jeans' pocket.
    Baggy pants and 2sizes bigger than your size.
    Yeah I honestly do not feel like I'm missing out on the size of even an s4. I see my sis using it and all but it's too big to be carrying around freely. Slightly bigger at most half an inch diagonally increase but stop there. Anymore n it's too big.
    10-16-2013 02:12 PM
    Baggy pants and 2sizes bigger than your size.
    Yeah I honestly do not feel like I'm missing out on the size of even an s4. I see my sis using it and all but it's too big to be carrying around freely. Slightly bigger at most half an inch diagonally increase but stop there. Anymore n it's too big.
    It's even worse if you're female. They don't seem to make jeans for women that have nice deep pockets. Some of us prefer not to carry a purse. I don't think I could get a phone much bigger than the iPhone in my jeans-and these aren't super snug skinny hipster jeans, just standard ones from the Gap.

A year or so ago, Gizmodo had a funny series of photos showing how much of various phones stick out of a pair of jeans. It was pretty funny.
    Note that this was a really skinny female (5'8" 107 lbs), but most of the phones they tried didn't fit really well at all.
    http://gizmodo.com/5918418/giant-sma...s-a-photoshoot
    ame and km12345 like this.
    10-16-2013 02:46 PM
    It's even worse if you're female. They don't seem to make jeans for women that have nice deep pockets. Some of us prefer not to carry a purse. I don't think I could get a phone much bigger than the iPhone in my jeans-and these aren't super snug skinny hipster jeans, just standard ones from the Gap.

A year or so ago, Gizmodo had a funny series of photos showing how much of various phones stick out of a pair of jeans. It was pretty funny.
    Note that this was a really skinny female (5'8" 107 lbs), but most of the phones they tried didn't fit really well at all.
    http://gizmodo.com/5918418/giant-sma...s-a-photoshoot
    Yes I prefer females in such jeans. tighter the better ain't it?
    10-16-2013 03:29 PM
    Yes I prefer females in such jeans. tighter the better ain't it?
    Typical male ;-P

But my main point was that as a female (even in regular non skinny jeans) there isn't room for a big phone in your jeans.
    ame likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:36 PM
    I prefer the 3.5 inch screen as it was the perfect size for one handed use (I can just barely palm a basketball). The 4 inch is nice given the extra real estate, but it is harder to operate one-handed and the elongated aspect ratio isn't my favorite. Nonetheless, I love my 5s over my 4.
    10-16-2013 03:42 PM
    Typical male… ;-P

But my main point was that as a female (even in regular non skinny jeans) there isn't room for a big phone in your jeans.
    You could wear cargo pants every day, start a new trend.
    Why follow when you can lead.

Kidding
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-16-2013 05:04 PM
    I see people with Android devices on the train all the time. The humongous screen while they use it like a phone to me just seems ridiculous. They are happy and kudos to them it's their money and it fulfils their needs. When I look at it though I try to imagine myself using it and I just could never do it. This morning as I was sitting there listening to music on my iPhone 5s I went to switch to the playlist and it was a bit of a stretch to tap where I needed to holding the phone in one hand. Sure I could have held it with two but for some reason my brain just doesn't want to use it that way. Am I excited when I heard that Apple may make an iPhone with a bigger (4.5 or 5") screen? I am but not because the screen is simply bigger. I'm excited becasue I know what Apple does, they do things the competitors do but in a better way. I'm excited because the screen might be bigger but they will somehow do it in a way that gets great battery life, and make using the phone with two hands more natural. My concern is that although Android devices come in 20 million flavors Apple only makes one model of iPhone. So if they make a bigger screen size it's not like you have the choice between the 4" and the 5" model. Well unless you buy the older model but then you'll be spending money for limited usability due to older hardware. So if it is just too big then I'm either going to be stuck with my old hardware or I'm going to be pushed into using this bigger screen.

On a side note for people who have used these gigantic phablets where do you keep them? If I have to put my phone in my backpack then what is the point of having a phone? At 6" I just can't see how it will fit into my jeans' pocket.
    I keep my s4 in my back pocket. I've got a big Latin booty so it fits right in. My iphone however is small enough to fit in my bra.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    10-17-2013 01:58 AM
    I keep my s4 in my back pocket. I've got a big Latin booty so it fits right in. My iphone however is small enough to fit in my bra.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    This made me laugh.
    Sitting at the table for Thanksgiving dinner, a pleasant conversation is interrupted by a ringing phone, "Sorry grandpa, I have to take this", followed by shocked and disbelieving stares as woman digs phone out of bra and then readjusts herself.
    10-17-2013 06:19 AM
    I think the size of the 5 and 5s is perfect. I am not going to sit here and say that samsung sucks or whatever whatever... But I just can't get into the large phones. Like the new galaxy "mega" c'mon now really?....

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    10-17-2013 07:18 AM
    Samsung is just providing apple with free market research for diff sizes of wireless phone. I do like this current iPhone size but I will surely adapt to any size apple will throw at me. I highly doubt they would ever make a phone the size of an s4.
    10-17-2013 08:00 AM
    I Like The 5/5S 4" Screen But I Also Wouldn't Mind Seeing The Width Expanded A Bit... I Also Rock The Mini @ Work So I Wouldn't Want The Phone To Get To The Point Of Me Asking Y I Have A Mini...

Sent From The State Of Ohio...
    10-17-2013 08:30 AM
    You could wear cargo pants every day, start a new trend.
    Why follow when you can lead.

Kidding
    Well, at work I wear fitted cargos sometimes, but I don't want my phone in a leg pocket, nor are the top pockets big enough for the phone.
    10-17-2013 12:36 PM
    Actually for me the 5 and 5S is the absolute MAX threshold I can tolerate on device size. So if they go bigger on screen size, I won't be happy if the device size changes to accommodate that and will likely not upgrade because that's a dealbreaker. Part of why I don't want an Android phone (besides generally not wanting anything to do with that OS again) is that I don't want a big phone, a phablet or anything of the same. One hand use and being able to put it in my pocket is a big deal. I thought the 4/4S was even too big device-size-wise. I want something pocketable, women's pockets are not cavernous. Carrying it in my hand is not practical, and I don't want to have to put it in my purse because it's too big for my pocket.
    I thought that I would be the same as you. That's why I love the Q10. Then I bought the Z30, a 5 inch screen. I find it great!! Even time I go back to use the Q10, there is always a second or two of 'man this is small!!'.
    10-17-2013 07:44 PM
    Do people run a 'search' first in these forums anymore before starting a new thread? Just curious.
    A great many do but I am sure one would have to say that the same amount if not more forget and don't hence the reason for duplicate threads. It is always going to be something that goes along with a forum as busy as this one. Right or Wrong!!

Not much of a concern of mine and you can also read my 2nd post to preference.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 10-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    10-17-2013 09:35 PM
    I like the 4" very much. If I had to have a larger screen I would not want anything larger than 4 1/2" having said that anything larger like darn near almost all the Androids I don't want to carry around a hand held TV.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 10-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    10-17-2013 09:39 PM
    The GS4 device size is not much different from the S3. Samsung added .2 by decreasing bezel size. They did the same in the Note III compares to its predecessor.

With gesture typing and S Voice and Google Now you can do a ton with one hand :-)

Most people here are happy with their device sizes. It's why they bought the device. I had an i4 and went back to Android because the small screen is unusable for large amounts of reading and writing for me. Editing office documents on a screen that small just doesn't cut it for me. Web browsing also isn't as good.

I do like how apple put the front camera in the middle though ;-)

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    10-17-2013 11:49 PM
    To be honest this is the only reason I am debating between platforms for my next purchase. I would like a screen larger than 4". If there was a 5" iPhone I would scoop it right away. I am still considering the iPhone 6 if it has a 4" screen.
    10-18-2013 12:14 AM
    I think the main issue is that Apple is missing potential customers by not offering a device with a larger screen. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I believe that Apple would get more customers if devices with both the current screen size and a larger screen size were available. I'm not saying the smaller screen size should be eliminated, but I believe 2 sizes should be offered. There are folks who will not even consider the iPhone due to the small screen size.
    LazyStarGazer likes this.
    10-18-2013 12:15 AM
    I think Apple should stay Apple.. Save the big screens for Samsung and movie theatres

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    10-18-2013 12:42 AM
    I think Apple should stay Apple.. Save the big screens for Samsung and movie theatres

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    Well, they do have two different iPad sizes.

Some folks might enjoy watching Netflix movies on a bigger iPhone.
    10-18-2013 01:36 AM
    Some might yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    10-18-2013 04:50 AM
    I think the main issue is that Apple is missing potential customers by not offering a device with a larger screen. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I believe that Apple would get more customers if devices with both the current screen size and a larger screen size were available. I'm not saying the smaller screen size should be eliminated, but I believe 2 sizes should be offered. There are folks who will not even consider the iPhone due to the small screen size.
    Agreed.
    I've said the same thing, 2 device sizes = wider addressable market with minor fragmentation.
    10-18-2013 05:54 AM
76 1234